• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700s and Cratered Primers?

recurry

Private
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2010
Hi All,

I have a 700 LTR that was made in 2008. I just started reloading for it and noticed that my primers are cratering no matter what load I put through it. There are no (other) signs of excessive pressure, and this is happening even with minimal powder loads...

I read on another site that modern Remington 700s are designed to cause primers to crater a little, but just wanted to check with the SH crowd since you guys are the pros.

Is this something to worry about, or is it - as they say elsewhere on the net - simply a design feature of modern Remington 700 rifles?

Thanks,

Russ

PS: Would get the cratering on all factory loads that were run through it as well. No other signs of excessive pressure, just the craters on every primer.

Re: Remington 700s and Cratered Primers?

mine does the exact same thing no matter what. i have had the receiver and bolt trued and the whole 9 yards. still does it. i don't worry about it. i have seen other pss doing the same thing.

Mine too, all trued up, and craters everything.

To stop it you would have to have the firing pin hole shimmed up
(correct term?) and drilled out again for a tighter fit around the pin.
Or have a larger pin fitted.

Not something I'm in a rush to have done, as it shoots fine as it is
smile.gif

On some of my 308 loads Rem primers crater less than Win primers

Mine does it too. Only cure is to drill, bush and re-drill closr to fp diameter

My 700's crater primers too. Never had a pierce, so I don't worry about it.

Awesome, sounds like I'm not the only person seeing this on a new Remington. Thanks for all the feedback guys!

Cheers,

Russ

My 40x cratered and then pierced primers with mild loads. Not good. I sent the bolt to Gre-tan rifles. 65 bucks and less than a week turnaround. it's too easy and cheap not to get it fixed. He turnsdown the f/p and puts a bushing in.

This is a good solution. If you are cratering primers try using harder primers (WIN seem very soft these days, FED seem much harder). Avoid piercing primers or you'll start to erode the FP which will lead to poor FP strikes and more piercing with even hard primers.

mine does this too, nearly brand new, looks like how the bolt face is made. i'm not going to worry about it

A close look at the bolt face of my 700SPS-V shows the firing pin hole has been counterbored with a 45deg bit for about 1/64-1/32. Not the brightest idea from the folks in Ilion.

I have a 700 SPS Varmint from 08 and it craters primers too. I put in a Tubb Speedlock firing pin assembly and it did the same thing. I measured both FP tips and they were within .0002 diameter of each other.

Joe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jodykid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I put in a Tubb Speedlock firing pin assembly and it did the same thing. I measured both FP tips and they were within .0002 diameter of each other.</div></div>

Cause the hole in the boltface is too big.

Bushing it is the best cure, and Gre'Tan's the place.