• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Remington model 700 SS 5r milspec

cp3head

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2010
Pennsylvania
I have been looking at rifles on this web site for quite some time now and I am looking into purchasing a a new rifle. The caliber will be .308 and it will be used for target shooting at 300-500 yards. My biggest question is if the remington model 700 milspec 5r is as accurate as all of the literature states, why would one invest in rifle that runs anywhere from 2-5 times the cost? I am not trying to put anyone or any gun down, as I am new to this, I am trying to get some feedback. What are some of the major differences between the different brands, cost, besides personal preference? Thanks in advance.

Re: Remington model 700 SS 5r milspec

Major differences...

1) Stock types
2) Action Model
3) Barrel type and profile
4) Aftermarket parts availability

I would say #4 is the biggest thing for most individuals.

You can still run a 5R remington in target shooting, nothing to say you cant.

But the guy next to you might have a trued up action, match grade barrel, perfect bedding job, custom trigger that breaks light and crisp, custom crown job, chamber cut with a reamer offering optimal seating depth etc etc... and he might not have wasted any parts in doing this as he went totally custom. Yes it cost more to build, but its a hammer right from the start.

Whereas you may eventually replace bits and pieces to get it just how you want it and it may well just end up costing you the same amount or more than a custom rifle.

Most remingtons that get their actions trued up and have a nice trigger installed and shoot handloads, are more than capable of 1/2MOA.

And lots of factory 5R's shoot 1/2 MOA outta the box with handloads. The reason I sold mine was I couldn't fit it's most accurate load in the factory magazine. I also just wanted to know that my action was square and everything had been gone through to put my mind at ease. Now I know that my equipment is proper and any accuracy issue is likely ME. Nothing wrong with my old 5R, 5/8" groups @100yds on average.

my 5R is a tack driver but I was ultimately not completely happy with everything else other than how it shot. So after swapping out chassis,dropping a new trigger in, adding a tactical bolt knob, cerakoting the action and barrel and threading it for a break/suppressor adapter I'm sitting about 3k invested into it. But it's still an awesome place to start and it'll shoot for you right from the get go. It's just a matter of what you want the endstate to be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Daps!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my 5R is a tack driver but I was ultimately not completely happy with everything else other than how it shot. So after swapping out chassis,dropping a new trigger in, adding a tactical bolt knob, cerakoting the action and barrel and threading it for a break/suppressor adapter I'm sitting about 3k invested into it. But it's still an awesome place to start and it'll shoot for you right from the get go. It's just a matter of what you want the endstate to be.</div></div>

+1... I bought my 5r for it's flexibility to upgrade, the thinking being, it was my first non-hunting rifle and its reputation made it a good starting point to wade into LR shooting. If I liked it I would upgrade over time to make it legit. Also, it allowed me enough $ to buy a USO at the outset... I have now installed ordered a manners t5a with mini chassis, bolt conversion...etc.

But the 5r shoots .65" 5 shots at 100 and was a good investment even though at the end of the day it will have cost as much as a GAP Crusader... Next
year I'll buy a GAP.. And keep the 5r as a backup or rebarrell it and rechmber to .260

I bought my 5r for the same reasons everybody above did, I wanted a good platform to learn LR shooting. I am a little disappointed in the accuracy but after reading the above posts sounds like it's normal. The shooting is probably me as I'm new at this LR stuff. I'm getting .4 moa to .75 moa, I think as I learn more I may get a little more consistant. I have shot a couple of less then 1/4 moa 3 shot groups but I know 3 shot groups don't count. Anyway I have a few upgrading plans for my 5r. AI 1.5 stock, muzzle break, Robar coating and upgrade the bolt. Also just ordered $900 of reloading equip to try and squeeze a little more accuracy out of it. If anybody has any good load info would appreciate it. Thanks

I must have a good cause I can drop five shots in almost one hole with match grade ammo at 100. I am looking into one in .223.

