• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington SPS 300 Blackout – Worth Having?

jrhtx

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2006
Houston, TX
I have different rifles/calibers/builders. I have a 300 in an 8.5” and 16” AR. Thinking about a bolt gun for better accuracy. Would be used for hogs and deer probably subsonic.

Are these worth the money?
Thanks

My buddy has a 300BLK bolt gun...It's okay but, the glamour kind of ends there.

It is slightly more accurate than an AR but, IMO the 300BLK really has it's home in an AR.

Personally, I wouldn't buy one just because you already have the perfect platform for it but, ultimately, it's not my $$$$.

I don't see the point in a 300blk in a bolt gun. You would have more flexibility in getting a 308. You can load or buy reduced recoil loads for ladies/kids, shoot subsonics and you also have the option of loading full power rounds for long range and hunting.

I personally love mine. I couldn't pass up having a Remington 700 for just over $500. I only plan on using it for hunting probably less than 200yds, and some fun shooting in the back yard. I haven't had a chance to shoot it much but I wouldn't think it would be anywhere close to a precision rifle. I had a semi-auto 300blk and I couldn't get past the "twang" from the buffer spring when shooting it. Its crazy how much you notice when you have a can screwed on and don't hear much. Shooting the bolt 300blk, its very very close to dry firing minus the very small recoil you feel. Its really really quiet. As far as hunting, I only plan on using supersonic for hunting. Just don't think the subs have the knock down for hunting. Although I have been researching LeHigh Defense Subsonic ammo and it seems to get decent reviews for hunting with subs. If you have a can and money to burn they are a lot of fun, but most people stick to an ar platform when selecting the 300blk. If you don't have a can or don't plan on getting one, I wouldn't see the need for it.
Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure they still have a $40 rebate til the end of the year if you find a good deal on one.

Last edited:
Stick with the ar. My 16" Ar in blackout was slightly more accurate, higher capacity, and two pounds lighter. With the bolt gun running subs through my 30p1, it still was nowhere near "dry fire" quiet. Running about 1050 they were MUCH louder than I thought they'd be in a bolt gun. The all sound quiet on video, but that's a far cry from what they sound like when your behind it. Thus, I sold the damn thing. Get a 308 if you want a 16" bolt gun and have more options.

I have 2 gas guns and a remington 700 . the 700 is by far the quietest of all three plus not being hampered by magazine length I can load longer c.o.l and squeeze more velocity and accuracy out of it than I can my ar's . I shoot bullets from 95 grain xtp up to 220 grain out law state bullets . it just takes time to develop the right load . I love my 8.5 inch for hunting with subs at less than 100 yds and my carbine is an accurate and reliable gun but as of late the remington has been doing it all its worth every dime .

I'm w jw on this one, accuracy, reliably, and versatility w different load combos is by far superior in a bolt gun w the blackout. Just to get the ar to cycle reliably can be a bit of a headache, (look at the blackout forums). Bolt is best way to go w the black. The bolt will be quieter in every way. Accuracy is tough w the black and the ar platform will not make it any easier. Supersonic is different, the rem 700 is awsome at 100 yds supersonic, I have several 5 shot groups on 1 page if anyone wants to see! (I'm about to get it in the ass from the gas guys, I'm shur)

Last edited:
I would agree with lazer and jwb a little more accurate,definitely not as loud as Gas gun and can stretch out oal.

Started out a few years ago with a 8" AR SBR in 300BO with shooting strickly subs suppressed in mind. It worked out perfectly and is presently tore down for some Cerakoting. After that I had intentions of building a bolt rifle in the blackout but eventually found a M700 that was too good to pass up. I have been very happy with so far. I like the fact that it is twisted 1:7 as I love the 240 SMK and use it often. Even with the cheap Hogue stock that came with it, it still shot respectable groups.

This was then.......

