• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington R25

Gildoom

Alex Rogan Starshipgunner
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2009
Lake Havasu City, AZ
I sold my boat anchor Desert Eagle 44 mag, my wife commented how she liked the R25, its in .308 so sure, what the heck. I ordered a Eotech 512 in Mossy Oak as well, pretty close but not identical, looks pretty neat.

I took the rifle home and did the "why the hell do they put that oil in there" cleaning. Upon a hurry up job, I did not take the actual bolt/piston system out, I just cleaned around it. Bore scoped with ye ole eye method and we left the next morning after dropping the kids off for school.

We started shooting at 100 yards, which was amazingly fun, UMC 150 gr fed fantastic, I had some extra Hornady 150gr SST, that I used to use in my bolts. Boy, it hated that ammo, big time. Went to Black Hills 168 (my bolt gun ammo) and it was back to chugging like an AK.

When I got home, even being 118 degrees I had to clean it and see, well, that bolt group inside looked like it was douched with axle grease. Lesson learned.

The rifle is very accurate, the butt stock needs some trimming, the edges are quite sharp and my shoulder (as well as the wife which she was not happy about) have marks to prove it.

I would most definitely use this weapon hunting, its light, that eotech is pretty damn cool, and for quick targets it would be fantastic. Like rabbits, coyotes and such. I shot at stuff at 200 yards, was close enough to hit a kill zone easy.

The 512 does not have NV capability, but guess what? I don't need NV capability. With that said, the reticle is NOT what I was expecting, it is neat but weird at the same time, I think it will just take some getting used to. I thought it was going to be like the sight on my wife's PS 90, and it is a series of LEDs if you will making the reticle.

Thanks to this purchase though, I really would like a DPMS build to start, going to try to talk the wife into that for Christmas... Wish me luck.

2010-08-19170702.jpg

Re: Remington R25

Again, much of your displeasure regarding the buttpad could be remedied by adding a Limbsaver slip-on. In my experience, most factory stocks tend to be generic and a tad short in the LOP for full sized folks like myself. The Limbsaver addresses issues of shape and length, and can improve the recoil pulse as well.

Greg

Thanks Greg, trying to figure out which size, any suggestions?

Rolling with med slip on, and camo! Thanks again, this is going to help a ton. Perhaps put a muzzle break on it too, that sure tamed my howa 300 wsm, it weighs almost nothing and used to kick like jackie chan into my shoulder.

gotcha - my bad....you could hit the buttpad lightly with a sanding block - I did mine with some oil and a block and it looks & feels great...

No problem!

I was going to take the edges off like you are saying. I think I will get the limbsaver as well, I went and got my old A4 buttstock from my first AR purchase a few years ago to compare. The one on the R25 is just horrid, its actually sharp.

This is our first 308 in AR, it is so much nicer to clean, like folks say. You can actually get a brush into places to clean!

I just got back from the range with my R-25. I didn't know for sure how it would do as a distance gun. From the results I got I feel confident that it will do well. The range only goes to 200 yds but at 100 I had 4 shots touching and 2 within a half inch of those. Really!! I'm pretty excited about it. I did'nt put a target at the 200 but I shot 3 times at one that wasn't being used and they were all within an inch. I have the 100 yd target and I'm trying to get a picture up. I didn't get the 200 yarder cause I didn't know who it belonged too.

Right on NNTX!

I have a Premier scope coming, I am going to try it on this thing and shoot it at 1000 yards a few times. I am convinced it could do it just fine.

Thanks Greg, that limbsaver was a GREAT idea, it took damn near all the recoil out of the rifle, its pleasant to shoot now.

Thanks again.