• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington 700 VTR

Longguns

Minuteman
Feb 13, 2009
Chattanooga,TN
I have a Rem 700 VTR in .308 Win. My question is does anyone have one and if so how does it shoot. I just got one and I noticied that it has two pressure points at the end of the barrel on the sides at the tip of the forearm. I have always free floated my barrels and I wonder if I remove these pressure points will it help or hurt accuracy. When I shot it today it shot 168 sierra in one hole. Nosler B.T. didn't shoot as well but shot good.It shoots two shots together but the third shot always opens up. Should I remove the Pressure points or not ?

Re: Remington 700 VTR

Have you seen the article in the most recent issue of 'American Rifleman' magazine? They have a review of it in their 'Dope Bag' section.

Were it my VTR, I would locate a gently used H-S Precision stock, as was original equipment on the Rem 700 VS, VSSF, and PSS rifle models. Figure $150-250 on the used marketplace.

Try one on your rifle and see if it makes a difference -- no pressure points; they're freefloated and feature an aluminum bedding block. If the rifle shoots better with the H-S Precision stock, then keep it and either stick your factory VTR stock in the closet (in the original box, don't throw it away), or sell the VTR stock for whatever it will bring.

If the VTR doesn't shoot better in the H-S Precision stock, then sell it (the stock) for what it cost you.
smile.gif

Thanks for the info. I will look in the magazine. I am not unhappy with the way it shoots but I believe it should shoot better. Wonder about the pressure points as whether to remove or not.

It's the March issue. If you don't have it, I'll fax you a copy. Just PM me with your fax number, or email address -- and I can scan you a copy that way.

I have two one in .223 and one in .308, after tossing the factory stocks in the trash and bolting a real stock to them they shoot very, very well!

if you try to take out the pressure point those cheap plastic stocks will just bend any which way and add inconsistent points shot to shot.

either leave them in or ditch the whole stock...

The "tupperware" factory stocks are not thought very well of and most report an increase in accuracy upon their replacement with a suitable, properly bedded (aluminum or otherwise)decent stock.

The HS Precision as suggested is good and I have one of the new Bell & Carlson long range tacticals on a 700 build I'm working on at the momnet and I really like it.

What type of stock did you put on these weapons ? I am looking at the H-S Precision because I have always had good results out of them. The stock the VTR comes in is JUNK.

We had one in the shop to compare next to the SPS Tactical with the same stop. We had it shout a 5 shot group that was right at .8" and the tactical under .6"

I didn't through but 2 groups through both of them. We don't like selling guns that we've sat around a shot all day. We just need to answer the 1 MOA question that comes up.

The big difference I noticed was the trigger pull between them. It VTR was set above 5 LBS and the SPS was 3 1/2. Both had X Mark triggers and will adjust way down, but there was a factory difference.

I don't care much for the stocks. The triangular barrel was interesting.

A friend of mine has a VTR in .223 and he shot a 5 shot group that made a single ragged hole. I was pretty impressed. If you are experiencing problems, I think replacing the stock will get you the most bang for your buck improvement. The rifle is capable of incredible accuracy, but the stock is it's weak point. Although HS precision or Bell and Carlson are ideal, if you're on a budget you might want to look at a hogue overmold. I know a lot of people sneer at them, but it is a huge improvement over the factory stock for a small investment.