• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington - Strange Stamp?

reximus

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2012
Columbia, MO
www.maxeffective.com
Just bought a 5R. What is this mark - I've never seen it before? It is right under the bolt handle, and appears to be stamped into the action... I'm curious to know what this is and why it is now necessary. Some sort of tracking??

Thanks all.
- reximus

C3300ED2-F04C-4C4F-8848-6A0F8D8F269C-4890-0000059863FDD335_zpsa181c0d4.jpg

Re: Remington - Strange Stamp?

I was curious about mine when I got it. I'd assume some scan tag similar to the ones you find in magazine advertisements.

There is probably a fair amount of manufacturing data encoded into that 2D bar code: date/time/shift, caliber, dimensional information, model configuration, etc. I wouldn't get too creeped-out about it, as you'd find literally hundreds of similar bar codes scattered around a modern automobile.

If that was mine and I had the barrel shot out and was having it rebuilt, that would be one of the first things I would have fixed. And not because I wear a tinfoil hat but because that is ugly...

It's an IUID code, required for ITAR concerns. It's basically a bar code, but instead of just bars it uses the position of the dots to record information. Remjngton started doing this right about the same time as the externally adjustable xmark trigger was being included.

The IUID code is hidden when the bolt is home, so I personally wouldn't worry about it. If it's visually distracting, rattle bomb it until you can't see it there.

Thanks to all for the humor and help (E. Bryant and hink)... I was hoping it was a tribute to Tetris. I think the "Remington complete with brail" made me laugh the hardest.

It isn't that much of a bother - I'm not too worried about it. I just thought it was a strange place for a strange stamp...

Why couldn't they have placed it somewhere less conspicuous where it wouldn't be visible, like the bottom side of the action?

Just looked mine has one too. I didnt notice it until I stripped it to be sent off for a new barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xp100man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sure they need to read it with out taking the rifle apart. </div></div>
"They" as in Remington, or "they" as in the goverent? I'm pretty site that for 99.9% of the rifle's life, that nobody will need to read that stamp.

If they'e putting that ugly eyesore out in the open, Remington should come out with a smartphone app that let's ME read all of the encoded info!
smile.gif

I agree Remington needs an app to read all the information on that stamp. I would like to know what kind of information it holds!

Mine has it but its on the bottom of the action and can't be seen with the stock on

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: finbox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine has it but its on the bottom of the action and can't be seen with the stock on </div></div>lucky you...
smile.gif

IUID Tags are ugly unless they wind up on a S&B scope having belonged to the Corps, then they are uber cool.

both of my kimbers have the same kind of code on the frame under the grips...its just a new barcode

Hum you do not want to know what it offers in info.If found out or even told they will come and get ya.I have three with it and it doesn't hurt the shooting at all.Heck I forgot about them having it till you posted about it.

Yes it's put on at the factory by the government. Before you even bought the rifle it has all your information, round count, and load information stored in it. It also speaks with the embedded gps receiver elsewhere in the action and keeps track of movement.

such things commercially are known as QR tags

it's called a loser tag. The intent is to identify all those that are persuaded by advertizements to make them feel special. Don't scan it, don't click on any advertizement that has those tags...if you do scan it you'll be logged into a government database as a loser.