• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

remington, sako, or tikka?

fhace126

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2009
considering these three rifles all in .308
remington 700 sps
tikka t3 lite
sako a7

i want to know whats the best for the money out of the box and whats the best for not just out of box but which one has the best potential accuracy and what i would have to do to attain that potential accuracy. and also if anyone has anything besides accuracy just anything they like or dislike about these rifles please feel free to post it. thanks

Re: remington, sako, or tikka?

I would get the Remington, short action, reliabole, lots of aftermarket parts, but that stock is not the best. I would not chose the sako becouse the lack of aftermarket parts( as far as i know). The tikka is long action and that does not make the 308 optimal.

Dont forget older tikka and the sako 85.

If you want a gun that you will never modify get the Sako A7. Its not really comparable to the older style sakos however it is still a good rifle regardless of it being the base model.

If you want to eventually explore the fullest potential of your rifle, get the Remington as it can be changed from your standard SPS to something that barely resembles its former glory, yet exceeds your original needs.

I think investing in a rifle that has potential for future upgrades is a good move, especially if your not sure where you want to take things in the future

Tikka all the way.
Smooth actions and easy to adjust triggers, plus the accuracy is top notch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Six Five Guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tikka all the way.
Smooth actions and easy to adjust triggers, plus the accuracy is top notch. </div></div>

Out of the box, I'd give the edge to the T3 Lite. Although it has plastic mags and bottom, the 60 degree, silky smooth bolt and *consistent* accuracy will seduce you. The Remington's are better than they used to be in the accuracy dept., but I don't think that they've yet to achieve the consistency of Tikka. Yes, I've owned and shot extensively, both.

Couple that with the fact that the Tikka action is much stiffer and consistently truer, and many companies are now making aftermarket parts (including 2 that are going to provide DBM soon), and you have a platform for the future as well.

John

I have a reminton 700, tikka t3, and a sako trg, they are all great rifles but the sako trg is by far the best. If you have the cash get the Sako TRG 22.

Out of those three I would go tikka, sako the remington. The only reason I say tikka over the sako is the price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chewbacca</div><div class="ubbcode-body">considering these three rifles all in .308
remington 700 sps
tikka t3 lite
sako a7

i want to know whats the best for the money out of the box and whats the best for not just out of box but which one has the best potential accuracy and what i would have to do to attain that potential accuracy. and also if anyone has anything besides accuracy just anything they like or dislike about these rifles please feel free to post it. thanks </div></div>

<span style="font-size: 26pt">TIKKA</span>

Tikka . . . The trigger is great, accuracy great, nice balance. I don't like the stocks, but not a deal breaker. I own 4, family and friends have em. They all shoot. For the price. . .the performance is solid.

I have a Rem 700 SPS Tactical, and I'm fairly happy with it. However, if i should buy one today, it would definitely be a Tikka. Out of the box accuracy is in my opinion much better than with Rem. Sure you can get great accuracy with Rem too, but you usually need to tweak them a lot before you get results.

-R

If we are talking out-of-the-box accuracy, then my vote goes first to Sako and then to Tikka. If $$$ are tight, go with the Tikka and put the savings into better optics.

Remington? Stick with a Sendero if you want good off-the-shelf accuracy. If you think you will become a dedicated long ranger and you have some $$$ to spend, then go with a basic Rem 700 SPS. Plan on rebarreling the action and tossing the stock. Accuracy from an SPS is spotty at best. Where Remmington does shine is in the aftermarket department. More options and generally less expensive parts because there are so many Remmys out there.

Tikka if you don't plan to pimp it up a bit. Otherwise, Remy will have more reasonably priced aftermarket parts to pimp it till your heart is content.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tikka if you don't plan to pimp it up a bit. Otherwise, Remy will have more reasonably priced aftermarket parts to pimp it till your heart is content. </div></div>

What's not to pimp?

IMG_6803-2.jpg

IMG_6806-2.jpg

The only real difference between a Tikka and a Remington 700 today (from a "pimping" standpoint)is that there is no available DBM for the Tikka, however at least 2 different companies have them in the works.

Pimp away.

John

Lets try and keep the Tikka's a little bit of a secret!! We don't want all of the bragging to go to Tikka's head and jack up their prices.

Have a Tikka T3 Tactical and have had a 595 both in 308. Out of the box with factory ammo both do tight cloverleafs at 100yds. The A7 has a great claim to accuracy but they havent had enough time in the field to back that up yet. And the Remmy is a maybe at best. Lots of potential and lots of aftermarket parts etc, but its like a 1911 for me. Why spend $600 on a weapon and then have to spend another $600+ to make the damned thing reliable and shoot good.

There seems to be a lot of love for the Tikkas going around...

good stuff

I dont think you can go wrong with any of these rifles really

I love the milk jug plastic on the tikka's stock's, trigger guards and magazines....it's a nice touch.

Taking money into the mix I would need to separate these three-

a. If it will remain stock- then the sako a7

b. want to modify but bring cash in a box then remington

c. want to modify and cash just needs to fit in the suv then tikka is the king.

personally I would go A7, reload ammo that it likes and enjoy- Down the road, if you want a project, go for something different.

I am also partial to sako :)

There are also different specific models/options that also make this a tougher decision for you. good luck

I love my Tikka 595 .308. I keep it even though I mainly shoot my AIAW. It uses the same dovetail as the trg however it is drilled and tapped also for an EGW 2o moa base. To be honest. The 595 and the sako trg look like the same receiver.

I vote tikka.

I own a Tikka 595 sporter in .308 and a TRG 42 so im a bit biased towards the Finns, however I don't think anyone makes better gun for the money than the Tikka t3. The action itself is in many ways superior to the Remington, and with several companies offering aftermarket components, I would certainly recommend these rifles weather you want to modify it or not. If money is not a prohibiting factor I would say Sako as I truly believe they are some of the best factory rifles on earth.
Ben

ive never owned a tikka or a sako but have fired both, i own 2 remys and have to admit i love them . there not to everyones taste but i give them my vote

i say tikka...i own t3 tactical,and is very accurate (barrel is the SAME of trg)and results are evident
wink.gif