• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington HS stock Crack Warp.

Loopm5

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2010
USA
Well I had read were someone one this web site was treated very well by H-S Precision and they received a new stock for a crack issue. Well I called H-S today and the sales staff told me that due to me leaving the rifle in a case in a hot car or truck that is direct abuse and I would have to pay for a new stock. I live is a mild climate state nothing extreme but since the rifle was warped and cracked that the stock must have seen temps over 110 degrees as the rep told me. My personal opinion is there stocks should be able to take well over that! And the rifle only has 125 rds on it. I was not mad in any way I treated the rep with the the most respect and even mentioned this site to them. And the rep said it was abuse plain and simple and that is not covered under warranty. Well I will be putting a different stock on this rifle from a different manufacture ASAP.

Re: Remington HS stock Crack Warp.

Wow. That's all I have to say.

I forgot the point I posted in the first place. What Would be a good stock for 300WM Sendero Remington 700. That would hold up to the elements and not be to hard for the beginner to bed and fit to the stock.

I also have heard good things about the McRee's stocks.Are they a drop in fit as well?

You might seek some relief from Remington, assuming the stock came with the rifle. McMillan and Manners are some other options. Good luck.

I guess that now when I go shooting out here in AZ at 110*+ that I have voided my warranty and have abused my stock....

What a crock !!

.... oh yeah ...now I remember why I have McMillans and not HS "Princesses"...I mean "Precision".

wes out ....shooting my McM's at 115* !!!!!

Yes, I was not sure were he quoted that number from. He did proceed to tell me that the gun was unsafe and un-shootable at that point. But offered no other help other than to help me purchase another stock. But again I will just choose not to use there products.

Thanks for all the answers and I will post with pic's once I choose and install a new stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: was21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess that now when I go shooting out here in AZ at 110*+ that I have voided my warranty and have abused my stock....

What a crock !!

.... oh yeah ...now I remember why I have McMillans and not HS "Princesses"...I mean "Precision".

wes out ....shooting my McM's at 115* !!!!! </div></div>

It's 113 degrees today in Yuma and I am crazy enough to be heading to the range in a bit. I'm glad I sold my HS after my Manners arrived. I wouldn't want to void my warranty.

I cerakoted my HS the other day and it cracked in the oven (180deg). I don't think it will hurt anything so I'll just fill it with marine tex and re-spray it. If it's not going to hurt the functionality of the stock stop worrying about it and just shoot.

We had one under the same circumstances.It split all the way from forend to pistol grip(This is one of their top of the line $650 jobs).They gave us the same utter bullshit that if its exposed to more then 130 degrees the foam reactivates and splits like ice expanding.It also seperates from from the aluminum chassi.

IMO they are realy screwing people with a major design flaw.They claimed they have never had a single GI stock do this which is amazing operating in desert conditions.

I will never recomend them to anyone quite the opposite.If I can I'll post a pic its quite impressive.

Unbelievable! I live in TN and we do not see many days over 100*, but the temps could go to 130* in a car with the windows up. If I leave a rifle in my truck while I am out and about doing business, I would have a major fit if it split.

I will consider this if I ever think of owning an HS stock.

Wow - I'd think that storing a rifle in the interior or trunk of an automobile would constitute "known use", and if that results in an unsafe condition (per the OP's discussion with the manufacturer), then this is just screaming for a product liability lawsuit. It would seem to be in the manufacturer's best interest to quickly and quietly deal with any claims by replacing the defective product.

Yet another reason why my shop has a "hands off" policy regarding H/S stocks.

JUNK!

Just imagine being a DDM/sniper for an L/E~Fed Agency responding to a call with one of these. Imagine not being able to deploy because the stock fell apart.

Funny. I can leave my $1600 RC airplane transmitter in my trailer on a 100+ degree day with zero concern but you can't leave your gun in a trunk?

This is pretty piss poor imho.

Unsat! all the way.

That is all.

C.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MECH1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also have heard good things about the McRee's stocks.Are they a drop in fit as well? </div></div>

They are true drop in and highly modular (read that customizable) to fit your application. With the folding option it fits in a smaller case so that it will fit in the back of an Impala or Charger. Give me a shout if I can help you with one.

Cheers,

Doc

Doc 76251 I would like to know where I would look to purchase one of these stocks. I would of course like a good deal but I would also like to look at the options that are available for this stock. Thanks in advance.

