• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 788's

ArcticLight

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2003
Silverdale, WA
I was just peruzing GunsAmerica.com to see what my Remington 788 might be worth SHOULD I chosoe to sell it and from what I'm seeing I won't sell it.

3 of the "Carbine" type there for about 400 bucks - a HECK of a good deal considering the benchrest guys used to love these.

But the cool part is the 18" bbl, magazine fed.

I got thinking about the new "Sniper" tactical rifles with magazines and how the 788 was probably "ONE" of the first to actually do this....in the early 1970's....

Kinda cool, gives a new respect for magazine fed bolt action rifles.

Perfect deer gun, hell accurate..

Here's 3 or 4 for sale there - I have one with the wood stock similiar to the first listed.
I spent $25 when Dillionprecision was closing out on black Eagle Stockpacks so I got one for it.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/Search.htm?T=remington+788+.243

788_1.jpg

788_2.jpg

Re: Remington 788's

My dad has a 6mm Rem in a 788 that he said was his first rifle when he turned 16 back in 1969 IIRC. I cleaned it this past summer because I don't think he's taken very good care of it in the last 8-10 years and got a lot of copper out of it.
Found a sub 3/4 MOA load for him with 100gr core locks but during antelope season this year, his sling stud pulled out 3 times in 3 different places, so we ordered up a Ram-Line synthetic stock.
He's WAY to tight to spend the money on something I would consider "better" but I plan to glass and pillar bed it to hopefully get it shooting better than it did before.
A sweet little set up. He's thought about selling it more than once and I've been telling him he's gotta offer it up to me if he ever decides to let it go. He already passed down his M70 .243 to me this fall for my 30th. A memorable birthday to say the least, since that was the first rifle I ever hunted with.

Great guns. Not to many of the 6 mm's around. I had several of the 788's a couple of yrs back but started cutting back on the volume of guns that I had and started to try and increase the quality of the guns that I did keep. Out of those, I kept a 223 with several mags which are hard to find. This one I will be holding on to, shoots to good.

I owned 3 of them through out the years. Great guns!

I wonder if anybody ever made a high cap after market mag for them ?

I have 2 788 recievers...was going to build on but they`ve been sitting for a couple of years.... 1 with bolt... the other w/o...
$400
bill larson

Ah, the 788. How sweet it was.
Came in some unusual bolt gun calibers too. I think they did 44 Mag and 30-30.
I've owned a 223 and a 243 (carbine) and both were great guns.

I would part with with most of the ballast currently occupying my safe before I would let this one go. Chambered in 22-250 Remington, it has dealt bad medicine with gnat's ass precision for over 40 years. It's just that easy to shoot well.

- Fret

788_7.jpg

My Dad bought one in .223 many years ago . Since he passed away in 1984 my Brother now has it in his collection and still shoots quite accurate....I would bet a $100 bill he has not cleaned in it the last 20 yrs and still shoots that good ..

With the rear lugs, the bolt face sort of floats, so it centers a round in the chamber. Accurate design, downside is they can't tons (magnum) of pressure.

A 788 carbine in .243 was my first deer rifle, dad got it for me in the 80's when I was 10 or so. I still hunt whitetail deer with it today, its light and accurate. Lots of good memories with this rifle and hunting with my dad.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I owned 3 of them through out the years. Great guns!

I wonder if anybody ever made a high cap after market mag for them ? </div></div>

There ya go, got wondering that myself.

I am fortunate enough to have two that came with mine. A lady sold it to my dad for $350 and that's what I gave him...It has my Redfield (clone) low light scope (4x32)...awesome deer gun.

I would not mind building a tactical rig on one but I have other projects.

Stepdad has a 308 still, identical to my 243 carbine.

I have one my Dad bought at the Hook-n-Hoe on Elemendorf AFB in the sixties. The story he told years ago was the rifle was in a barrel with some other rifles, it had a $48.00 price tag on it and another guy had picked it up, the other guy went to put it back in the barrel, my Dad said it didn't hit the bottom before he grabbed it.

I am needing help to put a value to a winchester pre-64 model 70 30-06 sniper rifle with original scope. 95-98% original condition. Just like the one Carlos Hathcock used. anyone have any idea what it would be worth????any help would be appreciated

Think you want to post a new topic vs reply to the 788 thread.

FYI The scope alone will cost you about $3000.

I've got a couple, one of them a 7-08 carbine. Pretty cool guns, and a good shooter for the money in its time.

I'd like to see some cool aftermarket stuff come out for them!!

I'm still not modifying my current but it'd be a fun build to do ...

The 6mm Rem 788 settled this yote's account.

