• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington Model 7 action

dagwood

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2008
Myrtle Beach,SC
What is the major difference between a model 7 and 700 actions?
Also, who makes a tactical style stock to fit the model 7 if anybody? Just got a model 7 given to me in 7mm-08, thought it would be a good place to start a mild build.
Thanks
Steve

Re: Remington Model 7 action

I think both Manners and McMillan can inlet any of their tactical type stocks for the model 7. The difference between the 7 and 700 is the length of the action. The 7 is about 1/2" shorter at the rear bridge.

One thing- there are far fewer accessories for the 7 than the 700. You won't be able to find a DBM system, for example, for the Model 7.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: darrenk75b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think both Manners and McMillan can inlet any of their tactical type stocks for the model 7. The difference between the 7 and 700 is the length of the action. The 7 is about 1/2" shorter at the rear bridge.

One thing- there are far fewer accessories for the 7 than the 700. You won't be able to find a DBM system, for example, for the Model 7. </div></div>

Its odd that no one makes a DBM for the 7 when it uses 700 mag, follower and spring. I think it would be doable I used to have a picture comparison of the two floorplates but has long been deleted I guess. 700 Triggers fit, and there are 20MOA bases out there for the 7.

Hi i have worked on the detachable system for a model 7 as i have one in 7mm Rem SAUM and it can be done with AR10 mags but the big ptoblem is the distance between the rear of the magbox cutout and trigger is a lot less and does not give you much room to fit the detachable system lever or back of the magwell it is realy tight and the trigger guart needs to be made smaller aswell to get it to work.

it is harder than you think lay a model7 next to a 700 and you will see great action but is making me wish my model 7 was a 700 for ease of fitting mags the actions are just as accurate though but things to consider. tom Manners can inlet you his stocks for a model7 and i am sure Mac Millan could you need to use a custom stock maker not a company like HS or B&C because they can adapt the inlet on a 1 by 1 basis and are not conformed to a production stock.

There is a bit smaller gap between the trigger etc, but I would have to guess that you would need to trim the trigger just like you have to trim it for winchester bottom metal. That would give you room for the mag release lever to move enough to release

If you don't want to build it up let me know....I have a SS 270WSM barreled action on a M700 for trade fodder.

I am looking to do a light weight build on a model 7.

Cameron Murphy at Murphy Precision can machine you a picatinney rail to fit the Model 7 - awesome work & customer service!!

EGW makes a Model-7 rail.

I like the Model-7. It is long enough for .308 so that is, to me, long enough for a short action.