• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Remington quality

big_r101

Private
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2010
colorado
I wa interested in a couple of there new rifles (and shotguns), but was concered about there quality (im a savage fan) but i am open to them, i have heard that there quality has gone down in recent years, just want to know common issues so i can address them and find the proper fixes.

Remington is not perfect by any means. They are on par with Savage in regard to quality.

Last edited:
So if i were to buy one what would i have to do to it so its better if you will, im interested in a couple of there hunting rifles.

With mass produced production firearms, there will always be units out of spec, and there will always be units that get past QC. Has Remington quality gone down in the past 40 years, probably... I have no problem buying a savage or a remington.

I dont mean to start a "Ford vs. Chevy" type of page, i was just curious, i have heard since they were bought by the freedom group its gone down hill, which worries me as i would like to buy a few marlins (few is a flexible term), i love lever guns and old western type firearms, but wouldba .308 rem bolt for hunting be anything to worry about in terms of reliability?

I have a few Remington's, it just seems that the quality control is set on "good enough". My current models can shoot, but it took a little bit to get them where I wanted.

Best bet is to get over to Cabelas or other box store and see for yourself. Cycle the bolt, drop the floor plate. Feel the trigger and look at the details. As for a out of the box accurate hunting rifle, the Tikka T3 is a darn nice rifle. Smooth bolt, Sako barrel, crisp trigger and not too expensive.

However, my last purchase was a Winchester model 70 Featherweight, that is one nice rifle. Control Round Feed, steel floorplate, feeds and extracts without issue. It is a fine looking and shooting rifle, It will definitely be one I pass down to my kids.

Edit: My 700 BDL from the early 90's is and has always been excellent, smooth bolt and great craftsmanship. Just wish they still made them like that.

My biggest complaint of the current production is the generous headspace. Both of my current M700 308's will close on a no-go guage.

Last edited:
I've owned a few Remington 700's and have to say that some of them have been a bit rough around the edges, you just have to pick the best out of the lot when purchasing one. That said, I've never had an issue with accuracy. They have all been under an MOA and they have all been tough and reliable.

So if i bought one what should i look into aftermarket wise? I have no problem doing some mods or whatever i would just like to know beforehand so that when i do buy one i know what to do afterwards.

Get a Savage model 10 PC in 308 and call it a day. If you decide later on you dont like a 308, buy a 7mm-08, 260 rem, or a 243 barrel and switch it out in 10-15 minutes. No brainer.

I have 2 savages already (gonna buy more someday), but i do like some of the rem models and wouldnt mind adding some to my collection.

The last Remington I bought was in 1999, a .243 VLS. Other than the 10 lb factory trigger, it is a quality piece. Not sure I'd buy a new one today. Savage on the other hand, I would need to inspect with a magnifying glass before I would agree to accept it. The one and only Savage I bought last year had a hairline crack in the stock and looked like it was finished with a Dremel tool. Luckily, my dealer took it back no questions asked after I pointed out the defects. Remington and Savage would be at the bottom of my list for a factory rifle. I'd look at Tikka as I've yet to see a sub-par one out of the box.

I have 2 savages already (gonna buy more someday), but i do like some of the rem models and wouldnt mind adding some to my collection.

I have some older 700s (20+ years) that are better put together from the factory. A few years ago I made a great deal for four 700s; 3 AAC-SDs (308 20", 308 16.5", 3000BO) and an SPS Tac in 223. Only one didn't shoot (the 20" 308) and I had it trued and a Bartlein put on it by SAC. I have modified the others in a variety of ways, but all of them got:

1. Timney trigger
2. New bolt knob
3. A good stock

I think this puts you at a good starting point and is the minimum I would consider. Except for the SAC rifle they have been fairly inexpensive and fun projects, all of them very different in the end. But after this I have bought nothing but custom Stillers. I hope this helps.

The bolt knobs were always something ive never liked on the remingtons, are the wood stocks better than the synthetics?

My main gripe about today's new 700's is they all seem to have a really long throat. With a 175smk, my AAC needed 2.940 to touch the lands, and my 5r needed 2.955" to touch the lands. Granted the smk will jump very well loaded at shorter lengths, i was just using that as a reference. Quality between Rem and Savage seems to be equal. The remington has more aftermarket/build support, but the Savages seem to shoot better straight out of the box.