• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington AAC-SD 308 best grouping loads

FullMetalJacket

Private
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2010
NH
hey guys just wondering how everyone else is doing with their R700 AAC-sd bolt rifles and what peoples best grouping load was ? have been playing with all sorts of weights and just recently started shooting my aac bolt rifle out to 1000 yards . i went to do some new development on 178 amax w/ Varget and havnt found the performance node for my rifle. i've seen alot of people getting 1/2 moa from their aac-sd bolt rifle would like to see what some guys are having better results with . i've been using varget exclusively for my 308 supersonic rounds . all help and data is appreciated. last time i shot 1/2 moa was with 180smks and varget with cci br2 primer and federal brass

Somewhere around 44.0-44.2 gr target behind a 175 SMK or 178 AMAX loaded to AICS mag length was the ticket for my rifle and those of several other friends.

Truth be told, chances of your Remington in stock form shooting half MOA all day are slim to none. Most people are cherry picking their best groups, which are not representative of the rifles true accuracy potential. What kind of groups have you seen so far? My AAC was regularly in that 3/4 MOA range with the occasional group approaching half MOA while some would be closer to MOA. Another friend's stock AAC was closer to a MOA gun, there is quite a bit variation in factory Remington rifles.

I had an AAC way back in the day. I shot 175's with good luck out of it, tried the 178's and never could get them to shoot. They didn't like to be jumped as much as you have to with the deep Rem chamber and mag length limitations. I ended up going back to 175's which always shot well

178 amax with 38.4 win748 (right out go the Hornady manual but I don't think it has enough to get out to 1000yds) and 178 amax with 42.0 IMR4895 all seated to the manual specs. I have mixed brass and use cci or WLR primers.

You don't still have the hogue stock on it do you?

How much freebore does it have?
Is the AAC chamber different from the Remington chamber?

If you are getting 3/4" with a stock 700 SPS/AAC-be happy and run with it. The 5R series will do better or even the P models.

My aac-sd shot like shit. 2 moa with several powder and bullet combinations along with an HS stock and jewell trigger. .187" freebore was a joke. After wasting enough money on powder and bullets to just about pay for a barrel, I gave up and re barreled it. Solid 3/8 moa now.

208 amax
Winchester brass
47 grains Reloader 17
210m
.015 off lands (normally around 2.9 and fits in mag with plate removed and feed ramp adjusted)
right around 2500 fps and shoots lights out

my 20" aac-sd in an aiax chassis really likes 40gn of IMR 4064 w/175 smk and lapua brass, its a little slow (2385fps)... Next node up was at 43gn and also very accurate 1/2 moa and averaged 2600 fps via magnetospeed v3. So far I have been very impressed with this factory rifle.

Last edited:
175 FGMM 5 shot group 100 yards. I'm going to try and replicate this ammo.

Attachments

• photo4_zpsa3d5f04d.jpg
    photo4_zpsa3d5f04d.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 27