• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Remington MSR

shooting4life

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2007
Bay Area, CA
I was perusing the Remington website and ran across this

Remington MSR

I searched under MSR here and could not find anything, I wonder what this thing is going to run. I find it interesting that they are going to offer it in 338 Norma Mag. What do you all think.

Re: Remington MSR

Yea I was in Books-a-Million earlier today and saw a "338 rifle roundup" in on of the "Tactical" magazines and saw that rifle in there, had alittle info on it but no more than that link shows... looks really nice

Jake

I wonder what are the chances of it being available to the public? Probably nil.

Here you go. It shoots really nice. Easy to transport as well, if you are out hiking or looking for varmints.

t8ksis.jpg

I see an entrance wound on the shoulder and an exit wound near the hind leg... That is an awesome frontal shot with such a small profile presented!!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

That'd be how I tell the "story" while presenting the picture...

I set up on a nice rise and watched for movement with the 27. My spotter watched as well and then confirmed a small party of the bandits moving toward the cows. I picked the biggest one, guessing it was a mama. My spotter, using a Moskito, read me the range and so all I had to do was hold 1.5 mils above my target. Kind of cool not having to turn on the lights until the party's over...

Looks a little like they took some ideas off the T2k...which wouldnt necessarily be a bad thing. :)

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I probably do not need to point out the poor grouping on my targets.

14w9hdv.jpg
</div></div>

One in the ass is better than two in the grass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I set up on a nice rise and watched for movement with the 27. My spotter watched as well and then confirmed a small party of the bandits moving toward the cows. I picked the biggest one, guessing it was a mama. My spotter, using a Moskito, read me the range and so all I had to do was hold 1.5 mils above my target. Kind of cool not having to turn on the lights until the party's over... </div></div>
haha, I meant how did you get the MSR. But that is a nice hog, too. :p

It is about time Remington made a decent 338 Lapua action it looks like this rifle might be the one that actualy works. The 338's based on the rem 700's that came to Australia were all pieces of crap.

The only downside i see is the X Mark Pro trigger a decent trigger in 338 Lapua 10 shot mage the stock locks the bolt when folded so it should be legal in most countries and looks realy nice i cant see the need for this rifle in 300 Win mag or 308 but they have hedged their bets having 338 Lapua and 338 Norma i realy dont see the 338 Lapua being replaced by the 338 Norma because the case diameters are the same and the current calibre is already in service with multiple armies but they may get some LE` sales with the 338 Norma and also some private sales. It is interesting that they say 2500 rounds barrel life stated for all calibres that would be the minimuym expected i would think.

It will be great to see them out in the public and being used i think this is the best thing they have made for a long time and would love one of those stocks for a standard Rem 700.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild_Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is about time Remington made a decent 338 Lapua action it looks like this rifle might be the one that actualy works. The 338's based on the rem 700's that came to Australia were all pieces of crap.</div></div>

Were these the MLR's that you're referring to? What problems did you run into with these?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I set up on a nice rise and watched for movement with the 27. My spotter watched as well and then confirmed a small party of the bandits moving toward the cows. I picked the biggest one, guessing it was a mama. My spotter, using a Moskito, read me the range and so all I had to do was hold 1.5 mils above my target. Kind of cool not having to turn on the lights until the party's over... </div></div>

Ok, now that you opened this can of worms, what are the prices of all those goodies? Rifle, Night Vision and the Moskito that you refered to?

And what "Gunstore" (arms room?) did you buy/borrow/rent/sign-that-out from?

Got a call back today from Remington Rep. Said that these will be released late late this year early 2010. To check back with them then.

So my next question is how or who knows a big dealer that can get in on these early???? Anyone??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Super Trucker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am also interested in the cost, and if a avarage person would be able to get one? </div></div>

The chassis alone retails for 1400. I dont know how much the gun will be but I could see 2500-3000 pretty easy. Just my guess

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mopseydocks6014</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the advantage of the wavy front end to the rail? </div></div>

Just extra room for night vision, sights, lasers etc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AMMOWASTER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Super Trucker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am also interested in the cost, and if a avarage person would be able to get one? </div></div>

The chassis alone retails for 1400. I dont know how much the gun will be but I could see 2500-3000 pretty easy. Just my guess

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mopseydocks6014</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the advantage of the wavy front end to the rail? </div></div>

Just extra room for night vision, sights, lasers etc

</div></div>

Where did you see the pricing for the chassis? I know the Tac Mod chassis is about 1400 bucks.

