• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Remington 788

FosterEDC

Private
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2013
Northeast Arkansas
So Ive got a Remington 788 hand-me-down in 22-250 that my dad gave me. I use it for coyotes and they can agree, its a tack drive. Only complaint Ive got is that its heavy and kinda ugly. Its already got what I would call a varmint contour barrel which has a lot of weight, but surprisingly the majority of weight is in the wood stock. SO Im wanting to replace it with something lighter. I really like the McMillan A3 style of stocks but trying to find anything for the 788 is like trying to find a needle in a hay stack (only comparison I could think of). I don't mind taking a stock made for another that I can cut and bed to fit my 788, but don't know what one that would be. Anybody had to deal with this or know of someone who makes one? I might be the only 788 guy out there.

I have one also but in 223 rem with the same large barrel Please post when you get a final stock fix I might change mine out also.

I think I've decided to just bed the factory stock. Right now I'm slightly higher than 1in at 100yards so I'm hoping bedding it will go ahead and bring that down. I'm no BR shooter and that's definitely good enough for minute of coyote to me. I'll probably save up my money and get a McMillan later. Just Don have that kind of money right now.

Leave gun alone..... if you want a liter gun....buy a rem.mod.7 or the new ruger American.In either case you won`t be gaining much...........

Do you still have the factory stock trigger? If you do I think you could shrink those groups with a change to a Timney, makes a huge difference on a 788. I think Midway has them in stock now.

i