• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 VSSF .223 educate me please

mibeaverisland

Private
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2020
I have a very nice Remington 700 VSSF .223 with a Leupold VARI-X lll 6.5-20X50 on top. Many times when I'm searching for information I will see "Sendero" come up in a description. I don't think this is one, but how do you tell for sure?
Thanks

Spife7980 is absolutely right. The ones made in the early 1990s were good rifles. Now the masses want 223s with a faster twist rate. The sendero models are still good rifles. If you’re looking at selling it without the scope you might get $600+. I say this because the 700p in 223 new is about $850. Good luck

Reactions: mibeaverisland
Is your particular rifle stainless steel and fluted (Varmint Stainless Steel Fluted)? If so, its a different version of the sendero family.

Is your particular rifle stainless steel and fluted (Varmint Stainless Steel Fluted)? If so, its a different version of the sendero family.
VSSF is the acronym for Varmint synthetic stainless fluted. The non stainless non fluted brother was VS for varmint synthetic. However call it what you like, a rose by any other name....

The varmint/sendero contours are interchangeable with each other.

I think it may be a short/long action designation but the taper etc should be the same.
Spife, I hate to admit this but i don't understand what you'retrying to tell me. Could you please dummy this down for me?
Spife7980 is absolutely right. The ones made in the early 1990s were good rifles. Now the masses want 223s with a faster twist rate. The sendero models are still good rifles. If you’re looking at selling it without the scope you might get $600+. I say this because the 700p in 223 new is about $850. Good luck
This is a 1:12 if that helps. $600 would be disappointing, I think they retailed around $1100 and I paid $800 used (less than 50 rounds.)
Yes, stainless steel fluted barrel

Two or three years ago there was a recall on the trigger if that helps.
I have sent a request to Remington to see when it was made.

Last edited:
Spife, I hate to admit this but i don't understand what you'retrying to tell me. Could you please dummy this down for me?
This is a 1:12 if that helps. $600 would be disappointing, I think they retailed around $1100 and I paid $800 used (less than 50 rounds.)
Yes, stainless steel fluted barrel

I think the 2 digit code on the barrel is LX or 2003. I bought it around 2009.
Two or three years ago there was a recall on the trigger if that helps.
It wasn’t spife7980 that guesstimated the value it was me. Just my humble opinion on what’s available now. I’m sorry if it seems low and I could be wrong. I paid $590 for mine new. There’s a few on gunbroker ranging from just less than $900 on up but nobody is bidding on them. They’re used rifles and new rifles with similar stuff are about $900, which one would you buy? Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay. Hell someone might be willing to pay more, I was just speaking for myself. Put it out there for what you want and see what happens, you might get it brother 👍

VSSF and Sendero are essential the same rifle with the difference being in cartridges offered. Sendero is 25-06 and up and VSSF is everything below. Exceptions being a 308 in 1999 and a 338 RUM in 2000.

VS and anything with more letters (VSF, VSS, VSSF) is a short action.
It stands for Varmint Synthetic. Originally used H-S Precision stocks and later some Bell and Carlson.
The first run actually had H-S marked recoil pads.
The H-S has a round stamp in the barrel channel, the B&C stamp was oval.

All had a matte finish. If you find one with a gloss finish, it's a Varmint Special that was moved into the synthetic stock.

Sendero describes the long action version of the rifles built. Like mentioned above 25-06, 270, 7 mag, 300 WM etc...

I paid $600 for the scope, think I could get that out of it today?
I've been told it's best to separate them "IF" you wanted to sell a package. Is that true?
I'm getting up there in years and my objective here is to get some ideas on the table for my wife, as she's gonna be the one that has to deal with this stuff one of these days.

I paid $600 for the scope, think I could get that out of it today?
I've been told it's best to separate them "IF" you wanted to sell a package. Is that true?
I'm getting up there in years and my objective here is to get some ideas on the table for my wife, as she's gonna be the one that has to deal with this stuff one of these days.
I’m sorry to hear that. I’m getting close to my expiration date too. Well if it was me I’d sell if I wasn’t gonna shoot again. Take the money and enjoy your time here. I’ve seen too many times after friends have passed while loved ones are grieving, thieving ass “friends or family” walk off with guns and jewelry. Your wife will have enough problems and selling off your stuff will only add to them. You think about what I’m saying and if ever you decide to sell your rifle you just let me know.

I bought a Remington 700 VSSF in .204 Ruger around 2008. It came in a Bell & Carlson synthetic stock with the aluminum bed, and the barrel was a Sendero contour. That is exactly what you have. I’m like 99.9% sire that “Remington Varmint” and “Sendero” are the exact same barrel contour.

I believe I paid something like $1,1000 for my rifle, and it was really nice. In the years that followed I pulled the barrel and used the action to build a .223 PRS style rig. I still have the original barrel and stock, and may actually put the parts back together to have a .20 cal squirrel rig as I’m coming to the conclusion that I’ll likely never do PRS outside of my own improvised courses of fire out in the desert.

Lou

I have a very nice Remington 700 VSSF .223 with a Leupold VARI-X lll 6.5-20X50 on top. Many times when I'm searching for information I will see "Sendero" come up in a description. I don't think this is one, but how do you tell for sure?
Thanks
I don’t know if you’re ready to sell anything or not but I just noticed another member looking for a Leupold scope that sounded like yours. His screen name is “tv308”. It hit really close to home the other day when you mentioned that you were trying to get your affairs in order to insure the wellbeing of your wife. I thought about you when I read his listing and wanted to pass the word in case you didn’t read it. Good luck