• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington Mountain SS 308

Texas156

Private
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2014
Looking at possible getting one in 308 for my new primary deer rifle. Remington has it listed at 6.5 lbs, i would probably throw in a timney trigger right when i get it. Comes with B&C stock which I've heard pretty good reviews about. Would be topped with a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44. So has anyone got one or know anything about their accuracy?
Thanks for the help

I have two mountain rifles from Remington. One older blued with wood stock and a newer stainless with laminate stock and they both shoot great. They are a good hunting rifle if that is what you are looking for.

OP sounds like an excellent combo. Not sure if you will be hunting in the woods or thicket, but maybe a Zeiss 2.5-8 will give you a bit more field of view up close and is a 1/4 pound lighter. Throw in some Talley rings and you might come in just under 8 lbs.

As with any rifle, there is no guarantee of accuracy, as machining varies a bit from rifle to rifle. Its more about the quality of the metal and barrel making process. Given that, there is no reason why that Mountain SS can not be a sub moa rifle with the correct ammo.

Another option is a Tikka T3 lite stainless. I have one and with a 2-7x33 and DNZ rings it right at 7 lbs.

The barrel is standard size and contour, made by Sako and does have excellent groupings with almost any ammo.
The trigger is excellent right out of the box
Comes with lightweight DBM so you can carry a loaded spare in your pocket and its not rattling around.
Smooth bolt, Sako extractor.

I've got one of the original 7mm-08 Mountain Guides that Remington did as a special run for Gander Mtn. Basically a stainless mountain rifle in an ADL B&C stock they used for the first generation Ti rifle. It weighs 6 lbs 12 oz with talley lightweights and a VX3 2.5-8x36. Like peas and carrots...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the great info guys. Do y'all know of the barrel is free floated or not? I couldn't tell off Remington's website.