• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Remington mil spec 5r

Jonc07

Private
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2012
Florida
I have a stock Remington mil spec 5r that consistently groups .5"@100yards will this be good enough to get me started in f t/r?

The 5R is an excellent first gun. I've been shooting mine for a couple of years. The only thing I've found frustrating about it is the length of the throat. Mine is .095 longer than the throat on my new comp gun. This made for some frustration in load work ups with bullets like Berger's Hybrids. However, it handles the 175 SMK and 178 A-Max very well, if a little long overall.

Thanks for the input guys, I really want to compete to help point out my weaknesses and to improve myself as a long le load 1range shooter. Another question, do you guys load oal to mag length or stretch it out to touch the rifling because my mag well only allows me to load out to about 2.850, and does this matter in f t/r?

You single-load in an F T/R match so it won't matter about magazine capability. And yes, your 5r will shoot nicely with some much more expensive rigs that will likely be next to you on the line. Good luck with your match.

I use the same loads that I shoot in tactical competitions so I load to magazine length. The Sierra 175s take the jump well. I do plan on some experimenting with seating depth but I originally started using this gun in F/TR as practice for tactical matches so I used the same load.

I have a 5r in an AICS chassis and it has been an amazing shooter. I hand load Hornady 178 amax, win brass, rem 9.5, 44grs RL15, bullets seated to 2.252-253 at the ogive. When I do my part this nets me sub .5 moa groups at the 100/200yd line and roughly 2750ish fps in warmer temps. This load is just about max AI mag length. IIRC my jump to the lands is nearly .050-ish (long Remington throat per usual). I chose to be able to use a mag vs single load. The jump does not seem to hinder accuracy, but I have not tried seating bullets just off the lands as this load has performed very well for me.

The biggest difference between your rifle and a custom rig is mostly a longer barrel which gets you a few FPS in MV, which gets you maybe an inch or so on windage. That translates to a couple of points here and there in a 20 shot match if you and the guy you are shooting against make the same wind calls; but both rifles will shoot 7s if you miss the wind call, get out and shoot it. In the F-TR game it's way more about the shooter than the rifle. No 308 will stay in the 10 ring if you miss a 2MPH letoff.

Another advantage of Custom Rig were;

• Match Chamber will maximize Brass life.
• Match Barrel, Custom Contour
• Stock Bedding

5 Shots Group @ 200 Yards (.189 MOA)
Rifle : LB Tactical Recon Bolt Rifle
Action : Stiller Tac 30
Barrel : LB Match 1:10tw 24" Bull Barrel
Trigger : Jewell
Stock : Mcmillan Prone

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Jon,
Jump in with both feet and go compete.

g_abac,
Great group. Gotta love it when it all comes together!!!

• Stock Bedding

• Stock Bedding

And until you can read wind it will shoot just as many 7s as a stock 5R at 1000 yards.

Unless you're shooting close to 190 the gun isn't making much difference. Don't get me wrong, they are damned nice to have, but they don't effect your score too much for a while. I've seen more than a few custom guns finish behind a bone stock Savage. Money would be better spent on bullets, a good rear bag and a good bipod. By all means if you've got the $$ jump in and get it built, but my point to a new shooter is that in the 1000 yard game he's not giving up anything until he gets some experience.

And until you can read wind it will shoot just as many 7s as a stock 5R at 1000 yards.

Unless you're shooting close to 190 the gun isn't making much difference. Don't get me wrong, they are damned nice to have, but they don't effect your score too much for a while. I've seen more than a few custom guns finish behind a bone stock Savage. Money would be better spent on bullets, a good rear bag and a good bipod. By all means if you've got the $$ jump in and get it built, but my point to a new shooter is that in the 1000 yard game he's not giving up anything until he gets some experience.

I'd agree with that, if a shooter can't read wind a 5000.00 rig aint gonna help much. Seen several guys shooting Savages whip guys with customs.