I saw this model rifle at a show last week. The best part about it is that it's a user serviceable, switch barrel/bolt head design. It's a whole new receiver. The barrel is mounted in a barrel extension, just like the M-16/M-4 family of rifles. The bolt head can be removed and replaced with the proper diameter head for different cartridges. Really cool stuff. So you can have a .308, .300 and .338 all with one rifle and a couple barrels and bolt heads. They are trying to sell it to the military and the reps told me they were unsure if it would trickle down into the general public. I hope they do and I hope it will.

Mine worked just fine. Well under MOA out of the box with the factory Lapua Scenar ammo, and a bit better with the handloads.
Could never quite get it down to the magic 0.5 MOA though.

I did hear of some problems with the mag system, maybe that's what Bill is saying? More likely that, since Bill builds rifles, he has higher standards than me.
I'm happy with it if it works...
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Where did you see the pricing for the chassis? I know the Tac Mod chassis is about 1400 bucks. </div></div>

I had thought I read somewhere that they were using a modified tac mod chasis

I put my MLR right into an AICS so I never tried the HS Precision stock and mag system. There were stories about some bad barrels and weird erosion in the bores. My rifle developed a rough scaling erosion in one of the bottom lands just foward of the throat.

IMG_1492e.jpg

It's a bad picture,but it looks like a small piece of the bore pitted right out in the groove.
The last time out the rifle averaged .837" for 4 five shot groups at 100yds. I would be interested in knowing what issues Will Bill encountered with the MLR's that were shipped to Australia.

That thing is beautiful. I gotta wonder if Remington didn't get with Robbie (TacMod) and then put the big green funding and R&D into a next-gen TacMod.

I talked to a fella at Remington, too, and he said that it did appear that it would be released to the GP, but that it would not be sooner than sometime in 2010. No info on pricing.

Wonder where I could send my TacMod to be anodized tan?!
smile.gif

Well it took about two years for the MLR to reach the public from the time it was introduced in the 2006 LE catalog. Hopefully the MSR won't be a ghost for so long. As for pricing,I'll take a wild guess and say it'll be right up there with the AIAW.

Ranger, never saw this in order to get back to you.

The Moskito link was already provided. There is an old snipe that works there.

The rifle is from Remington.. There is an old snipe that works there.

The AN/PVS-27 is the NV used by USMC snipes since Feb 2007. It can be found at the OSTI Web site. I used these products while on vacation with a private company.

Individually, or combined, they may have competitors but I found them hard to beat. The Vectronix optic allowed me scout after dark and range several targets that I killed. It was harder to specify longer targets in terms of ranging accuracy, but I was quite certain on the pickup truck I beamed at 4900 and the barn at 5700. The tech rep says 10km. The rifle was easily manipulated to my comfort and the recoil without mitigation other than a brake was noticeably user friendly. Very nice to shoot and the modularity may have more shooters running a nice gambit of calibers with one system they can be very comfortable with. The shot placement on mamahog was my own misjudgement on a moving female although both shots were audibly hits one back and one forward. I also spent the daytime firing on steel but am less inclined to take pictures of metal or paper because they never seem to want to fall over. I am not a great competitor and have never claimed to be. I can tell you that I quickly tightened my groups at 500, 660, 900 and then I could consistently make center head shots at 1207 meters. Suffice it to say that I liked the rifle. In my mind and experience, I cannot adequately discuss the weight because the longest I carrried it was about a kilometer. That is childs play to a professional. I would prefer to carry it for a full day of movement before discussing weight. The AN/PVS-27, or MUNS, has no inline competitor that I have seen.

It is not a Leupold but does look similar. It is a Premier Reticles 5-25x56mm Tactical Illuminated Reticle. Notice the knob toward the rear at about the 10 oclock position for intensity level adjustment. It ain't cheap MSRP 2899.00

It is not a Leupold but does look similar. It is a Premier Reticles 5-25x56mm Tactical Illuminated Reticle. Notice the knob toward the rear at about the 10 oclock position for intensity level adjustment. It ain't cheap MSRP 2899.00

ncdiver: It's not a PR 5-25...they do not have a separate rheostats like those found on S&B's and Leupolds. The optic pictured in most of the MSR advertisements is in fact a Leupold prototype from what I understand.

They are going to bring one into work tomorrow so we can check it out. I hope we get a range day set up some day soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Emilio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are going to bring one into work tomorrow so we can check it out. I hope we get a range day set up some day soon. </div></div>

Anything to report?