• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington: US gunmaker offers $33m to Sandy Hook shooting victims

Handloader

Minuteman
Jun 11, 2009
Lewisburg, Ohio
BLUF: Remington to pay $33 million in a settlement to Sandy Hook Victims.
That folks, is how our rights to firearms will be lost. It won't be the laws, the Gov't, the state, etc. It will be the ambulance-chasing-lawyers! Those that manufacturing a weapon or weapon system will be unwilling to absorb the financial risk of lawsuits. Remington just paid, set precedent, and effectively negotiated with terrorists. There will be more suits to follow-mark my words. Next it will be the magazine manufacturers, ammunition manufacturers, scope manufacturers-anything associated with the firearm. The anti-gunners just won.
Remington just screwed over all firearm owners.....

Hi,

And the memory of the firearms community will have forgotten this by Monday.

Just as there should be zero reason S&W and few others are still in business after siding with anti-gunners that we need more restrictive gun laws.

There is a reason that there are now only about 3 insurance companies in the USA that will write liability insurance policies for firearm manufacturers and either you pay the (For me directly the price went up 3.7x the rate of last year) increases or you have to sign off on so many exclusions that they insurance company is essentially responsible for nothing.

Sincerely,
Theis

so Remington cant pay its employees...but they can pay $33M to ambulance chasers?
Or $60M to lawyers. You pick.

It's a sad state of affairs that an actual judge can't understand the issues with any of these cases.

Or $60M to lawyers. You pick.

It's a sad state of affairs that an actual judge can't understand the issues with any of these cases.
ide pay my lawyers before i paid ambulance chasers.

much like paying a ransom...sure, its cheaper to pay out....this time......but once there is blood in the water, every billy bob is going to come flocking trying to suck more and more money out of you for something you didnt do.

Totally agree. It sucks all the way around. I see that Dan Bongino started up another company to take clear payments that caters to people that are being shut out by credit card companies refusing to do transactions for gun retailers, etc.

I'm hoping that more of those types of companies will start up and thrive, doing away with having some do-gooder CEO decide he doesn't like your line of business so you can't clear credit card transactions any longer.

Just like turning the red flag laws around on the snakes that passed them, start using this precedent to go after alcohol and/or car manufacturers for injury to any family members that are hurt. Or even better, bring a suit against the fda for the food pyramid fucking up everyone’s health. Start exposing the clown show courts for what they are

Hi,

And the memory of the firearms community will have forgotten this by Monday.

Just as there should be zero reason S&W and few others are still in business after siding with anti-gunners that we need more restrictive gun laws.

There is a reason that there are now only about 3 insurance companies in the USA that will write liability insurance policies for firearm manufacturers and either you pay the (For me directly the price went up 3.7x the rate of last year) increases or you have to sign off on so many exclusions that they insurance company is essentially responsible for nothing.

Sincerely,
Theis
And here I thought I was the only one still holding that S&W grudge. It is amazing how people forget and forgive.

I thought Remington was caput (honestly not following their saga). but the fact they shaft their employees but pay out to lawyers and ambulance chasers AND SELL US OUT leaves a really bad taste (understatement of the day)

IF they come back, I will make sure to note it in my buying recommendations to others. Remington is dead to me now.

And here I thought I was the only one still holding that S&W grudge. It is amazing how people forget and forgive.

I thought Remington was caput (honestly not following their saga). but the fact they shaft their employees but pay out to lawyers and ambulance chasers AND SELL US OUT leaves a really bad taste (understatement of the day)

IF they come back, I will make sure to note it in my buying recommendations to others. Remington is dead to me now.

Hi,

LOLOLOL when you get bored one day check the manufacturing numbers for S&W pre and post "sellout".....

It is crystal clear that not only did it NOT affect them negatively; their manufacturing numbers went up.......you know..because they dropped price 10 dollars, lol.

Based off the historical data of firearms industry having temporary amnesia to Gun companies publicly wanting to restrict their rights to said firearms in order to save a dollar; Remington will be buying up all the companies it just sold off in Bankruptcy court with no problem.

The mob is fickle..give them a dollar savings and you can make them jump through hoops to purchase your products.

Sincerely,
Theis

Beginning to sound like we need to own everything we think we will ever want to own, now.

