• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington factory stocks

Bayou1535

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2011
MW
Don't know if this belongs in the bolt action forum or not but how bad are the stocks that come on the Remington SPS line. Looking to purchase a SS 700 and was curious of what I can expect with the factory stock. Just looking for a rifle for an upcoming trip and since I live in Ohio I don't have many rifles. I would like to get a premium stock, say a manners and bedding block would be around $650. I've never bedded a stock and cant see buying a manners then sending it off to get it pillar and glass bedded. With the price of a pillar and bedding job I would end up with a lot in a hunting rig. Not looking for extreme long range accuracy but around 300-350 max range, more than like 100-250 yards.

Are you talking about the HS Precision or the Hogue overmolded stock? SPS's can come with either I think. HSP is a great stock and I use them exclusively on my R700s.

As far as the Hogue, they are cheaply made, not rigid enough, and pretty much considered useless by most; but, at the Missouri State F-Class championship last fall, I got assigned the same slot as a guy shooting a rebarreled R700 (I don't think he had any other modification to the gun except the barrel) using the Hogue and he did just fine with it.

The plain vanilla Remington plastic stock on the SPS SS line is pretty bad. Flimsy, no pillars for the action screws, and lots of contact with the barrel.

I bought a Stevens 200 as a donor gun for another project and was surprised that it's plastic stock did have pillars and the barrel was floated.

If you're looking for a beater hunting rig out of the box, you can probably find better bang for the buck than that Remington.

The plain vanilla Remington plastic stock on the SPS SS line is pretty bad. Flimsy, no pillars for the action screws, and lots of contact with the barrel.

I bought a Stevens 200 as a donor gun for another project and was surprised that it's plastic stock did have pillars and the barrel was floated.

If you're looking for a beater hunting rig out of the box, you can probably find better bang for the buck than that Remington.

My SPS-Tactical in .223, with the Hogue "Rubber Ducky" stock actually had pillars in it. Well not exactly pillars but at least spacers that prevented the action screws from sucking the bottom metal up against the bottom of the action :).

First thing to go bye-bye was the stock. Used the one I took off my 5-R which was an HSP Varmint. The second thing to go was the trigger. I now order a Timney trigger assy when I decide to go buy another Remington. I have a box of X-Mark Pro's, some of which have never been used to fire a round outside maybe the factory.

The cheapy SPS-V (which is a great starter rifle!) stock has changed a little bit over the years. It is better now than it used to be, but still not anywhere near as good as a B&C, McMillan, HS, or Manners. They seem to have added some ribbing for reinforcing the front end some. Still has a lot of flex in it. You CAN put pillars in if you really want to - but I'd not pay to have it done unless you LOVE the feel of the stock more than reason... I put a Karsten on one and used it for a snowgo rifle for a while until I got something different for a stock. It works - but there are better!

It's the standard plastic stock on the SPS line not the varmint model. The rifle won't be used for extreme long range precision but for hunting ranges not exceeding 350-400 yards, more than likely closer. It will be either a 30'06 or 300 WM in stainless, I like the blued/wood look on the CDL but I will be traveling on hunts with this rifle. Going to South Africa for the first time this fall and will be using the rifle on other out of state hunts and like the ease of the stainless. I've never put in pillars or glass bedded before and that's looks costly from what I've checked on a few sites. So I'm think a B&C or HS stock as that would be the cheaper route. Does anyone know what the difference is between the B&C Alaskan II and the Alaskan TI?

I really like bell and carlson for the $. The difference between the II and the TI is about 4 ounces. One has a full bedding block and one doesnt.

The B&C II and Ti both say ''This stock is constructed of Bell and Carlson's proprietary composite material wrapped around a modified aluminum bedding block. The bedding block has integrated reinforcement that extends into the wrist of the stock and the two action bedding pillars" per midway's sight

The B&C II and Ti both say ''This stock is constructed of Bell and Carlson's proprietary composite material wrapped around a modified aluminum bedding block. The bedding block has integrated reinforcement that extends into the wrist of the stock and the two action bedding pillars" per midway's sight

I would check with B&C directly or go to "Stocky's" website for a true description. Midway sometimes uses the same info for different products in a manufacturer's line and they don't always get it right.

A phone call to B&C or Stocky's would answer your questions.

It’s really not that hard to do your own bedding... Just takes a little time and for your first one, a little more time studying various threads.

