• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington Model 742 Woodmaster

BrentlyWhite

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2019
Don’t know if this is the right place for this but it is a semi auto. This was my first high powered rifle I ever owned at the tender age of 16. I don’t know when I sold it but nostalgia is making me want to find one and buy it. It was in .30-06 and a hunting rifle. I absolutely enjoyed the experience hunting with it. I can still recall the memories. Am I crazy?

Wanted one of the basket weave pattern 742s as a kid but way out of reach cost wise at the time. Almost bought one a couple times in recent years but the thrill was gone.

I think your crazy. However, I did nearly the same thing, bought one used at 16. It was a Remington 742 Woodsmaster in 30-06. It was my second rifle and my first serious deer rifle. Put a Bushnell 4-16x Sportview on it and thought it was the shit. Started reloading for it trying to squeeze good groups from it. Killed a few deer with it in high school and put it away when I joined the service.

Years later, it was described to me by a friend as the "Wisconsin State Deer Rifle". Lo and behold it is the State Deer rifle for Missouri too and certainly other states as well.

Although I still own it, I never shoot it because I realize now how mediocre it is. Built for pie-plate precision and slaying deer at 80 yards. It does that, but I don't anymore. I keep it in a hallway closet in the house leaning in the corner in case I am burglarized. Maybe the thief will find this "prize" and move on without looking further. Maybe they won't look any harder for the real valuable firearms more secured. Other than that, its a POS in my eyes.

But to each their own.

AG

Last edited:
I know a lot of guys have great memories of the 742, but when I owned my shop (in Missouri-lol) I quit taking these on trade. Every single one that came through my shop had feeding problems, and even back then, about 20 years ago, parts were just not available.
Maybe that has changed now.
For a wall hanger or something to spark good memories, I think they are great. To actually use as a semi-auto-look for a 7400 or newer

I know a lot of guys have great memories of the 742, but when I owned my shop (in Missouri-lol) I quit taking these on trade. Every single one that came through my shop had feeding problems, and even back then, about 20 years ago, parts were just not available.
Maybe that has changed now.
For a wall hanger or something to spark good memories, I think they are great. To actually use as a semi-auto-look for a 7400 or newer
Exactly a wall hanger. For the memories.

Still jam-o-matics unless you are willing to take the time to get it right. I have one and it's been a journey. They still don't like being dirty.

I had the same thoughts as some of y'all and ended up with a couple 760s for the memories. Pump so don't have to worry about the action wearing out like the 742 but looks very similar / same kind of wood and usable for the memories.

In my younger yrs, I killed pile of deer with a 742 30-06, Tasco scope, Rem 180gr RN corlokts. Used to oil ammo in magazine to make it run better. ?

My dad had the 742 basketweave 30-06. I always thought is was a beautiful gun. I know have it after his passing 4 years ago and it brings back memories of childhood hunts with him. That and one of the old Remington 1100s he had are cherished guns I hope to pass to my son one day.

I still own a 742 basketweave 30.06. Yes, it jams but it still shoots and I have taken a lot of deer over the years. I would post a pic but my camera is down at the moment.