• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington Trigger .... Fact or Fiction??

Muttt

Sergeant
Minuteman
I've read and heard opinions on both sides. But, quite frankly, I've never seen a Remington trigger (that wasn't messed with) malfunction. In my opinion the "trigger problem" was caused by so many "improved triggers" floating around the market.

When you take the poll, keep in mind, it means a trigger that has never been adjusted, smithed, tinkered with, etc....

Re: Remington Trigger .... Fact or Fiction??

I will say that I know a ton of people with remington 700s and every single one of them never had any type of trigger malfunction that wasn't caused by themselves.

malfunctions, no
sloppy inconsistent trigger pulls, yes

Add to the modified list...
Binding stock and poorly fit bottom metal.
I had a second hand stock that I put a second hand action in and the pin would drop when I closed the bolt. But, honestly I don't know if that trigger was monkeyed with or not. It resolved after I reinletted it and wasn't in a bind. Found out the bottom metal was offset in the stock adding pressure on the trigger.

Can't say this enough... Don't screw with it if you aren't capable. Send it to someone who knows what they are doing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kamonjj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will say that I know a ton of people with remington 700s and every single one of them never had any type of trigger malfunction that wasn't caused by themselves. </div></div>

Pretty simply stated right there.

Have you been watching too much of ABC "Special" News?

I have an X-Mark Pro on mine, it came with the gun and is the only piece I haven't changed. It breaks at a crisp clean 2.5lbs.

i have both the old style on my hunting rifle and the x mark on my sps tactical.. i have never had problems with either, however the x mark feels like shit.

I did see that ABC special .... or parts of it anyway. I also saw Remington's reply with thier website. Neither impressed me much one way or the other. But, I know hundreds of people with litterally thousands of Remingtons and have never heard of one just "going off" unless it was messed with or there was some kind of mechanical issue such as biner626 mentions. Just thought I'd start a thread and find out what others experiences were.

I have older triggers (stock not worked on) and the newer X-Mark Pro and I have to admit that out of the box, I think I like the X-Mark Pro better. Even though it can't be adjusted as advertised, it stiil breaks nice.

I saw the special also. I feel for the family that lost their child, but, the muzzle was not pointed in a safe direction when it was being unloaded. Terrible result, but my feelings were that they were trying to blame someone else for their breaking of the Golden Rule.

I've seen them stick. Dirt gets down alongside the sear and binds it, when you go to pull the trigger nothing happens, but if you touch the bolt handle it fires. I will say these were high mileage guns, and in the field all day every day.

You folks know just how hard it is to clean the trigger...don't you? Take the action out of the stock, run some Naptha or lighter fluid (same stuff) thru it, blow it dry, and stick the rifle back in the stock. Wow...the pain! So complicated!!! Do it once in a while, and you WON'T have pain. So much more involved than weighing one kernel of powder at a time. (Attention...Sarcasm alert!!!) JMHO

I've owned a few of the old style, one x-mark, and one x-mark pro. I have disliked the x-mark series, but never had any malfunctions.

I can't vote in your poll. I've never had a Remington factory trigger that WASN'T adjusted. Still never had a problem either.

That pesky rule about "pointing the muzzle in a safe direction" might have kept somebody from being shot and is a really neat idea when you have ammunition in a rifle.

wow nobody here has had one. I did have one fire at the range on me with finger OFF trigger. It is my 1969 long action 30-06. I had just run it through a heat cycle on new load i made, and was cycling the bolt and as soon as i started lifting the bolt it went off. I know the gun had never been messed with as it was my grandads and he only shot it 4x's hunting and just stored it.

but that being said it was only 1 time under a STRESS test.

With the half dozen triggers I have had and messed with and fired over 5k rounds with them... NO MALFUNCTIONS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You folks know just how hard it is to clean the trigger...don't you? Take the action out of the stock, run some Naptha or lighter fluid (same stuff) thru it, blow it dry, and stick the rifle back in the stock. Wow...the pain! So complicated!!! Do it once in a while, and you WON'T have pain. So much more involved than weighing one kernel of powder at a time. (Attention...Sarcasm alert!!!) JMHO </div></div>

You have to understand though that theres literally MILLIONS of Remington 700's out there in the hands of guys that hunt with it one or two weekends a year, are lucky if they put 20 rounds through it in a year, wouldnt know a bronze bore brush from a swedish tickler, and wouldnt know how to pop the action out of the stock if they wanted to. Whats amazing is there hasnt been MORE incidents!

I saw the "new special", if you want to call it that. What a pile of crap it was (no surprise given our modern "news" outlets). It was pretty much a not to subtle jab at guns in general and only targeted Remington beings they're the largest manufacturer in the country.

The old 3-screw Rem trigger was a great trigger. If people dont know how to screw around with something properly, than it should be no surprise when something bad happens.

As for the x-mark.....pile of crap.

Yes I have seen it happen. My dad bought a Rem 700 in the late 70's and we both hunted with it for years. It was bone stock and after a hunt we walked back to the truck and he lifted the bolt to take the round out of the chamber. As soon as he lifted the bolt the round went off. Finger was off the trigger and the round went into the dirt but it definately was a malfunction. Have been shot and owned Remington rifles since I was a kid and only time I have seen it that once. Was a scary thing to see though, new trigger installed and haven't seen it since.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fngmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That pesky rule about "pointing the muzzle in a safe direction" might have kept somebody from being shot and is a really neat idea when you have ammunition in a rifle.</div></div>
+1! THANK YOU!

I had my gun smith clean it up and set it at 3.5 lbs and then lock tite the screws to they wont back out. I have one of the non x-mark triggers and its nice and smooth with no creep. As stated basic fire arm safety and maintenance it a must. I take a can of compressed air and hit the trigger with it then a squirt of rem oil after ever session. Never had a problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fngmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't vote in your poll. I've never had a Remington factory trigger that WASN'T adjusted. Still never had a problem either.

