• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 Upgrades

DesertDenizen

Private
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2010
AZ
Hello all,

I tried to do a search to answer my questions but I could not find much. I bought a Rem 700 from WalMart, the type with a blind magazine and synthetic stock, in .30-06. I want to replace the stock but I haven't had any luck finding an aftermarket example for rifles that don't have a floor plate; might you know of one to recommend? I'd also like to hear from people with this or a similar rifle and get your input as to accuracy and modifications that you have done, including bedding, scopes, ammo experience, and any other findings. Thanks to all--

DD-

Re: Remington 700 Upgrades

First,

Use this search function: http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=010955838166721108978:qcbx5qqy10o&hl=en

Search for terms like REmington 700 Barrel, or Remington 700 ADL. The Bell and Carlson stocks are very popular, as are the McMillans and Manners... Good luck in your search. Push comes to shove just call up one of the stock companies and ask them about their options. Also, spend a TON of time here READING! I've learned a LOT just by keeping my mouth shut and reading on what others are doing.

Mike

Buy the bottom metal of someone who upgraded to a box mag. Or get a box mag and decent stock that accepts that.

What model Remington 700 is it, and what will you be doing with the rifle? Also what are you willing to spend on upgrades? This will give us some guidance to help you.

There are a ton of aftermarket parts available for 700's, so you should be able to find something that will work for you without a problem. If you look through the bolt action/Optics threads on this site you will find a lot of info. I think most people prefer McMillan, Accuracy International, or HS Precision stocks. There are other good companies out there, but these seem to be the most popular.

just buy the bottom metal and convert it over to a bdl

Thanks all. I did a cursory search for conversions but didn't find anything specific to a .30-06 but tons related to the .308 because of its popularity and worldwide use. As for which 700 this is, on the box it is referred to as an SPS but the paperwork that came with it calls it an ADL. I also browsed the sites of the stock manufacturers listed but didn't see a stock listed for rifles with blind mags. Converting to a box mag sounds great, I will have to research stock/mag combos for sale so there aren't any issues like inletting that I will have to deal with. I've never done it before and I'm pretty good with a Dremel, but I'm not about to ruin something when I could spend a few bucks and have it done the right way. Thanks again guys--

Be sure when you are looking for stocks you look for one for a "long action" Remington 700 ADL. The .30-06 only comes in the long action, not the short action (like the M40) and they use two different stocks.

Also, IF you are going to convert it to a bottom-opening magazine that is the BDL model, so you would need to get a stock for a long action BDL instead (so you wouldn't have to inlet any wood). The only other issue that jumps to mind in the conversion would be the magazine body is different between an ADL and a BDL due to the blind magazine floorplate sitting lower and the ADL model has a small screw attaching it to the receiver that the BDL does not have, but a BDL magazine will fit on an ADL receiver without the screw (or you can trim the ADL magazine down to fit, if you are really trying to save money). And, of course, you would also need the BDL floorplate and follower for .30-06 to go in it. I had to do that on my short action ADL stock along with cutting it for the BDL floorplate on my M40 replica project, but otherwise just getting a BDL stock in the first place would be a good bit easier. Oh, and be sure to get one that matches your barrel profile- either the standard or the varmint, depending on which barrel you have. Hope that helps.

While on the subject of barrel contour, remember that you can get a stock for a smaller barrel contour and open up the channel with a wooden dowel and sand paper. Just make sure you don't buy one too undersized as not all stocks have enough material to open up. I suspect you won't have this problem as you're probably not going to run a really heavy barrel that requires modification to the channel. Best of luck

Mike

Thanks again everyone. I know the .30-06 is a long action, but I wouldn't modify the existing stock. More like take it off and throw it in the closet. I know have to decide whether to get a BDL setup with hinged floor plate or detachable magazine; I have to admit, those 10 round .308 mag setups look awesome and wish there was a setup available in .30-06 but I couldn't find it so far. Here's a pic of my current setup, I hope you can identify what barrel taper it is:

Rem700.jpg

In my humble and inexperienced opinion - trigger job would be the best upgrade, and I personally like AICS stock much better than the original Rem (and it helps getting tighter groups).

Other than that - lots of things, like blueprinting the action (which I haven't done - my gun still outshoots me as it is), re-crowning the barrel (same thing - same reason), etc.

