• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 788 long action 308

Dinger23

Private
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2012
I just picked up a Remington 788 long action in 308. I am looking to put this into a new stock but, I am having trouble finding a good one. Any suggestions?

Re: Remington 788 long action 308

I thought the M788 was only one action length. Aftermarket stock is going to be a bit hard to find. Might have to be a semi-DIY job.

The 788 was made in at least 3 action lengths and I have heard/read of there actually being 4 but never had them together at same time to measure.

44 mag was 1 length
222/223 was another-some say 22/250 was this same length
30-30?, 243, 7/08, 308 another length
6mm---some have said this action/bolt was longer than the 243/308's????

Back in the late 80's a gent brought me a 22/250 he had stuck a hot reload in and it had pulled the extractor out through the thin retaining ring in bolt nose. I found a guy in KS in Gunlist that had a bolt from a 6mm for sale. When it arrived it was too long for the 22/250 action. So I am not sure if the 243/308 etc used the same bolt/action as a 6mm but the 6mm bolt was too long for the 22/250 anyhoo.

Yea, they shoot ok but there are better actions to sink your money into than a 788. It is always going to be a 788 with a small following vs. building on a 700 etc.

Just my .02 cents worth though and there will be a dozen posts following about how wrong I am and how good the 788 is! That's fine, you can own/shoot them but I have had my fill over the years with working on them etc. No parts to speak of available anymore unless you want to pay Wisner $300 for a newly manufactured bolt which is only 4+ times more than they sold for when they first came out.

Respectfully,
Dennis

I own 2 788's a 222 and 22-250 the only quality stocks I've found are Boyd's hope this helps also put egw rails on them.

I have a 788 in .308 win. It's a very old gun but accurate and reliable. I'm not sure what kind of stock you're interested in. MidwayUSA has Ram-Line synthetic stocks for it, not sure of their quality but its an option. Also Numrich has a decent selection of parts, mostly oem type. They're mostly wood type and show almost all of their stock inventory as 'out of stock,' but they get parts in and out all the time. Not very many options, but some to keep an eye on.

Numrich 788 parts

Please take a look at our chassis system. It will fit the Rem 700 Long Action (Strike 33 Model) and is quite an upgrade as this was designed to be a re-fit for the standard M24 which is a long action .308, (similar to your action with the same outside diameter - Wikipedia Link to Description of 788 model ) I would recommend that you would want to check the measurements of the lug and bedding bolts to make sure that they are the same dimensions as on the 700 long - to check for total compatability.
This chassis system is the Gen 2 system over the Gen 1 system being used by the US Military on the M24E system.
NewCadexStrike33.jpg

snipershide.jpg

Please check our web site for further details
www.DRAKEASSOCIATES.us
Thanks
Chris