• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington R-25 Trigger replacement

JohnK

Private
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2019
Looking to replace my trigger on a R-25 .308 the stock one is terrible. Going to use for hog hunting with a thermal on top. Any trigger suggestions or where I could possibly find a used one?

My favorite is the Geissele SD-E. You will get a lot of opinions. Triggers are like women. It’s comes down to the one YOU want to finger...

Reactions: bigjake83
I’ve never used a 2 stage trigger. I’m not a huge AR guy, this rifle has sat in my safe for 7 years now and never been touched. Would I be better off getting the single stage if that’s what I’m used to or do you see a benefit to using a 2-stage for hunting at night?

My dad is not a gun guy, and he certainly is not an AR guy. But, he does have an AR that was built for hunting. He shoots a 40+ year old factory stock rem 700 with less than 500 rounds (way less id wager) through it. I brought him a few triggers to try out. A boro-nitrided mil spec, Rock River National match, Geissele G2S, SSA-E, and SD-E. I didn’t tell him which was which and certainly didn’t tell him what they cost. (I didn’t want to bias the outcome.) We just went back and forth with uppers until he decided on his preference. It didn’t take much back and forth. The SSA-E was head and shoulders above the others. The straight blade of the SD-E was a bit too foreign... Take that for what it is worth.

By design, a 2 stage trigger has more seat engagement- and thus more safety factor- than a single stage trigger. The trigger on a M1 garand, for example, is a 2 stage trigger. The Geissele triggers are built for combat, full power springs with reduced pull weight.

Great precision triggers. Are they worth $240? That’s a question you have to answer. In a vacuum of other data, lower priced triggers feel quite nice. (I thought the rock river was pretty damned sweet, until I pulled it next to my SD-E). Lots of people rave about the Larue at $80, so it must be pretty good. And, if it is your only AR, you’ll never know the difference anyway, so what the hell...

You really have to step up to the Geissele High-Speed National Match to get a lighter final pull weight compared to the LaRue MBT-2S.

The LaRue MBT-2S made the SSA and SSA-E obsolete for me personally, and I’m not shooting a discipline where I need such a tiny trigger weight on the final stage.

For hunting, the 2-stage makes a lot of sense. I personally like single stage for close quarters and action-shooting guns to reduce split times and TGT-to-TGT transitions. Especially with gloves on, light single stage triggers might be a liability in a hunter.

#JustAsGoodArmy

It’s not just the pull weight, it is also the crispness of the break. The MBT-2s is a 2.5/2lb trigger, while the ssa-e is 2/1.5, so there is a measurable difference in pull weight. But beyond that is how crisp the trigger actually breaks, and that is more subjective. I don’t own a Larue, so I can’t comment. But, side by side, the rock river feels different than the G2S, which feels different than the ssa-e, and while the only difference between the ssa-e and the sd-e is the trigger shape, these triggers feel distinct from each other. While the differences are small, they are apparent to a novice and the more expensive triggers are “better” both in objective numbers and in subjective feel.

Can you feel a 1lb difference in trigger pull weight? You can bet you ass. Can you feel the difference between a carrot and a candy cane break, Yuup!!

If you are coming out of a stock mil spec trigger, and you’re never going to shoot another, you’ll likely be happy with any of the aftermarket options.
Timney
Trigger tech
Cmc
Elftmann
Larue
Rock River
AR Gold
Geissele
And likely a dozen others...

They all have their acolytes. I think Geissele is over priced, but it IS the price of admission.

This AR Stoner Two Stage appears identical to the PSA 2 stage that I mounted in seven of my AR's. I just plain flat out like it. Check delivery date if you need it faster.

Greg

Last edited:
This AR Stoner Two Stage appears identical to the PSA 2 stage that I mounted in seven of my AR's. I just plain flat out like it. Check delivery date if you need it faster.

Greg
Schmid Tools makes a lot of rebranded triggers ( as well as a BUNCH of other rebranded parts. ) for quite a few manufacturers. ( PSA, Ruger, Centurion, many more. )

That linked trigger is quite good for its price.

For me, a huge benefit of a 2 stage trigger is how easily I can back out of a shot, should I decide not to fire.

Larue looks to be on back order. I’m tempted to try the AR Stoner.

Years ago I had a R25. Replaced the trigger with an AR Gold. IMO it was a perfect trigger for hunting. Crisp is an understatement. That was before I tried Geissele. These days, I run the 3Gun on just about everything.