• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing Remington SPS whitetail hunting load help

cookietheswede

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2010
Southgate, KY
I won a Remington 700 SPS (.300 Win Mag) in a raffle this summer and I would like to use it for whitetail hunting this year. I am looking for some factory ammo recommendations to start testing with.

Range is between 200-350yds

Barrel is 26" long 1:10 twist

Thanks for the help.

Re: Remington SPS whitetail hunting load help

Caliber?

Recently, I've had good luck with Federal Premium Vital-Shok and Hornady Superformance in a variety of calibers.

If you're cheap, I've taken just as much game with Remington Core-Lokt...

I'd lean toward the 180+ grain loads. Not that you need so much bullet, but the lighter stuff is moving pretty fast and will really make a mess.

A TSX or other monolithic load would be good to in keeping the splat factor under control.

Including my handloads, I have taken more deer with clean kills with the Remington Core-Loct than any other bullet!! I love to reload, but I know what my dope is for my popular hunting rifles for the Core-Loct. It is a very consistent round, and performs well on whitetails!

a few years ago i had a 300 wsm, and it really liked winchester super x, 180 grain soft point...325 yards took a half a does head off...those 300's are downright brutal..good luck this year...

Have had great results w Double Tap ammo's 7mm Mag loads in my factory Rem 700, they make a 165gr Accubond load in 300. Federal Fusion is a good deer load and priced well.

On the inexpensive side, Rem Core Lokt, Win Power Points or if you can find them Federal Fusion bullets. Like many others have stated Core Lokts work well. If you want a little more rapid expansion and better BC, Hornady 178 or 208 AMAX.

In a .300 WM I prefer 180gr or a little higher just in case you have a shot opportunity a bit closer. At .300 WM speeds, up close can get messy in a hurry.

Anything that loads a TSX...
smile.gif