Factory300Blackout_zps23eb6deb.jpg

NOV13_BlackOut_zps07034220.jpg

This is now........
IMG_6372_zps792a0745.jpg

Blackout240grSMK11point5grsofIMR4198_100yards_zps08927dfd.jpg

Get it. If I could I would get all the guns that I can. --- I love you guns --- :0)

Started out a few years ago with a 8" AR SBR in 300BO with shooting strickly subs suppressed in mind. It worked out perfectly and is presently tore down for some Cerakoting. After that I had intentions of building a bolt rifle in the blackout but eventually found a M700 that was too good to pass up. I have been very happy with so far. I like the fact that it is twisted 1:7 as I love the 240 SMK and use it often. Even with the cheap Hogue stock that came with it, it still shot respectable groups.
This was then.......

Factory300Blackout_zps23eb6deb.jpg

NOV13_BlackOut_zps07034220.jpg

This is now........
IMG_6372_zps792a0745.jpg

Blackout240grSMK11point5grsofIMR4198_100yards_zps08927dfd.jpg

El G2
Who's barrel and who did the work. Nice rifle. Were the groups after the rework?

Thanks for all the comments.
I like the SBR but will probably be looking for a 700 SPS.

Remington SPS 300 Blackout – Worth Having?

Yes get it----- because the money spent on a gun will have a better return then sticking it in the bank. AM I RIGHT ??? Lol

Last edited:
I just recently received rights to my 300 SBR and I keep thinking that a bolt gun shorty 300 would be sweet as hell.
I was going to go with a manners T4a and then watched the O'Neil Ops video with the T4 folder built by LRI. This forum is going to bleed me dry.
I have no need for a 300 bolt gun except this is my hobby. Shooting and experimenting with reloading. So I must submit to my desires and get one built. I recommend the same for everyone else.

I love my 700 in 300 Blackout. I also have an SBR with an 8.5" upper. The upper has been sitting in the safe for the last several months while I have been shooting the bolt gun. It is very accurate for the caliber. I have shot everything from 115's to 220's and lots in between. Have run 125's and 150's out to 750 yards on steel. The 150's do better out to distance. Just got a boat load of 147's to try too. I sold the hogue stock and upgraded to a B&C stock with BM and AI mag set up. Now I just need to but better glass on it. Currently have an SWFA fixed 10.

After seeing el gordo2's videos where he was hunting with his I had to get one. Came across a heck of a deal on a used one and have loved it. I say have one of each, gas gun and bolt. I guarantee you will enjoy shooting the bolt gunmore.

I just recently received rights to my 300 SBR and I keep thinking that a bolt gun shorty 300 would be sweet as hell.
I was going to go with a manners T4a and then watched the O'Neil Ops video with the T4 folder built by LRI. This forum is going to bleed me dry.
I have no need for a 300 bolt gun except this is my hobby. Shooting and experimenting with reloading. So I must submit to my desires and get one built. I recommend the same for everyone else.[/QUOT

Those damn O'neill Ops videos:). I too am hooked after watching their vid on the LRI 300 BO build.

I have no need for a 300 bolt gun except this is my hobby. Shooting and experimenting with reloading. So I must submit to my desires and get one built. I recommend the same for everyone else.[/QUOT

Those damn O'neill Ops videos:). I too am hooked after watching their vid on the LRI 300 BO build.

That's a sweet build in that video.

I would say unless you're going to SBR and suppress it, no. What is a 16" 300BLK bolt going to do that a 16" .308WIN won't?

I plan to run it at 16.5" and run an AAC 762-snd6 on it, but want the barrel long enough to take it from PA to NY.
We aren't debating 300 blk versus 308. The OP has 300 blk components like I do. I can't take an AR to NY either.
This is a fun little round nothing more. I'm new to suppressors and loading for subs is interesting. Eliminating the action noise further makes this round even more quiet.

I plan to run it at 16.5" and run an AAC 762-snd6 on it, but want the barrel long enough to take it from PA to NY.
We aren't debating 300 blk versus 308. The OP has 300 blk components like I do. I can't take an AR to NY either.
This is a fun little round nothing more. I'm new to suppressors and loading for subs is interesting. Eliminating the action noise further makes this round even more quiet.

