• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington repaired my rifle..ups destroyed it. :(

shanker

Private
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2011
Portland, TX
There was a thread I started a while back about getting a new bolt for my rifle..

this rifle is a Remington 700 BDL Bull Barrel .243 rifle my grandfather bought new and has been handed down. I lost the bolt during a move half way across texas and with a 20 month old and a wife showing interest in shooting, I figured out of all the rifles, thats the one that would be best of the wife and kiddo to use....

Remington fixed it for a WHOLE lot less than quoted.

the UPS broke it again
frown.gif

I didnt get a chance to call Remington today as I was really busy at work...but I'll give em a call and see whats up.

Luckily I got a good deal on a nice factory Remington takeoff on Ebay for the rifle........the kiddo wouldnt get out of the way for a picture though...

Re: Remington repaired my rifle..ups destroyed it. :(

Ouch! I feel for you. That wood stock can be repaired but you shouldn't have to deal with that. File a claim immediately with UPS.

I guess they don't call em United Package Smashers for no reason. Hopefully Rem will cover it, they shipped it...

Agreed, file a claim and get the stock fixed, especially since it's been in the family.

That sucks. I know someone who had the same thing happen and when UPS settled the claim they paid full replacement value (only damage was broken stock). When he asked if he should send them the broken stock and barreled action, they said "what would we want that for?"

WIN

UPS tried to break my Rem700 too! Half of my rifle was poking out of the box... not sure how that happened. Maybe they are drop-kicking our stuff to its destination?

Dang, that'd be enough to make a guy go off the deep end. I'd like to see exactly how you have to treat a rifle to get the stock to snap there. I'd be willing to bet some of them could be grasped by the barrel and swung at the ground with busting them clear off. That's aweful, especially to a rifle that's been in your family.

Sorry that happened...especially to a family heirloom. Out of curiosity, what kind of packaging was it shipped back to you in? Was it in that foam-lined case?

How was it package?

I plan on shipping a rifle for repair soon and am wondering how to pack it.

If it was insured UPS will pay. I have filed claims with them in the past and they have paid with no problem. Good luck!

I always either pack in a quality gun case and boxed over the case, or double boxed with several extra layers of cardboard on the muzzle end. The entire rifle is bubble wrapped with a hunk of cardboard over the muzzle. I have not had any issues this way. The airlines are a whole nother story.

Ouch, I'd also like to see the box, maybe it'd give some clue as to how it happened.

Thankfully UPS hasn't ruined anything of mine yet. I did have an AK that had it's charging handle wear through two boxes and the rubber cover that is supposed to protect it incase something like that happens.

It had to be underneath something heavy for a while in the back of a truck for it to happen.

Thankfully, that's the only thing they've damaged.

UPS is probably going to fight this kicking and screaming. They are going to investigate with Remington first to see how they packed the rifle or how inadequate it (the packaging) was and throw the responsibility ball their way. Trust me, through experience, they just don't pay out because you filed a claim. Also note that they usually want you to inspect the package before the UPS delivery guy leaves in the event that there are damages.

First off, that really sucks and I really hope everything works out to your satisfaction.

That said, in response to the UPS naysaying:

These instances are exceptionally rare when you consider the statistics. Consider that UPS will haul your 20lb package across the country in 4 days for you or less than $20. Honestly, they're track record is incredible, all things considered.

Also, Remington is largely responsible. UPS states a package must be able to drop (I believe) 3ft and be ok. It amazes me most things I receive are ok when I see how they were packaged. The packaging I've seen rifles arrive in is generally piss-poor.

If you buy a rifle from me, it's coming in a padded soft case with hard muzzle protector, wrapped in bubble wrap, suspended inside a handmade triangular box made from a super-duty old refridgerator box that Lowes gives me. The triangular box is very easy to make, doesn't "parallelogram" like a rectangular box does, and the triangle apexes are very impact resistant.

wow that sucks. the rifles in my family have been handed down for a long time. some of the only things i have left from my grandfather. I would be beyond pissed if that happened to me.

