• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Remington 700P Bolt and Feeding Question

dkangel

Private
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2009
I took my new remington out for the first time. I noticed that every once in a while - not too much the bolt would miss the bullet in the magazine and not feed. I had to adjust the bullet in the magazine to have it catch. Is this normal for a new rifle and will it go away after I break it in more? Also I chamber it real slow and am not sure if this can cause any kind of issue. Also does placement of the bullet when loading make a difference. For example I notice I can push the bullet more forward in the magazine and also more back. I think the placement may also be an issue. Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Re: Remington 700P Bolt and Feeding Question

Hi,
What you describe suggests a problem with either the magazine follower or the magazine spring. I would suggest sending the rifle back to whoever Remington use for warranty repair in your area.
I work for a large sporting goods chain and we have seen a great many rifles with quality control issues come from Remington in recent months. We recently had to send back 45 rifles, mostly Sendero's, XHR'rs and XCS' with various problems. Give your rifle a thorough inspection before you send it off and when it comes back.
Hope this helps,
Tack

I would take it to a local smith first. Yes, it is probably a warranty issue, but if it's just a magazine spring that is bent wrong it will take a smith about 30 seconds to fix. Depending on the smith he may not even charge you for it.

If the magazine spring has an improper bend in it, it can cause the case head to ride too low in the magazine for the bolt to catch.

I was just playing with it. It looks like it may have been me. I don't think I was loading it properly - straight in and down and not at an angle. You would think it would automatically load straight in.

Make sure the rounds are pressed to the rear of the magazine as you load them. If you get the second to last round too far forward then the top round will not load smoothly.

Also be sure the mag box isn't pinched in the center interfering with the follower.

and all of these comments describe why the BDL floorplate is not the most reliable. Any of the center-feed designs are superior.

Scooter-pie what is an example of a center feed action? I haven't had much experience beyound remington actions and some AR's

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Make sure the rounds are pressed to the rear of the magazine as you load them. If you get the second to last round too far forward then the top round will not load smoothly.</div></div>

That is a good tip. I seem to recall this being the case a couple of times. I will make sure I pull them all towards the back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NY700</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scooter-pie what is an example of a center feed action? I haven't had much experience beyound remington actions and some AR's</div></div>

I second this question. Is there a way to implement a center feed design on this rifle with perhaps the badger ordinance M5 I think its called. Forgive me if I sound dumb. I am a newbie to bolt action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dkangel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there a way to implement a center feed design on this rifle with perhaps the badger ordinance M5 I think its called. Forgive me if I sound dumb. I am a newbie to bolt action. </div></div>

The M5 Magazine system will feed rounds from the magazine. IIRC the AICS mags are single stack at the top. So the round always feed from the center.

Some magazine systems like the HS Precision are staggered. So they feed from either side like the factory box.

Center-feed describes how the cartridge at the top of the stack presents itself and is engaged by the bolt. Both the AICS and HS Precision magazines (& most pistol magazines) are center feed as opposed to alternating feed. The ADL & BDL floorplates, and an M-16 magazine are alternating feed designs. As mentioned above, then you also have staggered stacks and single-stacks. A pistol magazine is an example of a single-stack, center-feed design. This is usually the most reliable design. Staggered feed magazines have a habit of jamming at the most inconvenient times. "Dangerous game" rifles pay a lot of attention to the feed design and extraction system because a misfeed or failed extraction can have very bad consequences. On the other hand, staggered feed designs are convenient and can loaded from the top.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <span style="font-weight: bold">A standard 8rd 1911 magazine</span>is an example of a single-stack, center-feed design. This is usually the most reliable design. </div></div>

Fixed it for you. lol