• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700s

kelleno

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2012
I'm pretty dead-set on getting a Remington 700 for my next build unless I find something for a good price somewhere else. But I do have some questions about the different 700s.

Basically, what are your opinions or pros and cons of:
SPS Tac
SPS Varmint
700 Police
AAC-SD

Feel free to throw in some other guns that you would suggest!

Re: Remington 700s

Remington 700 5R Mil-Spec.

Has a very good barrel and good rifling pattern and the stock is pretty good. And 5R's are considered to be extremely accurate for factory gun.

Heath

I would be +3 on the Milspec 5R. It definitely shot more accurately than the PSS I owned as well....in fact the PSS was sold after seeing the results of the Milspec. This was my first, honest 1/2 moa factory rifle...using FGM ( Federal Gold Match) ammo.

I've heard a lot of good things about the 5R, but I really didn't want to spend over $800.

From my experience, 700 SPS Tactical (the one I have owned) shoots MOA with just about every ammo. I had some 168 homebrews that I shot in mine and shot sub 3/4 moa to 300 yards.

I put my barreled action in a HS Precision stock and it shot like a dream. Very good rifle for the investment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kelleno</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've heard a lot of good things about the 5R, but I really didn't want to spend over $800. </div></div>

you may not like the stock that comes with the sps tactical, varmint and aac as they are cheap. A Bell and Carlson upgrade is about $200-230. might want to take that into consideration

My SPS 20 inch barrel 308 is a sweet shooter! It was around 600.00 new and with a (like others have said) stock up grade is a must.
a Remington is a wise choice also is a Savage but the Rem. is like a small block Chevy, aftermarket parts galore!

It is my understanding that the 700P and the SPS-V are the same barreled action, just that the 700P comes with an accuracy guarantee. That is not to say that the SPS-v is substandard.

As mentioned the SPS-T, SPS-V and AAC come with less desirable stocks, but also cheaper out the door. If you plan on restocking, might as well get the SPS-V or SPS-T and sell the factory stock and get a nice HS Precision, B&C, Manners etc.

The AAC comes pre-threaded and 1:10, great for heavier bullets and if you plan to add a can later

Now other considerations,

The SPS-T and AAC are 20" barrels, very easy to handle, stow and shoulder.

The SPS-V will give you a bit more velocity for pushing out far and if you get tired of the long bbl, you can have a smith cut and crown it to your desired length.

Lastly the SPS-V currently has a $50 rebate through Remington.

http://www.remington.com/pages/news-and-resources/rebates-and-promotions.aspx

In 308 you will do good with either, I have the SPS-V and SPS-T and they both shot 168 gr FGMM ammo sub moa, right out the box.

All the models you mention share the same action, trigger, and barrel profile. The Tac and AAC are 20" the P and V are 26", slight velocity edge to the longer barrels, slight manuverability and weight edge to the 20"s. The first three are 1:12 twist the AAC is 1:10 and threaded, for most people the twist rates are irrelevent, both handle 150-180gr bullets just fine, the fast twist is for low velocity or very heavy/long bullets, threading could be nice, but if you're ponying up for a can a few dollars to have your barrel threaded won't matter. The Police model is parkerized, the others wear matte bluing, this makes the P vastly more corrosion resistant. The P comes in a real stock, the others come in a chinzy plastic stock.
At the end of the day they're all equally likely to be accurate or lemons, except maybe the P if the accuracy garuantee exists. My V shoots sub MOA with most match ammo. Consider though with any of the SPS's you will want a stock upgrade, and if you use it in incliment weather you'll want to have it coated and after you'll have as much in you rifle as buying the P in the first place, but you'll also have the stock and finish you want.
So if you intend to change everything anyway pick the cheapest in the length you want, if you want to leave it box stock, get the P or spend a bit more on a 5R.

the 700 p does not come with an accurcay gurantee, no remington does.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpspeeddemon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the 700 p does not come with an accurcay gurantee, no remington does. </div></div>Yes it does. And other Remmys do, too.

There's a good reason for it: It's Remington's way of making you the quality control officer.

Don't be fooled by tourist traps.

If I were to do it all over again, I would go with the 5R. My 700P disappointed me. It is now getting trued up and rebarrled.

Factory 700Ps are hit and miss. That's one of the reasons they are relatively cheap.