As for how UPS/Fedex/etc treats packages I remember seeing just a few weeks ago video footage on the news of customers recording the deliveries to their house from them before christmas. Showed them throwing boxes from the vehicles to yards and into doors and everything in between. even one guys kicking it to the porch and flipping off the camera before he drove away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SigTauJohn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow that sucks. the rifles in my family have been handed down for a long time. some of the only things i have left from my grandfather. I would be beyond pissed if that happened to me.

As for how UPS/Fedex/etc treats packages I remember seeing just a few weeks ago video footage on the news of customers recording the deliveries to their house from them before christmas. Showed them throwing boxes from the vehicles to yards and into doors and everything in between. even one guys kicking it to the porch and flipping off the camera before he drove away. </div></div>

Saw that too. IMO, a lot of the damage these things receive during shipping are purposeful.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shanker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There was a thread I started a while back about getting a new bolt for my rifle..

this rifle is a Remington 700 BDL Bull Barrel .243 rifle my grandfather bought new and has been handed down. I lost the bolt during a move half way across texas and with a 20 month old and a wife showing interest in shooting, I figured out of all the rifles, thats the one that would be best of the wife and kiddo to use....

Remington fixed it for a WHOLE lot less than quoted.

the UPS broke it again
frown.gif

I didnt get a chance to call Remington today as I was really busy at work...but I'll give em a call and see whats up.

Luckily I got a good deal on a nice factory Remington takeoff on Ebay for the rifle........the kiddo wouldnt get out of the way for a picture though...

</div></div>

Sorry for you loss. Family things like that are priceless.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you buy a rifle from me, it's coming in a padded soft case with hard muzzle protector, wrapped in bubble wrap, suspended inside a handmade triangular box made from a super-duty old refridgerator box that Lowes gives me. The triangular box is very easy to make, doesn't "parallelogram" like a rectangular box does, and the triangle apexes are very impact resistant. </div></div>

I like the triangular box idea. Speaking of Lowes, I've shipped rifles using concrete form tubes. I close the ends of using old baking tins. Very rugged, but a little heavy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Consider that UPS will haul your 20lb package across the country in 4 days for you or less than $20.</div></div>

It takes 6 to 9 days for me to get something from the north east.
I hate UPS, customer service absolutely sucks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I hate UPS, customer service absolutely sucks. </div></div>

Well, next time you want something from the North East, you can choose to just take the time off work and drive up there to go fetch it yourself. That oughtta be cheaper, more convenient and hassle-free than dealing with UPS.

I don't know what it is about UPS, but that company has a track record of this in my experience far worse than any of the other carriers. I was almost a victim of them with my rifle too. I had wanted a long rifle since I was 11. When I was 30, I had squirreled enough away to afford my Remington 700 PSS. I got it from a very reputable dealer who I've known for a while, and he shipped it UPS, ensured to my local FFL. Well, it made it about halfway, and according to the tracking data hadnt moved in 2 days which was unusual since I paid for expedited shipping.

Called UPS customer service, spoke to head of UPS security who did an investigation. They found it, off a truck, stashed, waiting to be taken home by somebody. It was relabeled and had been hidden so someone could try to sneak it out later.

Yeah.... I dont ship ANYTHING important or expensive UPS anymore. If a vendor doesnt show anything else available I make it a point to call and very politely ask if they will use FedEx or USPS instead.

This was after UPS also dropped off a set of $2000 carbon fiber bicycle wheels for my race bike that they had destroyed with a fork truck. Package was marked fragile, insured thank God, and was signature required. I came home from work the day they were delivered to find them dumped on my doorstep in that condition (destroyed).

UPS is horrible. Might just be my local people, might not. Dont care. Sick of dealing with this crap so i just dont use them anymore.

