• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington barrel how tight?

TommyD11730

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2020
So from doing some poking around I to understand older Remington 700 barrel's can be VERY tight.
I have a 2018 Build 700P I'm considering putting a Criterion Remage barrel on.
Having done a few Savages I have access to the nut wrench, a barrel vice and inside action wrench.
Figured I would have to purchase a action wrench/cheater bar from NSS.
So, what's the odds a 2018 gives up the fight easily?

I used an action wrench and barrel vise with rosin. Came off no problem. If it is stubborn, give it a few whacks on the wrench handle with a rubber mallet.

Reactions: TommyD11730
Careful using the inside action wrench on a factory torqued action. I believe those are made for aftermarket/already been swapped barrels. Something about messing up the bolt race if you get super rowdy with it. That’s my understanding though, and may be wrong.

Give it a try. I torque the barrel vice until the nuts won’t turn anymore without stripping and then I go straight to a 5’ pipe in my nss wrench and no barrel has given me “trouble”.

I bet you could manage it if your internal wrench has good purchase and tight fit on both of the lugs. Don’t stick a loose fitting internal wrench in and put a bunch of effort on it.

Never had much of a problem with your set up. Those nss barrels have been amazing for me

Encouraged to hear lots of suscess stories.
I have a Criterion from NSS on a Savage ( of all things) and it's pretty darn good.
Anyone try one of these vices??

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
I made an Rem 700 adapter for my external barrel wrench, previous to that I only used the big gun for Mauser, Sprigfields, ... barrels that may had been on for a 100 years. I had a couple internal wrenches for the 700 but would usually back off before the barrel broke free and chuck the barrel up in the lathe and cut a relief right in front of the receiver and the barrel would spin right off.

Using the big external wrench and a mallet makes easier work of the 700. Like a previous poster said be ready for the worst, either have a lathe or a sturdy outside barrel wrench in hand before you try. Prepared you will be able to make quick work of the task at hand.

I agree about preparing for the worse. Thats one of the reasons I asked about the (UBV) above. In my way of thinking I believe I would rather have something holding the outside of the receiver IF you really have to put a ton of torque on it.

I have done 2 remage barrels in the last month, both on older REM 700s. The question is, do you want to save the barrel you are removing? Both of mine were junk so I didn’t have to worry about saving them. I bought the action wrench from NSS, it’s a very nice tool. Clamped it in my bench vise, and went to town with a big ass pipe wrench on the barrels. Like I said, didn’t have to worry about saving them. They were both TIGHT, but they came loose. If you want to save the barrel for some reason, then buy a GOOD barrel vise.

Criterion barrels are awesome. Do yourself a favor and buy their recoil lug and alignment tool along with the action wrench. You won’t regret it

BP

I put my old barrel in between two 2x4s and put in in a 50 ton vice. Smacked the handle of the action wrench and heard squeaking. I ended up polishing the 2x4s, barrel didn't move. Put the action wrench in a big vice and used an electric heat gun to warm the receiver and ended up using a really big pipe wrench to crack the old barrel loose. Mine came off real hard. 80's vintage Remington 78 sportsman.

Yes, I would like to save my factory barrel. Otherwise I would grind 2 flats on it, jam it in my press and have at it. 😊

Ok, so I'll look into the NSS Wrench and lug alignment tool.

Anyone want to toss a vise brand out there I should look into?

Thanks

Short Action Customs - Modular (I have this one. Its Awesome!)

Short Action Customs - Bravo

Long Rifles Inc

If you have access to a lathe, use a parting tool to sacrifice cut the center out of the recoil lug. Lugs are cheap to replace.