He asked if it is worth the money so i injected my opinion and how my opinion came to fruition. In my opinion it is not simply because a .308WIN will do everything a 300BLK will do and more including subsonic loads.

Furthermore, should the OP decide he wanted to sell it in the future it will be a whole lot easier to sell a .308WIN than a 300BLK.

Both will be accurate out of a bolt so why buy a four banger when the V8 costs the same. The only savings there is with 300BLK over .308WIN is powder consumption but the minute cost savings in powder consumption comes at the cost of less versatility. A 16" .308WIN will shoot bullets up to 250gr's 1030fps, 175's 2400fps, and 110's way fast. Try that with a 300BLK.

I own a 8" 300BLK SBR AR15 and a 16".308WIN bolt. I would never trade my .308WIN bolt in for a 300BLK bolt. It would be like chopping my wiener in half. If the OP want's to spend some money on a bolt to shoot .30cal subs out of in my opinion he should buy a .308WIN.

Additionally, eliminating the cycling of the action will make a .308 as well as any other cartridge more quiet.

And one more point. Factory loaded 300BLK ammo costs the same as factory loaded .308WIN.

So, in my opinion it is not worth spending the money on a 300BLK bolt action rifle.

I would say unless you're going to SBR and suppress it, no. What is a 16" 300BLK bolt going to do that a 16" .308WIN won't?

Definitely at its best suppressed (what rifle isn't?). With the one in seven twist the blk will shoot much heavier bullets subsonic than the 308. I have one. My plan was to develop heavy, cast bullet load for subsonic plinking. Haven't mad much progress on that, but I carry it in my truck. I've shot a pig and a few varmints. Would be my choice for short range deer hunting. Without the suppressor it's awfully handy to get out of the back seat (don't want to leave it in the truck with the suppressor). 240 SMK's with red dot powder sure are fun and are very quiet. I have an ar blackout too. It gets used in the "war on pigs" with supers. I finding that I don't have much use for subsonic shooting in the AR. The damn action is so loud!

Last edited:
The 300BLK sub's through a bolt gun can use a lot of various pistol powders that the .308 subsonic cant(or IMO cant safely use). I know there are a few loads for some various pistol powders and .308 subs, but I am personally leery of using something with so little case fill. So that leaves you with basically TrailBoss and Tin Star for .308 subs, which, while getting easier to find, are still not that easy to find.

For supers, I would reach for my .308 all day and twice on Sunday, but for Subs, I think the 300BLK bolt is hard to beat. 150g FMJBT pulls with 4.3g of TiteGroup is subsonic. Thats a fun little round that doesnt cost anything to load.

I would also add that if somebody is already setup to reload 300BLK, but would have to get setup to load .308, buy powder, projectiles, LR primers, brass, etc... its a much cheaper endeavor to just get the 300BLK bolt. For the price of 1000 rounds worth of 308 components you could buy the 300BLK gun.

Another pro 300BLKOUT owner here. I went with the model 7 instead, but same difference.

I love it for subsonics and a suppressor. The smaller case is obviously designed for this, and in a bolt rifle I have so many more powder options as I'm not worried about cycling a semi-auto action. I ran various OCWs, and settled on 10.8g of H4198 with 200g loads @ 925fps. Why? Because it produced top accuracy. I'm just under 1 MOA at 100 meters. That is something I couldn't do with a 308WIN without resorting to case fillers and an extremely limited powder selection.

As for supers, I run a 125g load at 2200fps using 18g of Lil' Gun. I'm well under 1 MOA at 100 meters. And while this load is essentially a 7.62x39mm or a 30-30WIN, it's perfect for Michigan whitetail (or perimeter security)

In short; if you plan to use a suppressor, having much more flexibility in the subsonic and supersonic ranges is the advantage with 300BLKOUT. Not to mention I'm doing all of this with a 6.5 pound field rifle.