The standard SPS stock will work but with a sporter contour factory barrel watch for impact climb as the barrel heats up. I worked on a friend’s 223 (for load development) for his sons first mule deer hunt and from shot one to shot four the impacts climbed 3-4 inches at 100 yards if I didn’t let the barrel cool for about 8 minutes between each shot. When I took the stock off to see why, I noticed a slight wrap to the plastic stock in the forearm and it had barrel pads at the end of the barrel channel to give the illusion that the barrel was centered in the stock...

Last edited:
The 'standard' SPS stock, the plastic injection molded version, isn't a great stock for precision shooting, bench-rest shooting, etc. It has barrel pads in the forearm (in other words isn't free-floated), and it isn't the stiffest stock in the world. Then again, most factory plastic stocks aren't that great.

That being said, if you are looking for a hunting rifle, and aren't planning on shooting off a bipod, the standard SPS stock will probably be fine. I've got a regular SPS that I've used as a hunting rifle for years, and although I can see an inch or two of impact change when the barrel heats up if I shoot rapidly at the range, the first cold-bore shot (the one that counts in hunting!) has always been quite consistent for me across a wide range of temperature and humidity conditions.

Also, I wasn't sure if the 'SS 700' in your original post was just a type and you meant you were looking for an SPS 700, or if you are saying you are looking for a remington 700 in stainless steel.

I ask because Remington does offer some models of the 700 in Bell and Carlson stocks. Depending on what you are looking for, you may find you can buy the rifle with a B&C stock, which may save you money over buying the rifle and then buying a new stock for it. What caliber are you looking at?

I was looking at a Remington 700 in stainless steel, I will check Remington's site to see if they offer the stainless with a B&C stock. If not I will start a new thread for the right/possible B&C stock to replace the factory. I also did check out the Tikka lite at bass pro and it was smooth but just didn't feel right. I'm sure it's a great rifle but I just didn't get that feel good feel with it, I will check it out again before I buy.

I was looking at a Remington 700 in stainless steel, I will check Remington's site to see if they offer the stainless with a B&C stock. If not I will start a new thread for the right/possible B&C stock to replace the factory. I also did check out the Tikka lite at bass pro and it was smooth but just didn't feel right. I'm sure it's a great rifle but I just didn't get that feel good feel with it, I will check it out again before I buy.

If you want a good Stainless Steel Remington, look for a 700 SS 5-R Milspec. Doesn't come with a B&C stock but with a H-S Precision Varmint.

If you get a 5-R like the one I got it's pretty much "accurized" from the factory although I'm not a real fan of the X-mark Pro trigger they come with.

Mine did shoot "up with the big boys" right out of the box however, with the X-Mark. Just add some good glass and maybe someday you'll want to pick a B&C stock and a timney trigger for it.

Deadshot2, I have a varmint 700 waiting for a build but don't want to lug a heavy barrel around for hunting. Thanks for the idea though.

The Model 700 Mountain Stainless sounds like what you want. I don't know exactly what the contour is, but it isn't a heavy barrel, comes with a B&C stock (not sure exactly how it compares to the other B&C Stocks available, but it is bound to be better than the SPS plastic stock).

The MSRP seems a little high on it, but I know that there's usually a big difference between MSRP and actual price. I'd say compare that cost to the cost of getting an SPS stainless and buying the B&C stock, and go from there.

I'd say buy the Rem 700 you can afford, then save $50/month. After a year you'll be able to buy a Manners or McMillan stock, and with a good bedding job your rifle should be a solid shooter for years...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deadshot2, I have a varmint 700 waiting for a build but don't want to lug a heavy barrel around for hunting. Thanks for the idea though.

I used to hear that a lot. "I don't want to lug that heavy rifle around". Then the guys would fill their pockets with all kinds of useless crap, often weighing more than the extra "one pound of barrel".

Why not look into the SPS Tactical? With a 20" varmint barrel it's plenty light and comes with a good hunting stock. It's no HS precision but it's light and has pillars. I hogged out the forend a bit with a 1" dowel wrapped in sandpaper. It worked great at typical hunting ranges. I later upgraded to a Manners stock as the rifle became more precision oriented.

Why not look into the SPS Tactical? With a 20" varmint barrel it's plenty light and comes with a good hunting stock. It's no HS precision but it's light and has pillars. I hogged out the forend a bit with a 1" dowel wrapped in sandpaper. It worked great at typical hunting ranges. I later upgraded to a Manners stock as the rifle became more precision oriented.

I'd totally agree that the SPS Tactical is a good "hunting rifle", as long as you don't put a bipod on it and keep any "rest" back close to the front action screw. The forend on the Hogue stock is just too flexible.

Lucky for me I had the OEM HS Precision stock left over from my 5-R that I re-stocked with a B&C. There are a lot of these for sale out there for reasonable prices. Recently saw an H-S takeoff for $75 and considering the improvement over the rubber stock a definite value.

