• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Remington TAC 14 with folding brace?

david walter

Insightful commentator
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2007
Out west, but not too far west
Not sure where to ask this, but this seems to be a good place.

Is it legal to put a folding pistol brace on a TAC - 14?

Asking after watching this:

If you have information counter to what he states, please provide a reference with a link.

Thanks, DW

I'll bite, legal maybe...but holy rona ridiculousness....309.99? PHUCK THAT!! Could just about buy a second tac14 for that much.

I added the brace to mine but bought the adaptor seperate then added the sb3 to it. Had grips around for the ar's so was easy to add that piece.

The basis for the Rem Tac-14 and Mossberg Shockwave bird's grip being non-ATF legal from the factory is that it they are classified as "firearms" (not pistol, not rifle, not shotgun) with an overall FIXED length of 26.1-26.3" which exempts them from being a short barrel shotgun, as it was never manufactured with a shoulder stock, so it was never a shotgun, thus could never be a short barrel shotgun, which is important from BATFE's perspective because less than 26" facilitates its shotgun conceal-abilty, thus its menancing factor to all things law enforcement. Installing a folding mechanism, for brace / stock, will reduce its factory (BATFE threshold approved) Fixed OAL and thus BATFE classification from mundane legal to AnyOtherWeapon (AOW) classification which requires the usual BATFE blessings. So, the Cliff Notes answer to OP's question, is adding the referenced Suarez kit would only be legal if registered as an AOW. Hell, the guy on the video couldn't even show the assembly of the kit without Google shutting him down. This critter-getter project started with a Mossberg host and converted to BATFE AOW short barrel shotgun classification by the simple act of installing a Hogue stock to shoulder mount it.

IMG_3051 copy 3.jpg
IMG_3845 copy 4.JPG
IMG_5261 copy 2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Remington_Steel
I wanted a TAC-14 but the more I read the more I read about problems with them. Even some of the mag reviews try to give it some praise but talk about reliability issues. I've opted for the Mossberg Shockwave instead and had barrel sent off to Magnaport for work.

I have steered clear of the firearm / AOW area.

people get things taken in the state of CA too often by LEO

grab a lawyer and you can get it back. (Less the 2,500-10k in legal fees)

A former coworker had a mini taken as they were not sure if a device was a legal muzzle brake or an illegal Flashhider. We the gun legal or did he manufacture an assault weapon
Yes - it’s California fun

So if 97 or 100 hide members can’t be 100% that it’s fine... I avoid that. That my thought

I haven’t seen the ATFs latest “opinion” on how they measure guns now (fully closed vs filling open)

I always thought it was measured when fully open..but he’s claiming the opposite... which if true, he would Be correct, with a folding brace, any of the 14” shotguns would be considered AOWs and Require a tax stamp.

Unless you have a strong desire to leave it un-taxed, my opinion would be to go ahead and form 1 it if you want to screw around with different furniture options.

That way you don’t have to worry about it, and you can build some cool looking shit, like this guy I just recently threw together

07355965-86ED-4246-9164-D7169031460C.jpeg

Seems like a whole lot of hassle for a 4” shorter barrel. If I wanted a stock, folding or otherwise, it would be with a 18” barrel. I’ll leave the bird’s head grip on my Tac-14 and Shockwave.

OFG

Just get one of those ones that doesn't fold...

Last I heard, some "geniuses" asked the ATF to "clarify" the 26-inch rule (which, at the time, allowed for measuring with the stock deployed), to which the ATF responded by "changing their minds" and requiring measurement with the stock folded to determine OAL. Just couldn't leave well enough alone.