• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Remington interal magazines SUCK!

callen3615

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2010
Peidmont, NC
So Ive had my 700 about 8 months now and this had never really bothered me much, I was preoccupied with reloading. But now that I have a decent reloading setup I have focused my attention elsewhere. I have noticed that if I put 4 rounds into the internal mag that my bolt likes to just ride over the top of them, but its not the bolts fault. I have the magazine box installed correctly, the follower is flush with the bottom of the action but when I put my rounds in they dont sit parallel like a detachable mag, they like to angle themselves slightly up in the air.

How do I fix this? I really dont want to have to spend a ton of money on a mag system, I dont shoot in any competetions, not that there are any here to be in, I just would like to use the magazine if I go hunting or something.

Re: Remington interal magazines SUCK!

It sounds as though your bullets may be dragging. What OAL are you loading too?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pat M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is this the box mag with the x2 squeeze on the bottom?

http://www.ammoclip.com/images/Remington/remington%20700bdl%20243win%20308%20factory.jpg

</div></div>

Believe he is talking about the standard factory bottom metal and not Remy's detachable mag system.

The tweaks are to make sure your stamped follower is smooth or call Remy and complain and they just may send you a cast one if you can get a hold of anyone there (leave that for another story). Secondly is slightly bending the follower spring so that is applies more force in the rear to lift. Of course check and be sure the mag box/sleeve is smooth free of burrs.

Mine does the same thing. If I take my time and insure they are seated correctly I don't have the problem. I found that takes to much time so I just load one round at a time... Thinking about just upgrading and going w/ external mags.

Load 3 in the mag, then just throw the 4th one in the side?

Yep, during a match it does take so long to load rounds that it becomes more efficient to just shoot one round at a time. Hence bottom metal. Several are out there that are great. I chose CDI.

Don't know why yours would act like that though. Just a guess, could the spring be weak or binding as you're loading the final round in? Maybe this locks the last round up at just the wrong angle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is a big reason to do press checks </div></div>

I dont need to do a press check. I can see and feel the round not chamber, theres a big difference in bolt resistance when you chamber a round and when the bolt slides over one.

Id like to have a detachable mag system but theyre damn expensive for what they are, and I dont want to do any in letting on my mcmillan.

Try looking where the spring slides into the hinged floor plate. Sometimes they work forward some and the pressure is then uneven on the follower, tipping the back of the brass down just slightly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J York</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try looking where the spring slides into the hinged floor plate. Sometimes they work forward some and the pressure is then uneven on the follower, tipping the back of the brass down just slightly. </div></div>

Will do. thanks

Are you seating you mag all the way up into the recess in the receiver rails?

If you don't want to do any inletting on your McMillan, look at the HS Precision bottom metal. It's very close to the BDL inlet. While it's not as popular as the Badger and other setups that use AI mags, they are center feed and are a big improvement in feeding over the stock internal BDL mag.

Send it to Jeff at CDI. He'll inlet it and ship it back for a total of $260, I think, including the bottom metal.

several companies make nice followers for 700's.

the thin/cheap ones that come from the factory are quiet easily bent and that can cause all sorts of headaches.