• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington Throats

gimpy

One-Legged Grunt
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2011
Illinois
I just picked up the Hornady OAL gauge today and tried it out on my 5R. Seating to the lands gave me an OAL of 2.927 with 168 SMK. Does that sound nuts to any of you? Short of single feeding the rounds, is there a good feedable length to shoot for? This rifle has shot .5 moa, so I can assume that the rifle has plenty of potential with the factory barrel. Have any of you had similar throat lengths with your 5R rifles, and how much weight should I place on the jump the bullet makes?

Re: Remington Throats

All Remington's are that way, too many lawyers, way to many idiots, shoot the shit out of it, give it a steady diet of SMK's.

I understand that Remington has made the throats long, but this is nuts!

Mass produced rifles means reamers made for the masses.Do what Cobra said.
Too many today worry too much about using benchrest techniques in their factory rifles. Chances are, any SMK you put in it will care not whether the jump to the lands is .008" or .080".

If you can't live with that, have a throat shortening plenum intalled.

Yep all the new ones are like that. Yet they shoot quite well loaded to mag length with many bullets. I don't think you'd gain enough to justify having the barrel set back.

My buddys in 2.960 to the lands.. He loads em so long, but that damn rifle will shoot 1/2 moa or better with every single powder and bullet combo known to man. its stupid..

Ch

My 700P was the same way. It would shoot great with mag length rounds. I don't think you need to worry.
I shot a couple thousand through my rifle and had it re-barreled. I couldn't help but want to have the option to jam the bullet. Now, I can jam them and keep them at mag length and it makes no difference that I can tell. I keep the bullets out of the rifling in case I need to pull a round out unfired. I learned that the hard way. Now, the downside is I have to set 118lr back if I don't want it to jam. More work, same result. The grass is always greener...

Mine has a long throat like that too but I loaded the SMKs to mag length and it has always shot very good 5 shot groups at 100 yards. I never get over MOA unless it's me screwing up. I recently switched to the 178gr A-Max which has to be set deeper because of the tip and it still shoots great.

I bought an XCR in 308win back in early '09. Wouldn't shoot for crap. Eventually got 1 3/4" groups out of it. Throat was in the long neighborhood of .350" deep. Had the barrel set back 1/2" and rechambered to match .308FGMM. Rifle now shoots better than I can, best group for me under .600. One thing that helped me a ton prior to rechambering was lapping the lugs. When I started working on it the engagement on one lug was barely enough to make a mark on the backside of one lug and less than 1/8" on the other lug. After lapping, bedding at the same time, my groups shrunk over an inch. I am still not nuts about the fluted barrel, but until I learn to shoot better, there isn't any point in blowing money on replacing the barrel.

Good day,

My factory Remington loads 210 JLKs to 3.225" with 0.020" jam. Berger 235 hybrids have an OGL of 2.612" and COL of 3.375". Comes in handy when trying to stuff a bunch of powder in the case.

Have fun,
DocB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bgbill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is it worth setting a factory barrel back and re cutting the chamber with a shorter throat on a 700 PSS? </div></div>

It may get better or it may get worse. If it is a dog to start I would try just that. If it shoots 3/4 MOA as is I would be very apprehensive about gambling on an unknown.

Just have a great smith set the barrel back and shorten the throat, thats what i do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bgbill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Short of single feeding the rounds, is there a good feedable length to shoot for? This rifle has shot .5 moa, so I can assume that the rifle has plenty of potential with the factory barrel. Have any of you had similar throat lengths with your 5R rifles, and how much weight should I place on the jump the bullet makes?

is it worth setting a factory barrel back and re cutting the chamber with a shorter throat on a 700 PSS? </div></div>

At that point you might as well buck for a aftermarket barrel. The difference in tight, best, groupings might not be noticeable but the average group across bore condition and groupings overall will improve.
Load to practical max length per mag system, tune load, and run with the jump. If you have new chamber ambitions apply them to new tube. IMO

Compromising neck seat in attempt to minimize jump will get you nowhere.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boomholzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bgbill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Short of single feeding the rounds, is there a good feedable length to shoot for? This rifle has shot .5 moa, so I can assume that the rifle has plenty of potential with the factory barrel. Have any of you had similar throat lengths with your 5R rifles, and how much weight should I place on the jump the bullet makes?

is it worth setting a factory barrel back and re cutting the chamber with a shorter throat on a 700 PSS? </div></div>

At that point you might as well buck for a aftermarket barrel. The difference in tight, best, groupings might not be noticeable but the average group across bore condition and groupings overall will improve.
Load to practical max length per mag system, tune load, and run with the jump. If you have new chamber ambitions apply them to new tube. IMO

Compromising neck seat in attempt to minimize jump will get you nowhere. </div></div>

All of my PSS rifles shoot very good with the factory barrel's so I guess I will just wait until I shoot them out, then I will have a new barrel installed.