• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Remington 700 varmint

Ed Kurzawa

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2010
Shelby Twp, Mi
I was just at my local Dicks Sporting goods and looked at a Remington 700 .308 that was just marked "Varmint" with a grassy earthtone colored stock. No SPS, ADL or anything like that marked on it. Just varmint. Is this a sps varmint?`It has the heavy contour varmint barrel but is not stamped anything but varmint. The gun was 459.00 with a scope. The scope is useless i know. Is this a good price? Are these guns normally good shooters? Im torn between Remington and the savage 10FP, but this gun is almost 200 bucks cheaper. The gun will be used for hunting and paper punching, and will probably not remain stock for very long. Any input?

Re: Remington 700 varmint

The Remington 700 SPS-Varmint is not marked "Varmint".

The .308 version is a good shooting rifle out of the box. It's better when put in a good stock. The .223's have had some chamber issues.

It seems like a decent price. It's a good starting place if you don't have a lot of cash.

I have found out the rifle is a ADL varmint. I google searched and found a pic of the gun im looking at. Same camo stock, and no hinged floor plate. Are the ADL's even made anymore? Would this be a good buy, or should i find a gun with the floorplate? Will i later on be able to run a DBM with this gun?

Brownells sells a BDL kit, you do have to buy an additional screw, I don't know why it isn't included.

Whenever you upgrade your stock, buy one for a BDL and buy the kit.

Easy fix.

I saw the same add today. I am considering a Remington for my next rifle after my Savage 280 rem is done being built. Might look into a 223 for a varmit rifle and cheaper hand loading components.

This is actually a Rifle made exclusively for Dick's sporting goods is what I was told by a buddy that runs the gun department here locally it is the sps varmit and it comes with a green stock instead of the grey. I looked at the same rifle to buy then I lucked up and found an sps varmit at Gander for a great deal. Strange that the varmit with the grey stock is not stamped varmit

My brother just picked up the same rifle from Dick's about 2 weeks ago. It was a 308 ADL so I gave him a 700P stock I had laying around my gun room, mounted a Leupold also laying around and proceded to shoot around 1" with his reloads. He doesn't take the time to work up a load, he just shoots what he has in his boxes. So on that note if it wont stay stock for long its money well spent in my book. Thinking about picking one up for the wife.

I was also thinking of possibly getting one of these rifles that they have at dicks sporting goods, does any one know if these will qualify for any of the rebates that Remington has out this fall?

I bought one of these rifles a few months back. $480 otd with tax etc. It came with a Remmy 4-12 scope. Good deal.

It shoots just like my SPS Varmint did, under an inch @100yds. I got the Brownells BDL kit and put it in an old HS prec stock I had lying around. Shoots great, easily sub-moa to 600yds with my match ammo. Is now my practice rifle. Thinking to have the bolt bushed and see what difference it makes.

Hope that helps.

SY

Had a couple at the local Dick's for $449. Sitting right next to them was ann ADL model for $599. $150 more and couldn't see any difference between the two. Didn't handle them, but from my side of the counter the looked identically the same.

My brother in law picked up the .223 what's the twist rate on the barrel. He wants me to load some ammo for him. Just wondering what bullets it will favor.

It's a thread revival, but I just wanted to give a shout out that my $450 Camo ADL Varmint 308 consistently produced 1" at 100 with Aussie A4 mil surp: both me and my bro shooting it just blasting for fun yesterday. This is my first trip out after having Lawson's cut it down from 26" to 22" with a recessed step crown. I also FF bedded with MarineTex, built up the palm swell, and lowered the X-mark trigger pull. I'm relieved it shot so well, so I don't have to trouble-shoot which of the 3 major mods might have screwed up the accuracy!

Before all that I was shooting under 1" with FGMM, so I'm looking forward to heading back with match ammo and really focusing at the 200 yd range. Oh yeah, the $450 also came with scope installed...the bases I think are Loopy and just fine. The scope I put on a 22, and replaced with a $100 Pentax Pioneer. Rings went in the storage box, replaced with Warne.

Guess what? My bro is now a varmint contour 700 convert...

I bought one of these in 308. It is an SPS Varmint barreled action with ADL blind mag. The stock is same as SPS Varmint only ADL config, and it is camo. Basically it is an SPS varmint made in ADL config for Dicks. It comes with a chicom scope and Leup Rifleman 2 piece mounts. Scope is junk... literally.

It does not qualify under the Spring 2011 rebate $75 for SPS Varmint rifles - I contacted the rebate center with the model # and they said no good. However Dicks has a $50 mail in rebate for ADL Varmint Rifles good until May I think. You have to ask the salesperson for the rebate form.

Mine is going in a MCS-T with mini-chassis so lack of BDL bottom metal and box mag no big loss.

I bought one of these as a hunting stick. Waiting on the Dick's rebate check now. Shoots so good, think I'll go get another.and use it as a base for a custom rig.

The Scopes work great...on a .22lr

At the time I bought mine they were on sale, so with the rebate and my Dicks Rewards it came out pretty cheap IIRC. The only other caliber choices they had in stock were .223 and 22-250. I have enough 223s that I don't shoot enough and I didn't feel the need for a 22-250.

If they had a .243 Win in stock I would have had a hard time letting it remain in stock. The Dicks ADL Varmints only come in the caliber choices that the SPS Varmints do; so no 260 Rem or 7mm-08 Rem.

Last night I opened up the buttstock to reveal a cavern. So I mixed up some 2 part epoxy with baking soda and lined it with that. Much stiffer now. Then I hammered a 2x3" thin steel plate to fit inside to back a side sling swivel stud, then another coat of epoxy over that with a piece of fiberglass mesh.

ETA: found a 1" dia rod of sintered metal or something wrapped in a fibercoat layer. No idea where I got it, but I have one of those garages packrats dream about. So I chopped that into bite size pieces and am going to use them with mesh and epoxy to fill the hole.

They are on sale at Dick's here in Oregon. The $449 price is after the Dick's $50 rebate, it's $499 out the door.

i got mine last year with a o/d green stock, but it had the hinged floor plate. great shooter with a 1-12 twist rate she likes 55gr.
great starter!

Well, I find the 700 varmit a great rifle with a little work of course, I am building a rifle based on this with a shaw barrel (26") supper sniper scope (10x fixed) redifield lock and cross bolt mounts. All is tucked into a PDL stock... that seems like a decent price , but add your extras.
maddawg