And on the note of JUST shoot it I could do that but, when you use the BI-POD it looks as if some one at WALS-Mart put the scope on if you get my drift. The whole rifle is out of whack.

YES, at first I though I had a bad bi-pod then I thought they drilled the stud off from the factory then that's when I realized it was warped and cracked. It is enough to bug you I guess one could just shoot it, but why settle for substandard.

Boy, if 110 degrees is considered "abuse", I sure hope they know how many of their M24 stocks are serving in the sandbox....

That's some pretty poor Customer Service, in my experience you'll have much better luck with either McMillan or Manners in terms of CS and overall quality. Hell, as for quality, Bell & Carlson has beat HS every time I've had either in my hands.

-matt

well i had an hs stock i was gonna repaint but i believe if i do i will order some of cerakotes airdry paint...this is unbelievable, i have half a dozen of there stocks and have never had this problem...unreal...i guess i will stick with mcmillan or manners from now on...thanks for all of the info

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: monteboy84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Boy, if 110 degrees is considered "abuse", I sure hope they know how many of their M24 stocks are serving in the sandbox....

That's some pretty poor Customer Service, in my experience you'll have much better luck with either McMillan or Manners in terms of CS and overall quality. Hell, as for quality, Bell & Carlson has beat HS every time I've had either in my hands.

-matt </div></div>

Their CS could care less..."Let Remmy handle it!" is their word on the M24.

... but hey , they are Lon Horiuchi approved !!
mad.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WICKEDFISH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Manners says it all </div></div>

I've replaced a couple of HS with Manners, and I have a couple right now that will also be replaced with Manners as soon as the $$ allow.

You might call HS back and ask for someone more senior if you haven't already done that. Even if you don't want to put it on the rifle you can sell it and get some $ to apply to another stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: agusta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might call HS back and ask for someone more senior if you haven't already done that. Even if you don't want to put it on the rifle you can sell it and get some $ to apply to another stock. </div></div>

We got it right from the president of the company dont get much higher then that.......F'um.

How exactly do they expect their stocks which are on the 700 Police rifles, to stand up to being kept in the trunk of the patrol cars of the SWAT snipers? Are they even in touch with reality? I have several of their stocks and they always struck me as strong but brittle if struck too hard or dropped. When I got my MLR three years ago, I put it in a 1.5 AICS. Much more rugged design. If you do manage to damage the skins, they're user servicable with just a small allen wrench.

I have found a good place for the stock it is currently holding my shed door open while I work in the yard.I will probably in the end extract the aluminum to use as shim stock or scrap. As for selling it I WOULD NEVER SELL a piece of equipment that was faulty in any way to any one for any reason unless that poster meant that statement for someone else. I really think I have made my choice to go with the McRee's system it works for my application for this rifle. Thanks Again for all the input.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MECH1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have found a good place for the stock it is currently holding my shed door open while I work in the yard.I will probably in the end extract the aluminum to use as shim stock or scrap. As for selling it I WOULD NEVER SELL a piece of equipment that was faulty in any way to any one for any reason unless that poster meant that statement for someone else. I really think I have made my choice to go with the McRee's system it works for my application for this rifle. Thanks Again for all the input. </div></div>

You may find interest from someone wishing to build their own stock, they could salvage the aluminum chassis portion for another project with an understanding that the composite is junk. Just a thought
wink.gif

-matt

Yes I see your point. This weekend I will break it open and see if any damage to the aluminum chassis is evident there should be no damage to that portion. I just would not think to many people would have composite shops to fashion a stock from the internal chassis. I guess if anything it could be used for a set-up fixture,or a hold fixture.

Pictures would be helpful. This is just plain shameful. WTF? Hard to believe their heads are this far up their asses! 110 degrees, REALLY?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MECH1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I had read were someone one this web site was treated very well by H-S Precision and they received a new stock for a crack issue. Well I called H-S today and the sales staff told me that due to me leaving the rifle in a case in a hot car or truck that is direct abuse and I would have to pay for a new stock. I live is a mild climate state nothing extreme but since the rifle was warped and cracked that the stock must have seen temps over 110 degrees as the rep told me. My personal opinion is there stocks should be able to take well over that! And the rifle only has 125 rds on it. I was not mad in any way I treated the rep with the the most respect and even mentioned this site to them. And the rep said it was abuse plain and simple and that is not covered under warranty. Well I will be putting a different stock on this rifle from a different manufacture ASAP. </div></div>

Fishy. Sounds like you got an idiot sales rep. HS started life in Arizona. They would know better.