You must have a good one, I've been reading all 5r posts since I bought mine 6 months ago. Have not read about any 5r shooting that well and the review on www.snipercentral.com wasn't near that close. I would like to see pic's of the targets.

I was going to buy a 5r and a buddy works at gander mtn got me a good deal on a sps varmit I added a b&c stock had it bedded and the barrel lapped for less money than the cost of a 5r, It will shoot 1/4 moa if I do my part. After hearing what you guys are saying about out of box accuracy of the 5r, I don't regret my decision now

Thanks for all of the input. I am planning on reloading once I find the "right" rifle for me. I am still undecided which direction I am going to go. If anybody has any ideas for a good base starter gun, that will upgrade nicely as my skill set progresses, please let me know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lovain1932</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was going to buy a 5r and a buddy works at gander mtn got me a good deal on a sps varmit I added a b&c stock had it bedded and the barrel lapped for less money than the cost of a 5r, It will shoot 1/4 moa if I do my part. After hearing what you guys are saying about out of box accuracy of the 5r, I don't regret my decision now </div></div>

But your the exception with a contact in the industry, normal people don't get that. I would venture to say a normal person pays full price for the sps varmit then add the cost of your B&C stock the cost of the bedding, the cost of the lapping and the normal person has spent the same or more than the 5r cost and the 5r doesn't need any of that and is still a better rifle.

mine with my YHM 762 can
005-2.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SkiNut</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lovain1932</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was going to buy a 5r and a buddy works at gander mtn got me a good deal on a sps varmit I added a b&c stock had it bedded and the barrel lapped for less money than the cost of a 5r, It will shoot 1/4 moa if I do my part. After hearing what you guys are saying about out of box accuracy of the 5r, I don't regret my decision now </div></div>

But your the exception with a contact in the industry, normal people don't get that. I would venture to say a normal person pays full price for the sps varmit then add the cost of your B&C stock the cost of the bedding, the cost of the lapping and the normal person has spent the same or more than the 5r cost and the 5r doesn't need any of that and is still a better rifle. </div></div>

+1

OK,let me take a stab at this.i actually went in reverse of most people on this thread.i used to shoot alot of 500-1000Yd f-class matches.so i had a good friend of mine geoff corn build me a custom.granted,i spared no expeince.rifle was buildt to USMC sniper specs.everything heavt duty and accurate.mcmillian a5,williams botton metal,jewell trigger,kreiger 26" stainless ultra match chambered in 7rsaum.the rifle was topped off with a mark 4 6.5x20x50 leupold.the rifle shot lazer beams and a tac driver to boot but it also set me back about 2600.00 not counting glass and at 15 and a half pounds was'nt good for anything but long range stationary shooting.fast forward alittle,daughter now older and in to everything,no time for match shooting.sold my 7mm.was looking for a all around,do everything rifle that brake the bank.bought a r5 for 900.00 from a local store(whittakers in ky)took it to geoff,had him adjust trigger to 2 pounds,true the action,lap the lugs,re-chambered it so i could shoot 175smk's mag length and still have no more than.030 jump and kunkote the stainless barrell olive drab.topped it off with a super sniper 10x40m(dog them if you must but it will do everything my leuy would,may be better).i now have a all around rifle that will literally shoot in the .2's and .3's when i do my part,i can coyote hunt with it(weighs less than 10 pounds)deer hunt with it,shoot to 1000yds with it,all for 1600.00 total,glass and and all.there's my arguement for the r5.sorry,did'nt mean to write a book,just say'n.

Although I have a brand new GAP Hospitaller in .308 that is awesome, a 5r has been calling to me...so I have one, in .308, on lay away. Sounds like I will be pleased.

I've had my 5R for several years now with a little over 3000 rounds down the tube. I have it in an A-5, Mk 4 and bedded myself (with the help of an old benchrest friend). Great rifle, solid 1/2 to 5/8 gun.