I zero'd a new one the other day that put the first three shots into under 1/2 MOA. Others I've seen were the victims of mistakes at the factory that only taking it apart and making a new one would fix.

Part of the cost of buying a premium rifle, like a premium scope, is narrowing down the chances that what you just bought isn't roached from the start.

I have been reading about this topic for over a year now. I have come to the conclusion that if you are going to leave it in the stock then get the 5R. For the money I think the AAC is the way to go with the 1:10 and the threaded barrel. Then throw the stock away and get a Manners or the like. I am really a fan of the 20 inch barrels, and now you can get the 5R in that configuration as well, but from the range reports I have read, the SPS AAC shoots very well for about half the money.

I must of got lucky. I just did a latter test on my spS v and it shot really well. I picked the load ill be using and fine tuning . I put a bell and carlson stock on it and vortex pst on top so far im happy, next ill be adding a Timney cuz the trigger on it sucks balls. Then I would like a dbm, then bedding the action. LAst but not least will be a paint job. Just have to get the important stuff done first. If you're interested in an sps t in a bell and carlson stock PM me.

If I were to start my 308 collection over again, I would start and stop with the 5r. If I were to start completely over in LR shooting I’d get a Remington varmint 243.

Does the SPS Tactical really come in matte bluing? The finish on my SPS Tactical .308 seems similar to my ARs, which are all parkerized.

Can't comment on the others, but I've been driving a 700P for years. The thing is bone stock (of the older 24" variety). The factory trigger is adjusted to 3.5 pounds, and it's topped with a Leupy 4.5-14X40 LRT. The thing has been absolutely reliable, holds zero, and averages about .65 MOA with me at the wheel.

HRF

My two LTRs are both 1/2 MOA out of the box. I have a 3-shot group from my .308 one that looks like one hole unless you squint like crazy. Ant that was with bone stock rifle, just lowered the trigger myself (had the old style trigger that was not supposed to be adjusted, with 3 screws). The .223 LTR I have is just as accurate, and it is still completely stock, and has that newer factory x-mark trigger. Last time I shot with it, 2" group at 300 yards, and that was my first time shooting it at that distance, and I'm not a master shooter.

It might be luck of the draw, but LTRs have definitely been good to me.

The original poster wrote "next build", if by that you are implying that you are going to do a "build" and if that build includes a new barrel then go find any R700 action to build on. There is a guy selling trued actions for what I think is a really good price over on Accurate Shooter (I think <$500 for a trued action is a good price when you consider that most smiths charge at least $200 to true one)

If a "build" means drop put a scope on it and maybe put it in a new stock then there is good advice above.

I'm a noob myself and was in the same position you are in. I got the 700 AAC-SD and I couldn't be happier. Absolutely amazing out of the box rifle for the money. It does need a better stock but for me just getting in to the world of extended range shooting it is a fantastic rifle because I'm just getting down the fundamentals and shooting at ranges of 300-400 yards which the rifle performs great. As I'm learning to shoot at the longer distances I'm saving up for a better stock so I know that by the time I'm good enough to shoot the longer distances the gun is more than capable of handling it.

I'm either going to buy a 700 and swap the barrel, or buy a 700 and swap the stock. Or it might be worth it to just buy the 5R and keep it bone stock and put a good scope on it.

Opinions?

Choose your rifle, then money on the best glass you can afford (even if it takes your 6 months to save).

How many rifles do you have? Is this just your first Remington?

Nope, it will be my third 700. But my first that I am setting up for long range shooting. I have a standard youth model .243 that I got about 7 years ago, and a SPS Varmint .308 that I use for deer hunting.

I've got a 700 Police in .308 with the 26" barrel that shoots really well with handloads...1/2 inch groups at 100 yrds no problem...I'm happy with it!

I had a 5R .223 which shot very well.After about 250 rounds I decided to break it down and build a switch barrel rig. My gunsmith suggested that that is one of the best factory actions he has seen. He seemed to think that it wasn't a ordinary factory action. The HS precision stock and factory barrel are both excellent. It is a shame I don't have a use for either of them.

if your budget is 800, I have seen recently, 5R's going for 925-950. As I have stated before, I enjoy traditional-type stocks, and the thicker palm swell on the 5R is beyond comfortable for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kelleno</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nope, it will be my third 700. But my first that I am setting up for long range shooting. I have a standard youth model .243 that I got about 7 years ago, and a SPS Varmint .308 that I use for deer hunting. </div></div>

In that case I’d just rebarrel one of those. Once you get a custom barrel it’s hard to accept factory barrel performance anymore unless it fulfills a niche.

