• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

rduckwor

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2011
AL, USA
Check yours carefully. There have been Q/C issues reported.

Attachments

• R51.jpg
    R51.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 8
WTF!

it took me a second to see what you were talking about.

is this one you bought or one you saw?

I know there's been one YouTube review that pointed out some fit and finish issues with this particular model. That guy had one that didn't engage the slide lock on an empty magazine, had a rear sight that slid around the dovetail, and had a slide that was very difficult to pull back. That being said, I took it as a sample of one so when I was at the gun store yesterday I took a peek at one they had under the glass. Needless to say I had flashbacks of that video because issues with the pistol were soon very apparent and similar to the video. The slide locked to the rear on an empty magazine but the slide was very difficult to pull back and magazines didn't drop free. After about a minute of finger fucking it I gave it back and said thank you now show me the M&P Shield please. Initially I was very interested in this pistol but given the issues with this pistol and the ones YouTube guy had I'm not confident that it would get any better so I'm looking at other options. For the most part I like Remington products but it appears they screwed the pooch on this one and it will more than likely fan the flames of the Remington hate but it might be deserved in this instance. I hope Remington can pull their head out of their fourth point of contact and get the issues under control. It's been rumored that Remington fired the guy responsible for the R51 but again that's gun shop rumor so take it for what's worth.

i was very interested in the R51 a few months back, but it is the same size as my XDs. if i remember correctly, it was rumored to be smaller. i have also been bitten by the beta tester bug with the sig 938 and the XDs. the XDs both 45 and 9 calibers. my 45 XDs had some issues, but my 9 has been flawless. then the recall situation.

i would still like to finger fuck the R51, but i will wait for a year or 2 before i seriously consider it.

Th4 assembler just thought it was aestethically (sp) more pleasing if the contour of the front and rear sites matched. Genious!

I can't imagine the R51 will be around very long. It's a horribly ugly pistol JMHO, and I don't really see where it fits in the market. I guess it's supposed to compete against the MP shield, PM9 etc. I couldn't imagine someone wanting an R51 over anything currently available. Once Glock gets their head out of their ass and makes the single stack 9mm we'll have a lot of very nice options for someone wanting a slim 9mm carry gun.

I actually saw some things about it that I liked. The low bore axis and the recoil absorbing action to name two. If/when it works right, it should exhibit minimal muzzle-flip, and allow fast follow-up shots. The long take-up single action trigger also sounds interesting. Ambi mag release and no manual safety add to the package. Still, with all the negative feed-back. I'm taking a wait and see attitude. Hopefully, the bugs will be worked out quickly.

HRF

Handled one recently at a LGS..the slide was so tough to retract I checked like three times if there was some sort of slide LOCK!

That one also had the "easily adjusted for windage" rear sight option. I doubt the sight would last in the dovetail for a mag full of rds.

QC is apparently non existent these days at Remington.

I was kinda/sorta interested in it - with the price point. However, there are SO, SO many threads on all the gun forums... Of all the issues going on. I've read enough to know I want no part of that gun. At least not for a year or so for them to work all this out.