• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington moves 2 lines from NY to Ala. due to Cuomo's "Safe Act"

Fred_C_Dobbs

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2010
105 to be laid off at Remington Arms in Ilion, N.Y.

SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- One hundred and five people will be laid off at Remington Arms in Ilion, Sen. James Seward's office confirmed this afternoon.

The layoffs are part of the gun maker's plans to move two assembly lines to Alabama, which was announced in May, Seward's office said.

In May, the president of United Mine Workers Local 717 said about 80 people would be laid off with no guarantees of jobs at the new plant. Fran Madore said at the time that the passage of the NY Safe Act played into the decision.

WKTV reported the news this afternoon.

Here's some information from my story from May. Please check back for updates.

Starting in July, Remington will begin shifting assembly lines of its Bushmaster semi-automatic rifle and 1911 pistol to Alabama, eventually moving from 100 to 150 jobs. The plant currently has about 1,300 workers.

The move is part of a larger reorganization by Remington as it plans to open a new massive factory in Alabama, the website The Outdoor Wire reported. This week, Remington workers at six locations, including Ilion, were notified of the changes, the website reported.

Good to hear. I do feel for the workers that cannot relocate, but I am pretty sure they knew the writing was on the wall.

I'm glad to see the move, while they didn't move to TN, I'm glad they moved to one our neighbors! NY doesn't deserve the income (tax revenue) from Remington or any other firearms related company, I'm only surprised it has taken them this long to make the move.

It's about damn time! They should have moved a long time ago. As far as the quality for Remington goes, I have no idea why anyone would think it would be worse. Alabama is nothing like the media and so many others make it out to be. If you think the quality will be worse by them moving to Alabama then I would have to speculate you have never been to Alabama or know anything about its people and economics. Don't listen to all the BS you see on TV all of the time. Alabama definitely has its place!

It's about damn time! They should have moved a long time ago. As far as the quality for Remington goes, I have no idea why anyone would think it would be worse. Alabama is nothing like the media and so many others make it out to be. If you think the quality will be worse by them moving to Alabama then I would have to speculate you have never been to Alabama or know anything about its people and economics. Don't listen to all the BS you see on TV all of the time. Alabama definitely has its place!
I worked with a guy from Alabama. His name was slackjaw. He thought he was a genius, but not so much. I feel he was a fair representation of he state.

Good, more companies need to do this. It would be nice to see the Rocky Mtn states get some action too.

My money says quality will improve, just like the auto industry did when they started moving down here. By the way, how many Rocket/s payloads has Wi put into obit or landed upon the moon? Huntsville is main backup for many things uncle just encase you did not know. Also I believe the ability to shoot down RPG's in flight was tested at Huntsville as well(I watched a few from Madkin Mtn many times), as did the hyperbolic's used in the tunnels(very impressive to watch as well). Redstone Arsenal is a very interesting place, Oh just so you know Micro-Wave and VLF/HF como has a long history there as well. You guys do have good cheese though, you got us there!
Cheers,...

Don't forget the beer.

Oh, and one of the best medical research colleges in the nation.

Cheers

I worked with a guy from Alabama. His name was slackjaw. He thought he was a genius, but not so much. I feel he was a fair representation of he state.

Since we're working with a sample of one, I name Jeffery Damher the Wisconsin representative. Do you murder, rape and eat (in that order) teenage boys?

Go ahead. I'm not a native. Seems more yankees (not one of those, either) populate the state than natives.

I live about 10 miles from the plant in Ilion. Many people over here was not surprised with the move of the 2 lines.

But what I did find rather strange was that in the September Outdoor Life Magazine,(page14), there is an article about the about the same thing..
If I remember correctly,, The contents of this issue was turned in, worked on, and completed least a few months back.
So....
How did the Outdoor Life know about this..
How long have they known about this..

It kinda sucks that the workers were the last ones to know...

I have had the opportunity to work with a lot of smart folks in hi tech, financial and health care industries. No one I have met in those industry is head and shoulders above those I have worked with in Huntsville. While I cant speak, from first hand knowledge, for the entire state, there is some serious intellectual horsepower in that town.

I really miss being able to buy ammo online. That cuomo.......own a tube fed 22lr that your grandfather gave you= assault rifle=criminal. Who doesnt have an old nylon66 or rem marlin tube gun.

I moved out of NYC when my registered HK91 and Mini-14's were considered years later to be illegal. It shows me what is the purpose of registration. I said my rifles were out of state, but my friend ignored the letter from the Firearms Control Board and a month later had 6 police officers knocking on his door and took his HK91 without paying a penny for it. They said he would have been arrested if the letter was sent "registered" and he signed for it.
It is interesting because when I ordered the HK91 for Ford's Firearms I never received it and two ATF agents took the time to show up at my parents home. They said organized crime was simply pasting a new shipping label over the original. The pair of Mini-14 folders were bought at Jovino's on Center Street. Now I live in a free state but if the same thing happens here ...