I sincerely hope there is a way remington can fix your stock. That is a very beautiful wood stock. I noticed when comparing my newer 870 wingmaster to my dad's much older one that his woodwork is of much higher quality with the engraving and checkering. I hope remington can fix the original stock that UPS busted as I'm sure its much nicer than any of the newer stocks they put out these days, and thats on top of the sentimental value.

Paulus

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Well, next time you want something from the North East, you can choose to just take the time off work and drive up there to go fetch it yourself. That oughtta be cheaper, more convenient and hassle-free than dealing with UPS. </div></div>

My, testy aren't you?
Maybe you work for big brown?
More accurately, Big Brown Hole.
Because I disputed your assertion that I can recieve anything in the lower 48 in 4 days?
Hell, I can't get shit from Missouri through UPS in four days.

Looks like it fell off the conveyor. Sorry to see that.

Now imagine a mint 1957 Gibson Les Paul worth about $50K and that same break in the wood except its the neck of the guitar. I've seen it happen more than once, and the falling from the conveyor system in the warehouse will snap it every time no matter how well it's padded.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mavrick10_2000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like it fell off the conveyor. Sorry to see that.

Now imagine a mint 1957 Gibson Les Paul worth about $50K and that same break in the wood except its the neck of the guitar. I've seen it happen more than once, and the falling from the conveyor system in the warehouse will snap it every time no matter how well it's padded.</div></div>
Damn! I would hand deliver something like that.

If it would take a truck driving over it to break it,
UPS will see this as a double-dog-dare and go find a truck.

I am sorry to see a beautiful old wood stock like yours snapped in two because of careless handling.

Sorry about the rifle. But by looking at the picture, the little guy is trying to tell you, "This one is mine Dad"!

sorry to hear about your rifle,take that kid shooting

here in odessa i have had those guys along with usps deliver my pakages 5 0r 6 houses down thank god i have good neighbors

It was actually shipped inside of that hard case. Remington is doing everything that they can. I'll post more pics when I get my home computer turned backon. Typing on an iPhone sucks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Well, next time you want something from the North East, you can choose to just take the time off work and drive up there to go fetch it yourself. That oughtta be cheaper, more convenient and hassle-free than dealing with UPS. </div></div>

My, testy aren't you?
Maybe you work for big brown?
More accurately, Big Brown Hole.
Because I disputed your assertion that I can recieve anything in the lower 48 in 4 days?
Hell, I can't get shit from Missouri through UPS in four days.
</div></div>

I don't work for UPS, but honestly, the service amazes me. What would you charge to deliver a 20lb package to a destination 2000 miles away ? The logistics required to deliver a service like theirs is incredible. And, although they certainly screw the pooch on occasion, bottom line is all goes well 99.5% of the time. I freakin WISH I could claim a success rate like that in all the things I do. Handling hundreds of thousands of packages a day, hundreds of thousands of destinations, thousands of drivers and routes and schedules...incredible!

Just to report back....Remington is making good on the stock by replacing it.

The one they're replacing it with is on backorder, so I dont know how long it'll be.

My theory is that when they used their banding machine to band the plastic case closed, they make it too tight and split the stock. I'm starting to think that UPS did NOT destroy this stock....it was the shipping guys at Remington.

Will it be a CDL stock?

That is a common break.....even in a hard case.......the case is dropped on the end towards the butt of the stock and the weight of the rifle snaps the stock.......I have seen lots of photos that looked just like yours.......most were from people who were flying with their rifles.

It really does no tmatter how you pack it. If one of their anti-gun employees realized or suspected it was a firearm, they probably did that on purpose.

I refuse to use them for anything important anymore. They took a case of ammo and literally kicked, stomped and threw it into walls until it was destroyed, tossed a hazmat form in the remains and returned it to me. It was ground shipped and that was not required. The UPS hoochie was vulgar to deal with to pick it up, totally offended her she had to touch ammunition.

FEDEX has the second most uninformed and useless employees going, thus I use them.