The problem is that companies are stabbing us in the back faster than we can keep up with. I absolutely will not (willingly) do business with companies that screw us over- even when there is a considerable savings. And I have a list of places that don't represent my values so they don't get my money. But I don't spend huge amounts of time online following these things- Most people I know that have a S&W have no idea about what the company did.... and I would have personally bought a gun from another company that tried to screw us over if it wasn't for a little info from the guy behind the counter. I believe that it has more to do with just not knowing- than being willing to sell out over a few bucks?

And when they can't make money, who makes the firearms? What impact to the 2nd does that have? That's my point. I thought it was obvious. Full Stop........

My pencil misspelled a word once. I just can’t remember what brand it was to sue. I got an F on that paper!!!

Then I need to sue Ford and Jack Daniel’s for the loss of my uncle hit by a drunk driver,
very sorry about your uncle but yeah how can you sue manufacturers (and actually win) for the improper and in this case illegal use of your products. absolutely wrong.

Reactions: 10ring'r
I believe that it has more to do with just not knowing- than being willing to sell out over a few bucks?

Hi,

You really think so??

There is a big difference in "not knowing" and choosing not to know.

Look at the numbers of how many posts are in the Bear Pit every single day compared to the number of views, never mind the number of replies to this thread.

A "How many farts do you have a day" will get more views and replies than this thread or any thread like it.

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: Blutroop
I guess this can be case law now to sue ford, chevy, dodge and any other car manufacturer into bankruptcy because of drunk drivers and such along with pool manufacturers and any other company out there that makes a product that can be used to kill people...maybe even plane manufacturers. 🤔🤔🙄

Doc

I have not forgotten or forgiven S&W.

Firearm companies do not exist in order to protect the 2nd amendment. They exist to make money for shareholders. Full stop.
Even more so when they get bought by groups like cerberus.

Support the little guys whenever possible.

Hi,

Settling out of court did not stop 4 insurance carries from ceasing all policy renewals effectively canceling thousands of policies that smaller manufacturers had.

In which now the product liability coverage has gone up 3.7x...from my own direct experience and knowledge...not the internet, lol.

Insurance companies knew this settlement was coming months ago because they have drawn up entirely new exemption clauses of "wrongful and negligence use".

Sincerely,
Theis

BLUF: Remington to pay $33 million in a settlement to Sandy Hook Victims.
That folks, is how our rights to firearms will be lost. It won't be the laws, the Gov't, the state, etc. It will be the ambulance-chasing-lawyers! Those that manufacturing a weapon or weapon system will be unwilling to absorb the financial risk of lawsuits. Remington just paid, set precedent, and effectively negotiated with terrorists. There will be more suits to follow-mark my words. Next it will be the magazine manufacturers, ammunition manufacturers, scope manufacturers-anything associated with the firearm. The anti-gunners just won.
Remington just screwed over all firearm owners.....
unreal and absolutely ridiculous. when can we sue the car makers for texting and drunk drivers!!!!!

unreal and absolutely ridiculous. when can we sue the car makers for texting and drunk drivers!!!!!
Why not? We have "self driving cars" now, the manufacturers should be able to retrofit every car they ever made at their (or their insurance company's) expense. That's the insane logic used. But this is another reason Remington went broke...bad decision after bad decision.....after bad decision.

Also, let's not forget Springfield Armory's shenanigan's. A primary reason the Hellcat was not on my radar - right or wrong. Their image was (or should be) tarnished. ANY capitulation on current law leads to more and more draconian laws, lawsuits, etc. Fewer laws are needed and more enforcement on absolute criminals committing these acts is. Furthermore, all these so-called nuts shooting the place up...have been on FBI watch list (but of course we now know a hell of a lot more about that too).

Rant over.

Furthermore, all these so-called nuts shooting the place up...have been on FBI watch list (but of course we now know a hell of a lot more about that too).

Rant over.
Well, sure they are on FBI watch lists. I'm on a list. You're on a list. @THEIS and Lowlight are on both of those lists as well as lists that haven't yet been written.

I would have fought it.. I highly doubt it would have cost $33M to win and set a firm precedent.

P.S. Anybody who posted in that blow shit up thread are now on a very special list.

As long as we are dredging up the past with firearm manufacturers didn't Ruger and Colt kind of fuckover civilians in the past.