In fact, it smacked him so hard you can see a piece of him still hanging in the sagebrush. The 6mm is a wicked dog killer.

Sanitized6mmdog100408.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: excaliber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 788 had one of the fastest locktimes of any production rifles made. </div></div>

If i remember correctly; if you pull the trigger simultaniously on a Rem700 and a Rem788 the bullet in the 788 is out of the barrel on it's way to the target before the fireingpin in the 700 has hit the primer.. That's why the 788 is exellent for off hand shooting like MS.

Most likely one of the best rifles Remington made.

My daughter is fixin to use one of mine in .308, come Saturday morning, opening day of Missouri firearms season. Love them things.

wow my sister has one in .243 this thread has me looking at it differently. only hangups i can find is its super easy to take off safety and hard to put on safe which for a girl isnt all that great. also the bolt isnt near smooth as a 700.

That's a little surprising. Do you know if it's a 2-position safety selector or the 3-position safety selector? I think Remington changed them sometime in '74 or '76 or there about. It seems like I remember reading something where Remington actually offered to update older 788's (or recalled them for the change around that time?).

For those of you that have handled multiple 788's, which safety selector did they have and did you notice a difference in the trigger with the 3-position safety versus the 2-position safety?

-Fret

Every 788 that I've shot could drive tacks. Currently have 3 in the safe and would love to add more. At 200+ yds you can call which eye you're going for on groundhogs which isnt bad for a rifle that used to cost under $100 bucks.

Only downside is the price of the magazines these days. Almost as much as the gun was when they were new.

All of mine have the two position safety, so I'm not sure how the revised safety affected the trigger.

Its a two position safety now im goin to have to take it to the range and see how accurate it is. And i found mags for 30 apiece at the sportsmans guide when my sister lost the mag. Lol

My pappy has a 222 that has been rebarreled with a vintage Varmint Special barrel off of a 700 Varmint Special. It almost looks factory. But it will keep 5 rds in a nickel at 200yds. It loves Sierra 52gr HPBT. I think he uses H322 in it. But truly a great lil rifle to say the least.

Yep... They chambered it in 30-30. Have one in the safe.... It is THE rifle I loan to new hunters and has accounted for many "firsts" over the years. As important... I have made many life long friends with my little loaner 788. Good times....

Ive got one in the old Triple Duece wont give it up. accurate no frills shoots as good as my high dollar stuff????? go figure?/

30-30, 7-08, 222, 243, 308 here. Finally got around to killing deer with the 30-30 this year, shoots as expected, friggin' awesome. Love them.

Why doesn't Remington just remake 788 and do away with 770 crap?? I mean heck we would all line up for a few of um apiece.

I have suggested that very thing to them go with front locking lugs and leave everything else the exact same, except a better magazine fit. They tend to rattle a bit when trying to be quiet.

I was lucky enough to do some load work on one for a friend who got it from his granpa when he kicked off. Cleaned it, loaded 3 rounds to see where she was and made a nice 1/4" group right on the money. Loaded 10 more and it was a solid 1/2MOA gun for 10 rounds. It was obviouse it had some work done to it but it was also a pleasure to shoot. Hunted with him a couple weeks ago and he still smokin em with it. Neat little rifles I dont own one but I guess if one fell accross my path for the right money I would.

I just picked up a 788 in the .223 for yotes. The more I read about them-the more I like them. I've yet to shoot mine, but I have shot a .243 a friend owns and it is amazingly accurate! I also shot a 7mm-08 and it was a shooter also. I've always been a Remington 700 and Model 7 fan- this 788 is just an added bonus.

good friend has a .308 in 788, thing must have 10,000 round through it.

He has broken the bolt stop a few times, he's a little rough on it.

Otherwise a solid gun!

My first bolt gun was a 788 in .243. That little rifle shot like a dream. It came with some sort of real cheap scope. It was so bad the elev. was reversed; down wes up and vice versa.
Even with that I was able to tahe my first deer with it. He was a nice 10pointer. 1 shot and he fell on his tracks.
I sold the gun to my cousin and he still uses it today and wont sell it back

I sighted a friends 788 .308 in for him and it took me two deer seasons to buy it from him. I traded it 6-7 years ago and now all you guys are making me regret it!

My grandfather bought me a 788 6mm for christmas when I was 9 killed my first deer with it that year in south Texas well I'm 45 going on 46 and that 788 is still rocking.Its killed a manny a deer over the years as well as yotes and javeline.I havent shot it in a year but it still will shoot 65gr V-Maxes lights out.
adler001.jpg

nofeet001.jpg

I still have the weaver K4 that came with it.If I remember total cost of the gun and scope was around $115 dollars.