Last edited:
816 gump I will try to give you a legitimate answer as to why I use a 300 bolt gun . where I live and where I hunt a 200 yd shot is rare and the deer are not big like up north . I do not need a 308 to kill a 150lb deer at 200 yds . I had a 308 setting in the safe gathering dust and finally sold it just because I didnt need what it offers and can get the job done with a round that has less recoil and fuel consumption . I reload everything I shoot and enjoy experimenting with different loads for different purpose's . some day I will get another 308 . but it will be a short barrel light weight rifle .

My 16" R700 TAC 1-10" twist .308WIN barrel stabilizes 247gr hard cast lead bullets subsonic.

Hmm that makes that Savage Hog Hunter look more attractive! I bet it won't stabilize a 240 SMK though (of course you can probably get 3-4 247 cast bullets for the cost of one of those). That makes me wonder how heavy a cast bullet a seven twist would stabilize?

Another fun load to try in a bolt 300 are the 110 grain bullets subsonic. I've shot pellet guns that were much louder. I think the blackout bolt rifle is at its best as a quiet varmint gun suppressed for possums and such in the backyard, a deer sized game rifle at 200 yards and closer (100 yards would be much better), and as a fun inexpensive gun to plink/train with

816 gump I will try to give you a legitimate answer as to why I use a 300 bolt gun . where I live and where I hunt a 200 yd shot is rare and the deer are not big like up north . I do not need a 308 to kill a 150lb deer at 200 yds . I had a 308 setting in the safe gathering dust and finally sold it just because I didnt need what it offers and can get the job done with a round that has less recoil and fuel consumption . I reload everything I shoot and enjoy experimenting with different loads for different purpose's . some day I will get another 308 . but it will be a short barrel light weight rifle .

That make sense from your standpoint of not needing the power at distance and not wanting the recoil. Powder selection for subs is another very valid point as well but to be honest, I can not find any type of pistol powder anywhere. I can appreciate tinkering with odd calibers as well. I was into that at one point but I came to the realization that I would rather use a proven cartridge, get a load down, and go shoot the heck out of it rather than spending my free time at the bench.

I at one point in time was on the fence with regard to building a 300BLK bolt but I again came to the realization that I could build one just as light and handy as I could a .308WIN and if I really felt like it I could shoot the 110-125gr class bullets just the same as a .300BLK with only a marginal increase in recoil and still shoot subs. So I had to ask myself, why have two guns in the safe that are virtually identical but one generates less performance, especially given the amount of subs I shoot. I really have only shot 200 and I have 100 loaded setting in an ammo can.

I would say that with subs 300BLK may have the upper hand on accuracy but when it comes to killing things, past 100 yards I'm using a full house load so I'm ok with the 2" groups my .308WIN subs produce. IMO it's not fair to the animal. I believe in clean kills.

To each his own. Having fun safely is the most important factor to consider.

Hmm that makes that Savage Hog Hunter look more attractive! I bet it won't stabilize a 240 SMK though (of course you can probably get 3-4 247 cast bullets for the cost of one of those). That makes me wonder how heavy a cast bullet a seven twist would stabilize?

Another fun load to try in a bolt 300 are the 110 grain bullets subsonic. I've shot pellet guns that were much louder. I think the blackout bolt rifle is at its best as a quiet varmint gun suppressed for possums and such in the backyard, a deer sized game rifle at 200 yards and closer (100 yards would be much better), and as a fun inexpensive gun to plink/train with

Missouri Bullet Company

They will be badass. Give them a shot. AA1680 is the powder I used. They cycle in an 8" AR15.

