• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington model 700 SPS in a 308

Furtaker_.223

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2010
Columbia IL
www.snipershide.com
To all you experts here,
I just purchased a Remington model 700 in a 308 heave barrel. My questions are, what barrel twist might this be, can I put a H.S. precision stock on it?
The rifle came with the green synthetic stock with the forend fluted. I am guessing this is a SPS varmint/tactical. I bought it used at Cabelas but it was never fired. It doe's have the adjustable trigger on it. How low can I adjust the trigger to? What kind of groups can I expect to get with handloads? I want to have the bolt fluted and a Badger bolt handle on it along with a H.S. precision stock.
If I think of any more questions I will ask.
Or if you can give me any tips to really tricking this thing out. I bought this rifle to do just that.

Re: Remington model 700 SPS in a 308

twist is 1-12
an HS stock would add some needed weight to your rifle.Id get the HS from a pss or a 5r rifle.you can find them here regularly lightly used.
Accuracy is excellent with hanloads,use the search or go to bolt action rifles forum and look for the sps threads,there is alot of info here.
Youll be pleased with the sps tactical.

Barrel twist is 1 in 12 as noted by the others.

The trigger can be adjusted reasonably low, but if you really want a good trigger, replace that thing and drop a Jewell preferably or a Timney in it. They are both a step up from the X Mark trigger.

Unless you are dead set on a HS Precision, I would also look at Bell and Carlson. They make a quality stock with an aluminum bedding block that is in my opinion on par with the HS Precision. Either way, ditching that factory stock will improve your groups.

Handloads will make a world of difference. When you find the combination in those hand loads that matches your gun, you will have a real shooter. Look at some of the ball powders like Accurate 2520 and Hodgdon BL-C2. I have had good success with these, but there are others also.

I was looking at both the H.S. precision and the medalist varmint in the bell and carlson. I really like the look of the bell and carlson, I asume it will fit? I bought this rifle to customize to my likings. I was going to shoot it this weekend, but the bolt just went out to have a tactical knob put on. Any good bolt fluters here? That is the next step. Then to the stock. Just got my precision reflex base rail with 20 MOA.

if you need a hs PSS take off stock leme know, im about to be selling mine
wink.gif

The easiest thing to do is find an HS Precision stock taken off either a Remington 5R or 700P. I have the 20" barreled SPS Tactical and the 5R looks better because it is a tad bit shorter than the 700P stock.

Let me see if I can post some pics.

Before:
S6301820.jpg

After:
S6301874.jpg

I think most commercial .308s are 1/10". H/s makes maultiple stocks for Rem 700s. Trigger adjust? Truthfully, the one I have (got in a trade) is sweet, very crisp, never considered fooling with it. Groups- find the bullet/power/primer combo the gun likes and pay attention to case prep and you can expect sub-MOA easy. My rifle likes Hornady Light Magnum 150gr. SSTs so well (and @close to 3000 FPS from the 26" bbl) that I haven't bothered with a load work up. My Mauser 98 30-06 was different. It was partial to Sierra 130gr FBHPs and Sierra 165gr HPBTs. Mine has the black composite stock with the spider web paint, wide forend, etc. and I like it very much.

I did adjust the trigger, It feels a little lighter, i don't have a trigger scale, but feels lighter 1-1 1/2 lbs. Maybee? I will be shooting it tommorow, then it comes appart. It is getting cryo. frozen, New stock, bolt goes out to get fluted and tactical knob barrel gets fluted. Ordered the nightforce rail.
I want to see how it is going to shoot, then do the work, and see if all this makes it shoot better.

Did more research after reading the other posts. The Rem may be a 1/12, but I found so many other ideas it will just be up to you! 1/10 will stabalize up to 220gr. bullets just fine, and according to the Shilen Barrel site, the slower the twist the lighter the bullets being stabalized . They go all the way down to 1/17 twists and 110 gr. bullets. Savage .308s are 1/10, and according to some posts, the Rem 700s even vary between 1/10 and 1/12.

Go with the 175 SMK's. good ballistic coefficiency, and great accuracy once you figure out your handload.

Don't get all cought up in the twist. The 1/12 remmy will serve for pretty much all but the heaviest bullets and at that point, you'd be better getting into 30-06 territory. A number of people are shooting 210g bullets out of 20" 1/12 twist with success.

Here's what I did with my SPS Varmint.

Bedded into B&C stock with Karsten's cheekpiece, cut barrel to 20" and recrowned, larger bolt handle, Jim See's level 1 accuracy package, 20 MOA base with Leupold rings. Shoots 175 SMK's real well.

700308.jpg

http://www.centershotrifles.com/

Fast Ed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kbrady</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The easiest thing to do is find an HS Precision stock taken off either a Remington 5R or 700P. I have the 20" barreled SPS Tactical and the 5R looks better because it is a tad bit shorter than the 700P stock.

Let me see if I can post some pics.

Before:
S6301820.jpg

After:
S6301874.jpg
</div></div>

Did I miss something whats the difference in the before and after?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iloveguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Did I miss something whats the difference in the before and after?</div></div>

The Hogue and the HS do look similar from the side, but at an angle you can see the difference much easier, especially around the barrel channel. Seeing them in person helps recognition, too, as they look and feel different.
Pull the stocks off and you would see a huge difference.

First pic is the factory Hogue stock, which is crap IMO. Next pic is of an HS precision stock off a Remington 5r.

Mine shoots 168 smk's with 41.5g of H4895 at .5 moa groups suppressed. I also had the barrel cutdown to 18" while it was getting threaded.

IMG00028-20100426-1603.jpg

IMG00057-20100321-1018.jpg

Here is also another load that shoots really good, Varget 44g and hornady 168 Amax's

IMG00028-20100209-0106.jpg

I got really really good results with 43.9 varget and Hornady BTHP's. Their match isn't bad, but I'm excited to try the 175 SMKs instead of the 168s I've been using.

I've also got some 178 amaxs in the mail.

smile.gif

I think that the SPS Varmint is a great platform to start with. Add want you want and end up with a good shoot'n rifle.

For mine I went:

HS Stock
HS DM Bottom Metal
NF Scope
Sinclair bipod

1st outing with handloads (175 SMK, 42.0 Varget)

5-shot group
4630545530_aace8f9f1f.jpg

4630543958_19fcac80df_b.jpg