Relative newb to long range (300M+) shooting here so take this for what it's worth .... I'm shooting a 700 SPS with the original Hogue stock on a Harris bi-pod and can put several rounds in the same ragged hole at 100 yards (pic below). I'm running a SWFA fixed 20X optic on Badger Ordnance rings and one-piece mount. It's not a high dollar gun, but it's hard to argue with the accuracy. I haven't pushed out beyond 600 yards yet, but I can put together 3-4" groups at 600.

I built up a cheek rest out of a yoga mat and wrapped it with some McNett Fabric Wrap. No LOP adjustment but I haven't needed it yet.

Common 100 Yard Group (1" high due to being zero'd for 200 yards)
2012-10-23_13-04-05_842_zps21ee15bb.jpg

I believe for the range in hunting you say the factory stock will do the job. You need to be able to hit the vitals not make a ragged 5 shot hole. If you want to step up into an aftermarket stock a B&C or HS is a good start. When I purchased my SPS-V in 308 I ordered a B&C stock the same day.

I have been looking over my options everyday and keep coming back to a SPS stainless in 300WM then swapping to medalist stock. If I was getting a 30'06 I might get the mountain option. I'm going on a plains game safari the last couple of days of September into the first-second week of October. Also looking to put money down for Newfoundland Moose hunt for 2015 and think a 300WM would be a better choice, my dilemma besides a stock is the 300WM or 30'06. I know a pile has went down with the 30'06 from what I've read the last month everyone is split between the two calibers.

If I were spending money on expensive hunts, I wouldn't go cheap on my rifle, stock or optics. A Manners or McMillan stock will last the life of the rifle and will certainly do more to make the rifle less prone to POI shifts in varying weather conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm surprised that on one's mentioned the new Remmy 700 LR in 300WM. No, it's not available in stainless, but it does come with an excellent B&C stock. Perhaps a little heavy for extended walking, but at the same time, that weight is a valuable asset when it comes to getting steady for a shot, and for mitigating the not inconsiderable recoil of a 300WM.

I'm surprised that on one's mentioned the new Remmy 700 LR in 300WM. No, it's not available in stainless, but it does come with an excellent B&C stock. Perhaps a little heavy for extended walking, but at the same time, that weight is a valuable asset when it comes to getting steady for a shot, and for mitigating the not inconsiderable recoil of a 300WM.

^ this^ and you could always follow the trend and set the world afire by cutting it back, say... 16-20 inches, light and handy ;)

Last edited:
Perhaps a little heavy for extended walking, but at the same time, that weight is a valuable asset when it comes to getting steady for a shot, and for mitigating the not inconsiderable recoil of a 300WM.

I've always wondered why everyone is so concerned about a pound or two of rifle. I grew up shooting a sporterized 1903 A3 and would have been extremely pleased if someone had just left the extra weight on it. Thing kicked like a mule.

When I went into the Army in 1965 I had to pack an M-14 with all it's ammo and every once in a while an M-60. After those days, even an M-24 @ 16 lbs or so feels light.

There's always a trade off. Lighten up a rifle and YOU get to absorb the recoil. Carry a little more weight and you won't squint your eyes and pull the trigger all tensed up getting ready for the recoil.

Well I finally settled and bought a rifle that is different in what I had originally planned to buy. I picked a Tikka T3 hunter in 30'06, didn't go with a stainless even though I was pretty close in getting a Remmy 700 SF. The SF was stainless, fluted and came in a wood stock that I decided I wanted. Truthfully after going back in forth I really wanted a nice wood stock with a blued receiver, barrel. I handled the Tikka hunter and really liked it and well as being easy on the eyes. The plastic magazine doesn't bother me and nor does the recoil lug which I wish was like a Remington. After having it for a few days and handling it, I'm really liking this rifle. Now I need to order a base and recoil pad to finish it off. Next year when we go on the moose hunt I will just buy a stainless, fiberglass model if I decide I need one. What could be wrong with having to add another rifle.

The Model 700 Mountain Stainless sounds like what you want. I don't know exactly what the contour is, but it isn't a heavy barrel, comes with a B&C stock (not sure exactly how it compares to the other B&C Stocks available, but it is bound to be better than the SPS plastic stock).

The MSRP seems a little high on it, but I know that there's usually a big difference between MSRP and actual price. I'd say compare that cost to the cost of getting an SPS stainless and buying the B&C stock, and go from there.

I was looking at one of these at my LGS. $909 on the tag IIRC. A nice outfit, for sure. Stainless bbl/action in 308 Win.