• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington TI ?

swordfish

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2009
Daphne , AL
looking at a remington TI for hunting . are there any problems with the titanium receiver ? thanks for your input

Re: Remington TI ?

It's too light. J/K No it's a standard 700 receiver, just light weight. No issues with the one I had other than the whippy pencil barrel with the exceptionally long throat. Shot first shots pretty well, then started to walk after 3 rounds.

My hunting rig is a Ti. I rebedded the stock. Pulled the buggy-whip barrel and replaced it with a $50 standard weight 24" SS take-off from a XCR. Fire lapped it with tubb bullets. Put a 2.5x8 Leupy on it. It shoots 3/4 MOA, consistently, and weighs 7# even w/ scope, caps, sling, ready to hunt (but empty).

I think that for what they are (being a great ultra light weight pack rifle) they are great and highly corosion resistant to boot.
I think they are limited due to the barrel they are matched with.
I bet with a great custom barrel and some good smith tuning, they would be as well as any other custom using a standard factory receiver.
I sold one to a hide member and he is going all tricked out with it.
......SmokeRolls

I've owned Remington Titanium actions and these are the problems that I ran into. Titanium is not the best material to make an action out of. Why? Because Titanium flexes a lot more than steel. and having your action flex on you is NOT something you want. Flexing does not make a rifle inherently accurate. Also, Titanium galls very easily. Make sure you use lots of anti-seize on the barrel threads or you will catch absolute hell in twisting the barrel off.

In short, stay AWAY from Titanium actions!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've owned Remington Titanium actions and these are the problems that I ran into. Titanium is not the best material to make an action out of. Why? Because Titanium flexes a lot more than steel. and having your action flex on you is NOT something you want. Flexing does not make a rifle inherently accurate. Also, Titanium galls very easily. Make sure you use lots of anti-seize on the barrel threads or you will catch absolute hell in twisting the barrel off.

In short, stay AWAY from Titanium actions! </div></div>

Better notify these guys then:

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2011/01/x-treme-shooting-products-unveils-new-titanium-actions/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've owned Remington Titanium actions and these are the problems that I ran into. Titanium is not the best material to make an action out of. Why? Because Titanium flexes a lot more than steel. and having your action flex on you is NOT something you want. Flexing does not make a rifle inherently accurate. Also, Titanium galls very easily. Make sure you use lots of anti-seize on the barrel threads or you will catch absolute hell in twisting the barrel off.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2011/01/x-treme-shooting-products-unveils-new-titanium-actions/ </div></div>

Hell NO! But when a fellow shooter on the Hide asks for advice, I'm not going to lie about my experiences in the past. Would you?

Stock from the factory, the barrel is good for three shots, after that is a wild guess where the rounds are going.My Ti in 30-06 kicks like a mule, but it does make long walks in the woods much easier. And for three shots its a solid MOA shooter.

As for using the action for a custom, Ti is a bitch to machine, galls easily and is not cheap, but its light. Weight is the only real advantage I see.

And of course the high CDI factor...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've owned Remington Titanium actions and these are the problems that I ran into. Titanium is not the best material to make an action out of. Why? Because Titanium flexes a lot more than steel. and having your action flex on you is NOT something you want. Flexing does not make a rifle inherently accurate. Also, Titanium galls very easily. Make sure you use lots of anti-seize on the barrel threads or you will catch absolute hell in twisting the barrel off.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2011/01/x-treme-shooting-products-unveils-new-titanium-actions/ </div></div>

Hell NO! But when a fellow shooter on the Hide asks for advice, I'm not going to lie about my experiences in the past. Would you? </div></div>

Nope.

I would be interested in a 17-4 action, just not the ones in that ad.

My 700 Ti experience is somewhat similar to what has been mentioned.

My 30-06 kicks like a mule with 180 gr partitions
First two shots are 0.9" apart and the third shot opens the group up to about 1.5"
Fourth and fifth shots are more of a pattern than group.
eek.gif

It is a hunting rifle, not a target rifle. So for a backpack hunting rifle for elk, it is great because you do much more carrying than shooting. But when the time comes to pull the trigger, it will perform.

I have a .260 that while very nice and extremely light patterned much like a 20 ga shotgun Very sad for a rifle of that price; well the receiver was used for a GAP non-typical type build shown below.. now its a hammer.

DSC_0006.jpg