KJ

In my experience the 5R is a great rifle. Good friend of mine had one that was an honest .25moa shooter with old red box Fed Match 180BTHPs. The only mods were a trigger and a Voetex F/S.

Keith

I purchased a 5r three years ago as a stater gun. It has performed beyond my expectations. For the money a 5r cant be beat. As for a big dollar custom build, you are getting a hand built rifle the way you want it with the next level of accuracy. Is a custom build worth the money all depends on the individual. Someday I will do a custom build, but for now I will spend my money on ammo & shoot the crap out of what I have.

what part of PA are you in? i have a .300 Win. Mag. Remington 700 5r that your more than welcome to shoot.

on mine i have a Surefire brake/suppressor adaptor, 20 MOA rail, 5-20 Vortex Razor HD, bolt knob, factory trigger set at 2.5lbs and had it sprayed with black gunkote.

never really sat down and figured out what i have into it,.. but it shoots. i use it for LR shooting, hunting, and if i can get the time away from work i am going to use in some local competitions too.

i'm near Hazelton, PA. i shoot at a 1000yd range in Lewisburg, PA. i'll have to re zero my scope (i just had the rail mounting screws upgraded) but i'll have that done this weekend,.. if either place is close it shouldn't be a issue.

I have a 5r now and it is a great shooter....but these custom guns your are talking about are made to the shooters specs so it has everything they want and nothing they don't....

+1 for 5R...Bought a 5R over a year ago and put a SS 10x42 on it, and I'm happy with it. When I get better behind the wheel, I'll decide whether to modify the 5R or build a custom rifle.

I just bought my 5R two months ago and it is my first bolt action rifle. It is tack sharp right out of the box....couldn't be happier. Custom rifles may be far better but for $1000 it is awesome. This rifle will be a keeper for many years to come.

Infidel_0066-1.jpg

The reason i bought my 5R was because I'm positive the gun will out shoot me until I get better. when the day comes that I can out shoot he rifle is the day I send the action in to be trued and then turn it into something custom that I want. For the 1k that the rifle costs, its a great beginner rifle that can easily be upgraded down the line.

all i can say is i have had my 700 5r milspec for a couple years and have 6000+ rounds all handloads and can still put 1/4 inch 5 shot groups together at 100yards. and will do between 1/2 and 3/4 inch at 200 all day everyday. many people say loading just off the lands does not make a difference it does. loading 168g smk and 10 thousand off the lands makes that rifle shoot! me and a bud shoot the same loads of imr 4064 42.7g in a fed case with cci 200 at 2.942 oal for my rifle and 2.928oal for his is the key. my loads a bit longer because the throat is worn. gota love the 5r milspec... but got to get rid of the xmark trigger

Here is my Rem 700 5r 308, I also have one in 300 WM. They are great rifles and they are a really good deal for the money. This rifle shoots consistently in the .2's to .3's with one load. Most loads shoot .5 to .6 inch at 100 yards. However, I have bought a 6 mm krieger barrel for this rifle and I plan to turn it into a .243.
2n0ihlk.jpg

I lucked out on a 5R purchase from a Hide member and I am glad I did...that thing is so much fun to shoot. I was shooting a chassis system, but the HS Precision stock that comes with the 5R fits me just right. It is a hammer indeed. I will never regret that purchase.

how much did you pick that rifle up for?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GTGunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just bought my 5R two months ago and it is my first bolt action rifle. It is tack sharp right out of the box....couldn't be happier. Custom rifles may be far better but for $1000 it is awesome. This rifle will be a keeper for many years to come.