I know I say this often but I will say it again. My rock creek 308 barrel is 21.75” and matches and/or beats the velocity from my 26” factory varmint 308 all the while being more handy and balanced. The varmint is now spends the days naked in the safe while the rock barreled action gets all the attention. The niche is the 308 tactical, it is even better balanced and sacrifices almost exactly 100fps from my factory varmint and rock creek 308. But what it lost in velocity it makes up for in handiness.

Then there is the 243 factory varmint. It launches a 105 berger vld at 2930 from Lapua brass and H1000 powder. That cuts almost one third off wind and elevation from my better 308 LR loads and it doubles as a good midrange deer load or LR varmint load. Want a cheaper load, sub in the Hornady A-max and it is almost as effective losing only a couple tenths of a mil in elevation and wind but still a far cry from the sedate 308 ballistics. This all from a factory varmint barreled action. A custom barrel in 243 at 26” should generate at least another 100 fps and maybe closer to 200fps. I don’t know yet as I will wait till I toast this barrel before changing it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kelleno</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nope, it will be my third 700. But my first that I am setting up for long range shooting. I have a standard youth model .243 that I got about 7 years ago, and a SPS Varmint .308 that I use for deer hunting. </div></div>

In that case I’d just rebarrel one of those. Once you get a custom barrel it’s hard to accept factory barrel performance anymore unless it fulfills a niche.

</div></div>

Alright, if I rebarreled my .243 is there any way I could change calibers instead of a .243?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kelleno</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kelleno</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nope, it will be my third 700. But my first that I am setting up for long range shooting. I have a standard youth model .243 that I got about 7 years ago, and a SPS Varmint .308 that I use for deer hunting. </div></div>

</div></div>

Alright, if I rebarreled my .243 is there any way I could change calibers instead of a .243?

</div></div>

Yes, anything that uses the .473 rim. 243, 260, 6.5 creedmoor, 6.5x47, 7/08, 308, 338 federal to name a few.

Well looks like I'm rebarelling the .243! I'm gonna also have to put a new stock on it since the one it has now is a youth model...I've out-grown it just a little bit.

Thanks a lot guys!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Part of the cost of buying a premium rifle, like a premium scope, is narrowing down the chances that what you just bought isn't roached from the start.</div></div>

Right here. Buy a factory 700 and you are rolling the dice. Some are tack drivers. Some aren't. The people who buy a great factory built 700 think that the people who buy customs are crazy. The people who get a crappy 700 wish they had sprung for a custom stick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kelleno</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well looks like I'm rebarelling the .243! I'm gonna also have to put a new stock on it since the one it has now is a youth model...I've out-grown it just a little bit.

Thanks a lot guys! </div></div>

Bugholes here on the hide stocks many different barrels and also does smithing. Just out what he made for me and my results.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...935#Post3034935

I picked up a new 700p about 2 months ago for 899.00. The trigger is the same 40 X rifle, much better than the X mark trigger. The HS stock is rock solid. Mine shoots 168 smk and 175 smk to .75 moa with out a problem.

I wanted to be able to shoot 1000 yards and I think the 26 inch barrel is the way to go for that. (yes you can shoot 1000 yards with a 20 inch you are just down on velocity).

If you wanted a gun for field use the 20 inch is easier to handle in the bush.

Any of the rifles you have listed will be great just depends what you want to do with the rifle.

Walnuts

i was in your shoes a few weeks ago. i sprung for the milspec 5R 308 20" threaded. mostly because it was a stainless barrel. during my research, a lot of people complained about the SPS-T's rusting very easily. also, no one could 100% say for damn sure that the 5R, hands down, flat out, out performed the SPS-T. but like i said, i went for the stainless.

i only took my 5R out once so far, put 40 rounds thru it. so far, i am impressed. on a windy day, in a hurry with a cheap scope, and no cooling in between shots, i had the following group. not impressive for the other guys here, but with the circumstances, i think it was good. i shot that group in about 2 minutes.

122-1.jpg