• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

remington got me! how about you..

yotechsr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2008
beyond
Picked up a cdl 700 stainless 300 wsm about a month ago. Took it out of the factory stock and put a leupold mark 4 on it. Thats when the trouble began. The mark 4 had come off another s/a but it would not even hit paper at 30 yds. Had to get the rangemaster to spot me to figure out as to where this was hitting. 10 moa windage later I got it to zero. Took it home and ran a 3' aluminum straight edge off the sides of the base. Left side was paralell with end of barrel(or touching) and from the right side its was almost a quarter inch away from barrel. I took it back and showed the smith my problem and it is now being sent back. Some of you guys have said it before. Some times you get lucky and other times you dont. I will post update as to what rem does. Anyone have this problem and what action was taken?

Re: remington got me! how about you..

Welcome to the club of Disgruntled Former Remington Fans. Per a former Madison employee ... "If it ain't a mil/LE model it just didn't get the love and attention it needed in Illion, NY. Costs too much and Cerberus ain't have'n that."

I will say, however, my latest 7600 is without a doubt the best of the six or seven I've owned. Decent trigger and sub MOA with handloads at 100. The iron sites were in line with the receiver and front site, and the mag actually pops in without five minutes of cursing and slamming and twisting. Just picked it up three or four weeks ago and it is a recent build from the plant as near as I can tell from the serial number. Perhaps a sign that they are taking all the feedback seriously? One can only hope.
frown.gif

i own 2 remys, a 700 vs in 220 swift and a 40xb tactical in 308 and must admit ive never had a problem. both are tack drivers and the 308 can definetly shoot better than i am able to drive it. maybe i was just lucky ? interesting to see how remington treat you , keep us posted

Had it happen on an sps stainless 25.06 for a customer. A dual dove tail leupold base/ring set up wouldn't even let it boresight with a nikon buckmaster 6-14x40. The customer didn't want to wait on another one, so he went and got the base/ring set with the rear windage screws. It zeroed at 100. He is one of those "if I can hit a paper plate at 100 I'm good".

Ahhhh poor bugger he doesnt know what he is missing out on... Should be more along the lines of "if i can hit an egg at 200 im good"

A plate at 100!!? For real?

The scope mount holes on my thirty year old ADL were off also in windage.

I hope that Remington thinks that my new 5R was worth some love and attention during production.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SouthTexasHill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope that Remington thinks that my new 5R was worth some love and attention during production.
smile.gif
</div></div>

The guy I spoke with (shooting nut and former Remington contractor in NY and Madison) essentially said the LE, Mil, and Custom jobs get the same attention they always have, while the hunting and varmint 700s and the shotguns are rushed out at warp speed. As you may know, Remington was about to file for reorg in 2007. They hadn't made a profit in years and were so far in debt many considered liquidation not out of the question. Cerberus bought them and has since squeezed every last dollar out of production and materials sourcing. This happening at the same time as Obama Gun Fever was a recipe for disaster, naturally. That's why both production and QA on the 700s, 7600/7400s and the shotguns is so spotty the last couple of years ... as he put it, they were already squeezed to the max before orders went thru the roof. I bought two pump shotguns, two pump rifles, and a .22 semi last years and had issues with all but one. And the issues with the four were known, and similar problems could easily be found all over the web. To make it worse, customer service and (especially) the attitude of the manager I spoke with in Madison was abysmal on all counts. I fixed every problem myself on all four weapons. They are squeezed, worried about their jobs, and your concerns are secondary. I only own one Savage, but considering the accuracy and quality for the price I paid I don't see me trusting another Remington bolt gun any time soon. Others burned by Remington are also sending a message with their wallets.

But as I said in another post, I took a chance on another 7600 last month and the fit and finish, function, and over all quality is almost as good as my old 760s (which were stellar, btw). The accuracy is far, far better. Sub MOA with handloads at 100 yards. So, perhaps someone is listening after all? I hope so. Because I am still a fan of the old Remington. And I hate my Savage AccuTrigger right now. That lock-up issue when the trigger is set under 4 pounds is still giving me fits.
mad.gif

i got an old 700 rem .223 bull barrel,only prob i ever had was after a bazillion rnds bolt got so dirty wouldnt shoot. after a good cleaning,back to work. its a tack driver, when i miss 100% operator error! what im getting at no matter what flavor you own,i hope you enjoy the rifle as much as i do this one.

Update well it took about two weeks and Remington sent me a brand new one. I cleaned it up and took it out today. Took about 4-5 rounds to get it to bullseye and then put the next 3 0f 4 in a one inch circle. I flinched for one as u may know she kicks like a mule. I burned up enough ammo with the bad one so I quit there. I will take it out to 400 in a week and give a update.

With my stock Remington I hit 15 eggs with 15 shots at 200 yards. Point and shoot.

I too, have never had a problem with Remingtons. In fact the only gun that I own that is a not a Model 700 is an FN. I only own 700P's though. THat is interesting to know that the LE models get a different treatment then the others. I just always thought the price was a little better with a HS stock, then to buy a cheaper model and replace the stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hiddenmongoose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i own 2 remys, a 700 vs in 220 swift and a 40xb tactical in 308 and must admit ive never had a problem. both are tack drivers and the 308 can definetly shoot better than i am able to drive it. maybe i was just lucky ? interesting to see how remington treat you , keep us posted </div></div>

My sps tactical is .75 MOA out at 300 yards.. Working up hand loads for 800 yards.. Ammo cant keep up but its still missing a bowling pin at 700 yards. Just left or just right even with the crap ammo I'm using now. Bone stock at that.

Did you buy your rifle used? Never had a problem with my Remingtons, all shot perfectly well and function well.

I had one with a goofy crown once, but it was getting cut down a bit and redone anyways, so no worries there. Other than that, nothing too serious.
Glad to hear they treated you right.

Glad to hear it worked out for you.

My issue with Remington was more of just attitude. I had a .243 that shot pretty good. But never 1 hole groups. Then I bought a Win 70 HB in .222 and it was the most accurate rifle I ever owned! Since my early days, my dad was a died in the wool Remington man. He had a model 722 in .257 "that just drove tacks". Then he got his .243 and didn't like as much. After a while he hated it. "The .243 just wouldn't drive an 85 gr. bullet like that .257 drove 87 gr. bullets." (See where this is going?) Anyhow, he rebarreled his to .257 after we plugged the barrel. Now it's a single shot because he won't spend the money to work the feed rails. I stayed with my .243 because it was what I had. I ended up selling it and the .222 when I was flat broke. Helped me move to a job.

Anyhow, it took me years to realize what a great rifle I had lost when I sold it.

Remington's are alright. But, like snakum pointed out, the money is getting shelled out of the company by another junk-bond mega money monster. Remington wouldn't be in this boat if they hadn't cow-towed to the big box stores back in the '90's.

I have to use about 20moa from center of windage with my 700SPS-V to get zeroed. I'm running a NXS so I still have plenty but it is a bit disappointing. I'm running a NXS 1pc 20moa mount so I'm pretty sure it's made correctly.

Maybe one day I'll send it in to Remington to have it fixed or get it to a good smith and have the holes straightened out and opened to 8-40. It's a solid 3/4moa gun with me shooting it so I'm hesitant to do anything with it.