I personally love mine. I couldn't pass up having a Remington 700 for just over $500. I only plan on using it for hunting probably less than 200yds, and some fun shooting in the back yard. I haven't had a chance to shoot it much but I wouldn't think it would be anywhere close to a precision rifle. I had a semi-auto 300blk and I couldn't get past the "twang" from the buffer spring when shooting it. Its crazy how much you notice when you have a can screwed on and don't hear much. Shooting the bolt 300blk, its very very close to dry firing minus the very small recoil you feel. Its really really quiet. As far as hunting, I only plan on using supersonic for hunting. Just don't think the subs have the knock down for hunting. Although I have been researching LeHigh Defense Subsonic ammo and it seems to get decent reviews for hunting with subs. If you have a can and money to burn they are a lot of fun, but most people stick to an ar platform when selecting the 300blk. If you don't have a can or don't plan on getting one, I wouldn't see the need for it.
Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure they still have a $40 rebate til the end of the year if you find a good deal on one.

JP Silent capture spring takes care of the "twang" nicely and no problems with standard spring that comes with it.

Missouri Bullet Company

They will be badass. Give them a shot. AA1680 is the powder I used. They cycle in an 8" AR15.

Except for the fact that they dont feed for shit because the nose profile is WAY to wide and it hangs up on the AR feed ramps all the time. The only guys I have seen that have gotten them to feed had to load them so short that they had to reduce their powder charge.

I plan to try some though in my R700, but for an AR there are better choices, even in cast lead if thats your thing.

Except for the fact that they dont feed for shit because the nose profile is WAY to wide and it hangs up on the AR feed ramps all the time. The only guys I have seen that have gotten them to feed had to load them so short that they had to reduce their powder charge.

I plan to try some though in my R700, but for an AR there are better choices, even in cast lead if thats your thing.

Interesting. That's not been my experience.

Interesting. That's not been my experience.

If you browse around the 300BLK forum you will see most people reporting issues. I messed with a few my buddy gave me and had feeding problems in my 9" AAC gun. I got them to feed well once I shortened the OAL to some ridiculously short length. Then the powder charge became an issue and the gun became finicky and this is a gun that feeds and shoots damn near everything I have ever put through it(it has cycled 220g SMK's and 208g AMAX down in the low 900fps range). I gave up on them. The nose profile is wider than the M4 feed ramps that most barrels come from and that is where the feeding issues come from. If you got them to run, thats great, but I would say you would be in the minority that report proper feeding and function. And like I said I will likely revisit these for my R700 bolt gun I just built up. Thats another good aspect of the bolt that there are a TON more projectiles that will work for 2 reasons: you dont need a pointy bullet for feeding purposes and you can shoot really light stuff subsonic using pistol powders that simply wont even move the bolt in an AR. MO Bullet Company has a 135g and 165g .309 bullet that would definitely run in a bolt. XTreme 150g plated bullets you could run subsonic in a bolt(supersonic they are a bit to fast for their 1500fps rating). You can also run any number of the 110g M1 Carbine bullets that have issues in the AR and those can be bought for cheap as hell most places. Hornady has a 95g XTP that people are running both subsonic and supersonic and having good results with.

There are a few NOE molds and Lee has a mold that has an acceptable nose profile to feed in the AR.

Now if somebody would develop a different barrel extension(with matching barrel ramps) or offer a service to open up the feed ramps a bit, maybe the wide flat nosed bullets would actually feed reliably. I dont fashion myself a gun plumber so me opening up feed ramps with a dremel just seems like a bad idea.

Ya. I'll be honest. I really didn't mess with changing the OAL. I had my die set up to seat 175SMK's. I used the same setting to seat the 245's. They fit in the mag and ran. Like you said, I guess I'm fortunate.

I purchased a Remington 700 AAC 300 black out with one goal in mind. The absolute perfect youth rifle for deer hunting. My son is eight and now able to hunt. Although he's not recoil shy, and shoots my AIAE & AR-15's. I didn't want him thinking about recoil. Bought some Barnes Vor-TX ammo for it, mounted a 1.25-4x scope on it. Even in the shitty houge stock it shoots a consistent sub moa group, 3 shots.

What's not to like? This thing has less recoil than my AR. Perfect hunting rifle, and accuracy to boot. Could I have done the same thing with a AR? Sure, but now I have piece of mind knowing he won't get excited when he shoots a deer and accidentally let loose another round.