Infidel_0066-1.jpg
</div></div>

and how is it a 1000$ rifle in a 1200$ stock?
I guess that is new math

what kind of stock is that? nice piece of glass on there. is that the 5.5 to 22 nxs, but yours looks a year or two newer than mine, looks like yours has zero stop! Nice rifle! i think this winter im gona send my glass back and get the zero stop turrets put on. i cant se nightforce charging to much to do it but then again we are talking nightforce! maybe they will give me a deal if i send all three in at the same time. i think im dreaming though. And for 1000 you stole that rifle even if it has a boat load of rounds through it send it to krieger and get the same barrel put on with the 5r riffling and have the action trued and you basicly have a custom rifle for pretty damn cheap or when you get sick of it you can sell it to me! lol

damn i just saw your out of joliet. im in des plaines and good long ranges in your neck of the woods?

I go to ASC (aurora sportsmen club) Waterman IL for 600 yd - probably a little over an hour ride from Desplaines same as for me, other wise Racine WI has 600, Lodi WI has 1200 but they are all clubs you have to join - nothing over 100 yds in the area at public ranges

how much is aurora to get? is it public? right now i have the family pass at bristol wisconsin which is real close to gurnee mills shopping center across from great america. they have a trap range, pistol, and rifle 100 and 200 yards its a decent place to shoot. most of the shooters there are just there to hit a man size target at 100 and if they can put a few shots in the head they jump for joy! i like shooting the 3 inch shoot and see targets at 200 and will usually try to get 10 rounds in half the target and that is about as far as i get to shoot unless i drive to my land in tenn.

doesn't bristol have the load 1 rule for the public range? - for the rest of the year ASC would be about 450 and the same for following full years

yeah bristol does have the bullshit one round rule for long guns i dont mind it when just target shooting and with some of the idiots out there sometimes it can be a good thing... like people trying to load fmj in there tube magazine 30-30s. scary part is i have already seen a guy doing that.

i hate the rem 5r so much i just bought my 2nd, i take out the 5r more than the 40x, it is one hell of a rifle even compared to customs that cost twice as much! there are the best shooting out of the box rifle you can buy!

Another +1for the 5r. I've had mine for two years and couldn't be happier with it.Is it as good as a custom gun? Never will be. I changed the stock to a ACIS, put some good glase on it, S&B, and took a LR course at TVP in Ohio. It shoots as good as I can hold it and I'll spent the differance in ammo.

anyone know what the muzzle O.D is on the 5R? is it .820? been looking into a 5R to get started myself or a sendero....

i think its .830 or just under

I got mine, and shot it for a year, and some. Got some "spare cash", and bought a TRG-42, in 300 Mag. I don't get to the Long range, that often{east coast sucks, for open ground}, But at 100, they both shoot Bug holes. Can't tell the targets, apart, unless I mark them. Now, I know I'll see the TRG shine, when I have time to get to the Long range, but the 5R certainly holds her own.

I bought 3 of the 5R's. I understand it's hard to justify buying 2.5 to 3.5k rifles when these shoot so well. And they do. But we all like what we like. I have three custom 1911 at over 2k, need - no. Wanted them and got them.

My Guns are:
5R $1,100
Timney flat trigger$125
Bed action $75
Karsten cheek riser $75

All for under $1,500. It adds up.

I was doing good on my budget till I went seekins rings and bases and F1 NF and a 7.62SD-N

anyone know how many of these rifles are actualy made each year?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bob munden 45lc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone know how many of these rifles are actualy made each year? </div></div>

Well... considering everyone has one these days and there does not seem to be a shortage, I don't think they are 'limited production' anymore.

My R5 in .223 is a tack driver. Routinely shooting one holers. The one below measures .245" ctc.

i think they are all tack drivers i bought a 10th anniverery to see if my 1st was a fluke on how well it shot, they both shoot better than could be expected, they both love 168smk and 190smk, but have not developed a super accurate 175 yet, tips on the 175 load would be great!

I just got a 5R in .308. Dialed the trigger as light as it would go, bedded it, and stuck a Leupy M5 8.5x25-50 on a 20 MOA rail. Three round groups will touch if I don't drink much coffee at 200. I'm not much of a shooter, so I think it's a pretty good firearm. Thinking about a .300 WM.