• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Remington using Chinese Steel on Barrels?

As of 2010 they were using Nucor(Japanese based company). Can't say who they are using now though.

Wouldn't surprise me. I've worked for a General Motors transmission plant and they use Chinese steel for their gears! Oh the hypocracy.

Doesn't matter, barrels get taken off anyway. I wish I could buy the rest of the 700 and leave off the barrel and stock. I'd pay the same amount, but I don't pay more. That is why I have barrels laying around for other projects. Tomato or tent stake?

499.00 from Brownells, wow screaming deal. I bought two new complete Rem 700s, one long one short, Rem 700, for 430.00 each out the door, with crap plastic stock and Bushnell scope and rings with a crap trigger, but at least I get the safety. I can at least sell the scope.....This what I am talking about, if I could get it from Brownells at that price I would, but I still have to pay shipping and ffl. Such a deal!

I heard several years back that the last steel mill in the United States shut down. Or was it iron smelter? Anyway, there may no longer be a choice in the matter.

I sure hope the last steel mill in the USA didn't shut down. I work for one. There are lots of steel mills around the USA that are in great shape.

What you heard about was the last lead smelter shutting down.

I sure hope the last steel mill in the USA didn't shut down. I work for one. There are lots of steel mills around the USA that are in great shape.

That's good to hear.

I heard about the lead smelters (damn sad day for us, happy day for the environmental wackos bent on weakening our nation), but this was before that. It had specifically to do with the steel industry. Are there any iron smelters left in the U.S.? That's the only other thing it could have been, unless the info was bad.

The steel industry is alive and well in the US....NUCOR, MITTAL, Gerdau, US Steel, etc, etc...

I'm a truck driver, used to specialize in hauling steel...

Many of them are not US owned, but the mills are here.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

The steel industry is alive and well in the US....NUCOR, MITTAL, Gerdau, US Steel, etc, etc...

I'm a truck driver, used to specialize in hauling steel...

Many of them are not US owned, but the mills are here.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Understood. But, where is the iron coming from these days?

there are a few steel mills in pittsburgh. i'm not sure what they do. i see allegheny ludlum trucks hauling rolls of steel every day. every once in awhile in the winter the sky turns orange at night from something they do.

whether remington uses chinese steel, i don't know. i wouldn't be surprised. my 'american' ford is all mexican parts.

Check out Steel Dynamics inc. They are 100% AMERICAN ownership and use mostly recycled steel.

Corey4, that orange glow in the winter is more than likely a chemical reaction when ice and snow are in the scrap and they load up a furnace. Most leave around 5-10ton of liquid in the furnace to kick start the melting. When the snow and ice fall into the bath it is one hell of a reaction.

Check out Steel Dynamics inc. They are 100% AMERICAN ownership and use mostly recycled steel.

Corey4, that orange glow in the winter is more than likely a chemical reaction when ice and snow are in the scrap and they load up a furnace. Most leave around 5-10ton of liquid in the furnace to kick start the melting. When the snow and ice fall into the bath it is one hell of a reaction.

i have heard many different reasons for it, but that makes sense.