Trigger job 2.5 pounds, better scope, rings and base,KDF muzzle brake and a HS stock for standard barrel. Shoot off of sand bags for proper zero, Karsten Cheek Piece. Magazine conversion optional. 30-06 is a long 308 so the 168 gr would serve you well. Good Luck

Agree with most here... Better stock/trigger, and develope some handloads for it and shoot the piss out of it. By the time you get it all nailed down you'll have enough knowledge to know whether you want to go the custom route based off your action or just stick to the basics.

I myself am starting my first build and started with a 700 LA and am throwing it into a HS Precision stock, Tuned 'pre 2006' trigger, Rock creek 1:8.7 twist M24 contour barrel chambered for 280 Ackley, Seekins base/rings, Vortex PST Scope... Got everything but the scope and am putting it together at the end of this month so I'm pretty stoked! Good luck!

Mike

Barrel taper is a sporter. Thats Remingtons 700SPS. Id get a new trigger and probs stock. A Hogue from a SPS Tactical would be an inexpensive choice as they can be had for 50 USD from some gunsmiths. Depends what you want to do with the rifle in the long run??

Hunting and target shooting. If this rifle was capable of 1/2 inch groups at XXX yards, then I would love to capitalize on improvements to achieve that. In short, achieve the best accuracy possible with a different stock, trigger and glass. As for reloading, I live in an apartment and don't have room to set up a reloader and the associated equipment or else I would have been all over that. The stock and scope are definitely going to be replaced; I knew the scope was going bye bye when I bought the rifle but wanted to search for feedback on what scopes were recommended. Thanks to this forum I will likely get a Vortex Viper which seems to be a lot of scope for the money. I'll concentrate on a BDL type stock with preferably a detachable magazine that I can drop the rifle into, something that I don't have to worry about bedding or modifying too much. I appreciate all the replies!

you would be surprised how much you can actually set up to reload in a small space! I lived in a pretty small apartment and ran a single stage press on a small bench I screwed together. Nothing elegant, but it will work for you I bet as long as you keep it simple.

I really feel like good handloads were the BEST thing I have ever done for any rifle.

Man it's tempting, but I know I wouldn't stop at .30-06! I would reload .45acp, 5.56 and .30 carbine too, I'm sure of it. I tried to go in halves with a buddy on a Dillon progressive reloader but he opted out of it, which would have been great. He has a lot of room in his garage for a setup that we already scoped out. Oh well. I'll buy some high quality factory ammo for sighting in purposes and keep the brass for later.

Your in the same boat I was in 4 years ago. I got the same rifle, 30-06 ADL. While its been a live and learn process, there are some things you can skip over that I SHOULD have done. First, better optics. I put and EGW 20moa base, Leupold PRW rings and a bushnell 3200 tactical on it. I tried to make the flimsy factory stock work, a waste of time. I ended up getting a Stockade Tactical/Prarie dog for it. Some DIY stuff was a stress free bed job using WNRoscoes instructions, bedding the scope base, and adjusting the factory trigger. All that is left now is a new barrel, and bluepring the action, but that will have to wait. I considered converting to a BDL set up, but that would mean I got to inlet the stock, and I am not prepared to do that as of now, nor am I willing to buy another stock just for that. As for a DBM setup I think some gringing on the action is needed for the mags to work, again, not up for doing that either.

I've looked at various stock manufacturers and what kind of metal to attach to it. I've decided on the Hogue overmolded stock with full aluminun block bedding and a Kwik Klip detachable magazine floor plate. I spoke with people who have both and so far, they have been pretty impressed. Since I have a bunch of Devcon epoxy (leftover from my workplace) I may just play around and bed the stock it came with. I have never attempted this before; do I bed the entire action/barrel channel area or just the action? Thanks all--

What do you really intend to do with the rifle?

If hunting then I would get a better Stock like the B&C or McMillan cut for the ADL triggerguard, trigger job, alum. triggerguard, Talley Lightweight 2-Piece Scope Mounts 1" Medium Matte, Weaver V9 3-9x38 or a Bushnell 3200 3-9x40 or similar, flip up caps and a good leather sling.

Thanks for the bedding link, and to everyone for the private messages. The rifle will primarily be for hunting but target shooting too. I searched for bad news concerning the Hogue but all I really saw were vague suggestions to others to get rid of it, and that the pillar bedded version was prone to flex. Couldn't find anything detrimental about the aluminum block bedded stock, so I thought that was a good sign. I will be going with a 30mm scope of larger magnification than 3-9 power; wish I'd kept my Kahles. Oh well. I like the first focal plane and etched reticule found in many scopes today but I do appreciate the input.