That pesky rule about "pointing the muzzle in a safe direction" might have kept somebody from being shot and is a really neat idea when you have ammunition in a rifle. </div></div>

Wisdom for the ages.......

when you pump out parts the dies get worn if not checked youll have a bad one. ive personalty never heard of anyone having problems with stock but im sure they are out their

Heidi Fleiss couldn't jerk off a stock Remington trigger....Maybe if you tipped her hard....I dunno.

This is one of those stupid fking questions that really pisses me off.....Gawd.

anyone think it may as a result of a primer not seated deep enough? i have seen other brands do the same and we inpected ammo and primers were above brass face

I've met people who have seen it on unmodified, maintained rifles. I've met an LE sniper whose agency (and several others) switched to AI after having a Remington moment on a call out, and I've read posts from people like bksain saying they've seen it.

A high primer may be an issue on a semi auto where the round is being chambered rapidly. On a bolt action, the cartridge is being chambered much slower, with much less force. You would stand a much better chance of having a primer detonate while seating one during a reloading session.

I still believe that the vast majority of the "malfunctions" where simply caused by someone having one of thier dick skinners (fingers) on the trigger. If I was a still a cop and had a negligent discharge, I'd want to blame it on Remington's evil trigger too ..... if I could get the chief to believe it, it saves possibly my job and a service jacket entry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muttt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I still believe that the vast majority of the "malfunctions" where simply caused by someone having one of thier dick skinners (fingers) on the trigger. If I was a still a cop and had a negligent discharge, I'd want to blame it on Remington's evil trigger too ..... if I could get the chief to believe it, it saves possibly my job and a service jacket entry. </div></div>

I've only ever had a "surprise" once and it was with a case that was tight in the chamber and wouldn't load with moderate force on the bolt. I was shooting prone and in an attempt to fire the round, I basically sat up, then placed the palm of my hand on the bolt and shoved hard to force it to chamber. I really can't remember where my fingers were WRT the rest of the gun, but the rifle fired and surprised me, but I'm guessing that I got one of my fingers into the trigger guard close enough to bump the trigger. I've attempted to duplicate the situation by just shoving the bolt down with palm, but I've been unable to get the rifle to fire.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rhantz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">malfunctions, no
sloppy inconsistent trigger pulls, yes </div></div>

1+

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RyanScott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've met people who have seen it on unmodified, maintained rifles. I've met an LE sniper whose agency (and several others) switched to AI after having a Remington moment on a call out, and I've read posts from people like bksain saying they've seen it. </div></div>

Take that same rifle and slam the bolt closed on an empty chamber...I guarantee it drops the sear...Some guys shouldn't be allowed to touch a trigger. Tactical is not target and some guys don't understand the difference.

Otherwise it is a dumb ass putting his finger on the go button when he shouln't, then blaming the fire control system to save his ass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X-fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RyanScott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've met people who have seen it on unmodified, maintained rifles. I've met an LE sniper whose agency (and several others) switched to AI after having a Remington moment on a call out, and I've read posts from people like bksain saying they've seen it. </div></div>

Take that same rifle and slam the bolt closed on an empty chamber...I guarantee it drops the sear...Some guys shouldn't be allowed to touch a trigger. Tactical is not target and some guys don't understand the difference.

Otherwise it is a dumb ass putting his finger on the go button when he shouln't, then blaming the fire control system to save his ass. </div></div>

Sorry, but some of us here have seen it happen before, in person, and verified that a given 700 can repeatedly malfunction under the right circumstances.

Just because you yourself haven't observed a rare-probability event doesn't mean that it's actually an impossibility. I've shot tens if not hundreds of thousands of rounds, and never had a squib load occur. Does this mean that they don't exist? No, just that I've been lucky.

Yes, the MSBNC thing may have been a hit piece...but on the other hand, there are real issues with the Remington trigger that can potentially cause an accidental discharge. You can decide for yourself if it's worth paying attention to, but do not persist in believing that it's all fake.

I personally owned a 69 Remmy 700 ADL 7mm Mag and adjusted it to break at 2.5 LBS never had an issue. Another 81 Remmy 700 ADL .308 Win adjusted the trigger down to 2.5 LBS never had an issue. Another 2007 Remmy 700 SPS .308 Win this had the old X-Mark trigger not the pro. Adjusted it down to 2.5 LBS never had an issue. Now own a 2009 Remmy 700 SPS Tac .308 Win with X-Mark Pro adjusted the trigger down to 2.5 LBS never had an issue. and the last rifle is a 2010 Remmy 700 Sendero SF II 300 Win Mag with a X-Mark Pro. It also was adjusted down to 2.5 LBS and never had an issue.

I will say that its not impossible not to have issues but I'm 100% positive that most that had issue kept the rifle in a nasty place where the trigger ended up with rust inside or other dirtiness that can accumulate inside of a trigger. I maintain my rifles the best I can in the best and cleanest way possible.

I now have Timney trigger in the SPS Tac .308 and in the Sendero SF II 300 WM because the trigger breaks way better than the X-Mark Pro's do for me.

Aron-

I'm a big fan of Remington, but I find it fascinating the Remington engineers who designed the mechanism fix were ignored...

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm sure some malfunction. You make millions of the same thing and eventaully, something will go wrong.

But, since that episode came out, it gives the people that did mess up an "OUT". Now they can blame it on the evil trigger.

I'm sure there are a few legitimate ones out there, there has to be. But, how come we never hear about them until now? They've been making this trigger since like Vietnam or something right? And there's millions of them out there.