• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Remington Commemorative USMC M40 Question

usmc69

Private
Minuteman
Remington Commemorative USMC M40 in .308. Does anyone have one of these? May pick one up if I can work the deal for $1K, still NIB (yes, it has the box). Good Deal? Are they accurate? Thoughts in general?

I have a friend with one new in box. I want it bad but I don't know if I would shoot it especially as a main shooter. They were made in the rem custom shop

I have one of these. I paid more than 1k for mine so if you want it then I would get it. I bought it as a collector but I shoot it as well. It is very accurate and fun to shoot.

$1K for NIB is a great deal for one of those. I'll take it if you don't want it ...

$1K is a steal for an unfired. I payed $1500 only because I was pretty sure I'd never have the opportunity to buy another. I think most went for $1100-$1300. My dealer was a POS...even wanted me to pay an extra $45 for the coin. I was like F THAT, that belongs to the rifle.

Take extremely good care of the wood stock...arguably it, the clip slot, and the serial number are the only things that make it unique and valuable.

If you can find an appropriate floor metal and a vintage trigger that locks the safety if you really want to work on getting it closer and not effect the value. Badger did a run of repro rings for it....see if they can hook you up.

Bout pissed myself when I shot this at 375yds using 168smk's. 10 shot group

Mine came with a mount and rings that look pretty much the same as yours. Didn't these come with mounts and rings?

What load are you using for that 168SMK's?

Mine didn't...wouldn't surprise me if that crooked fuck stole'em if they did.

Haven't heard anyone allude to it so I honestly don't know.
As far as the load...don't know. My buddy loaded them for me using reloader 17. It was a pretty slow charge but it shot well. I remember smoking 1 moa plates consistently out to 600yds during a class but after that it went to shit. I built up another 308 and shelfed the M40X.

The mount and rings on my rifle look just like this: Badger Ordnance Replica M40 Redfield Style Base & Rings Except mine has a circled R on the forward right side of the base.....Remington?

Why did the rifle stop shooting well......? Couldn't it be fixed?

Nice catch. Been looking for one of these for a while to help round out my military vintage collection. Let us know how it shoots.

I was hoping to contact them via email and ask what the rate would be to buy a Remington Custom Shop M40 or if they were planning on doing them in the near future...but they have no email contact listed just a PO Box. That's ill.

The Redfield got here today. Will get it mounted and will try it out Friday morning.

Am I reading the SWFA page correctly, are they offering the special M40 Badger rings and mount again?

I wish I had picked up one of the Commemoratives while they were still somewhat available NIB. Bout the only replica going these days is the Mawhinney M40, which is a little beyond my pay grade.

Well, I took the rifle to the range this morning. Fired 20 rounds of Spanish surplus ammo through it to break in the barrel. Fired one round then bore brushed, then a swab with Hoppe's, then a clean patch....then another round for ten rounds. Once that was done switched to two rounds fired and the brush, swab and patch. The rifle is wanting to shoot, 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards to start (first 10 rounds), and one inch groups at 100 yards (second 10 rounds). Occasional flyers.......probably due to the eight pound trigger pull the rifle had. You will note the key word "had". Took it to a friend who is a 'smith and he adjusted the trigger down to 1 1/2 pounds of pull. Will take it to the range again on Monday morning with Black Hills 168 gr Match ammo for further shooting. Once I am satisfied at 100 yards will go to the 200 yard range. So far I am pleased with the rifle and the scope.

This morning I took the rifle back to the range. Resighted at 100 yards (new trigger pull and rifle had been out of the stock), Cold barrel shot at the 12 O'clock on the 10 ring. The next three shots in the X-ring. Moved to 200 yards, readjusted the scope to shoot center mass. Then two rounds on either side of the X. Figured I'd leave well enough alone and went home.