Bill Ruger single handedly wrote the magazine capacity ban in the late 80s/early 90s that was eventually used in the 1994 AWB.

so yeah. Pepperidge Farm remembers.

but that was way before Al Gore invented the internet. and he was not as easily deleted from relevancy as Jim Zumbo was.

Hi,

You really think so??

There is a big difference in "not knowing" and choosing not to know.

Look at the numbers of how many posts are in the Bear Pit every single day compared to the number of views, never mind the number of replies to this thread.

A "How many farts do you have a day" will get more views and replies than this thread or any thread like it.

Sincerely,
Theis

I dunno.

While most "gun guys" know about the S&W sell-out I think much of the gun buying population does not, and newer shooters simply don't care.

I think it has more to do with the popularity of semi-auto's and polymer guns than anything else. Newer shooters (those who have picked it up in the last 20 years) seem to be focused on all things 9mm, so by the time they get around to adding a revolver to the collection they're more concerned with how it feels/recoil than whether it's a pre or post-lock gun.

Hi,

Settling out of court did not stop 4 insurance carries from ceasing all policy renewals effectively canceling thousands of policies that smaller manufacturers had.

In which now the product liability coverage has gone up 3.7x...from my own direct experience and knowledge...not the internet, lol.

Insurance companies knew this settlement was coming months ago because they have drawn up entirely new exemption clauses of "wrongful and negligence use".

Sincerely,
Theis

And I am sure that all of those costs were absorbed and not passed along the to consumer due to the large profit margins enjoyed by all....

Any attorneys in the house that can comment on how legal restructuring might come into play to get around this nonsense? I would think this would signal the end of "Made in USA" firearms and a shift towards "assembled in USA" operations, where the US based company keeps minimal tooling to produce the serialized part and complete assembly.

In my experience, attorney's don't like to take cases on contingent fees when the target has a weak balance sheet. I'm sure there's an easy way around this, even if it means we have to deal with 922r for damn near everything.

Not my department so hopefully someone in the know can chime in...

9/11 started this idea that everyone that experiences bad shit in their lives is able to get a payment for their loss.

The tax payers were no more responsible for 9/11 than Remington was for Sandy Hook.

I think last week I heard the Xiden admin wants to start a National "Victims Compensation" fund.

Im guessing the "victims" compensated will only be those that died in activities that fit their agenda.

This shit so cheapens life.

Everyone that dies now is only worth what their monetary "compensation" amounts to.

Bring me back no money but actual eye for an eye justice.

I guess this can be case law now to sue ford, chevy, dodge and any other car manufacturer into bankruptcy because of drunk drivers and such along with pool manufacturers and any other company out there that makes a product that can be used to kill people...maybe even plane manufacturers. 🤔🤔🙄

Doc
The same kind of liability exposure that this thread addresses pretty much shut down small-aircraft manufacturing from the mid 70s through the late 90s. People were allowed to sue Cessna when their shitty piloting resulted in a death and suddenly, the golden age of general aviation came to a screeching halt.

“They” know what the insurance will pay. They settle out of court for that amount, because that is why companies pay the insurance premiums. Happens all of the time in all kinds of industries. Settle out of court with “no admission of fault.” Rinse, repeat.

These comments are killing me because clearly a lot of people who have strong feelings don’t have an understanding of what’s happening here.

yes we all know that huge groups of people want to shut down the firearms industry and if possibly pull all the firearms in this country. Fact

many of the the parents and people of the state after Sandy hook were outraged and looking for away to accomplish this
Fact

the law suit is not about the miss use of the the fire arm. As I. The example of going after Budweiser for a drunk driver. The law suite hinges on the marketing of the company that basically asserts that the company was in fact aware that this is a weapon solely designed to kill people and effectively romantizes the “lone wolf” narrative in violation of state fare trade laws.

Remington is in bankruptcy court. An on going liability law suite needs to be reported on the books it is an out standing liability. There fore any good bankruptcy hearing is going to look at that liability and try to extinguish it. Remington or what May become should we say “new Remington” is trying to purge all of its outstanding liabilities so that it can start clean so yea they want this gone and don’t want to fight it for the next 10yrs which would make it impossible for them to reopen

No weapon is solely designed to kill people.

They are designed to function reliably and shoot bullets accurately.

Use is decided by the person using it.

Reactions: Jscb1b