• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington v.s. Savage

tanda10506

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2010
Phelan, CA
As I said in my last post, I've been considering a Remington 700 SPS Varmint or Tactical. It sounds like they are great rifles, escept for the stock. The more I look around in the forum, it seems like the Savage 10 Law enforcement rifle's are better. I'm not sure of the different variants of the 10 Series, but the one I was looking at was the 10FCP .308LE. It apparently has a pretty good stock, with a detatchable magazine and muzzle break. It has a 24" fluted, heavy barrel. It's roughly $200 more, but it sounds like a much better rifle. Is it?

Re: Remington v.s. Savage

I tried to get in that rifle in a 300 but it was back ordered from factory. They are great rifles and that one has alot to it for the money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tanda10506</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As I said in my last post, I've been considering a Remington 700 SPS Varmint or Tactical. It sounds like they are great rifles, escept for the stock. The more I look around in the forum, it seems like the Savage 10 Law enforcement rifle's are better. I'm not sure of the different variants of the 10 Series, but the one I was looking at was the 10FCP .308LE. It apparently has a pretty good stock, with a detatchable magazine and muzzle break. It has a 24" fluted, heavy barrel. It's roughly $200 more, but it sounds like a much better rifle. Is it? </div></div>

It highly depends on whether or not you intend to upgrade the rifle. The Remington has after market support, that Savage cannot touch, in my opinion. If you intend to leave the rifle as is after you buy it, than i would have to say the Savage is a better buy. But if you intend to upgrade the rifle, i would have to choose Remington. Just my 2 cents.

Have you had a chance to handle both? I suggest you do. One may fell better to you than the other. Everyone is diffrent and that extra money may be worth it to you depending on how it fits when you pull it up to you shoulder. Both are great rifles.

I agree with scrambler. If you plan to leave stock the saveage is your best choice. If you want to have work done to it i would go with the rem.

If I were to get one of those two Remingtons, I would be changing the stock, as I hear they are horrible. Other then that I don't see a need to change anything else. Just put on a good bipod and scope, which I would do for the Savage also. If I were to get the Savage, I don't see why I would want to change anything. The stocks are supposed to be pretty good on that model.

I'm going another route. I've got a Stevens (savage 10 action w/out accutrigger) on order. You can pick one up at buds w/out optic for 313 shipped. I'm going to pull the stock of anyway for a B&C and going with a custom barrel so I wasn't about to buy a nicer savage just to tear it apart. I picked the savage action over the Remington because of the floating bolt. Therefor I have no need to spend a lot of extra money with a gunsmith with him trying to ensure my bolt face was flush and locked up tight. So if you do the math.

Stevens 308........ $313
Custom Barrel...... $300
B&C Medalist....... $225

So $838 for a rifle that will more than likely outshoot most stock rifles. Just an idea. BTW buying the action from savage will cost you $500 if you were thinking that. Already looked into it.

Good luck,
Merritt
SGT USMC vet.

It sounds as though the Savage is the gun for you. You do not plan on upgrading anything on the Savage and if you did get a Remington you said the stock would be the only thing to replace. So if i were you I would look into the 10FCP LE or 10FCP-K. Personally I was eyeballing a 10FCPK for awhile, it has everything a beginner-intermediate shooter needs, and for a good price.

Don't forget a new trigger, I doubt the factory set Stevens trigger will be much to your liking. So add about $97 to your figures for the Sharpshooter Supply competition trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scrambler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tanda10506</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As I said in my last post, I've been considering a Remington 700 SPS Varmint or Tactical. It sounds like they are great rifles, escept for the stock. The more I look around in the forum, it seems like the Savage 10 Law enforcement rifle's are better. I'm not sure of the different variants of the 10 Series, but the one I was looking at was the 10FCP .308LE. It apparently has a pretty good stock, with a detatchable magazine and muzzle break. It has a 24" fluted, heavy barrel. It's roughly $200 more, but it sounds like a much better rifle. Is it? </div></div>

It highly depends on whether or not you intend to upgrade the rifle. The Remington has after market support, that Savage cannot touch, in my opinion. If you intend to leave the rifle as is after you buy it, than i would have to say the Savage is a better buy. But if you intend to upgrade the rifle, i would have to choose Remington. Just my 2 cents. </div></div>

Up til now, I would normally agree with the fact that Remington has Many more aftermarket parts to make it worth buying over a Savage...However..You can get aftermarket triggers, detachable box mags setups, Now AICS stocks, Mcmillan stocks, Various bolt handles which are a 1 minute job to swap out which you CAN"T do on a Remington, easier for a shooter to order a bbl for a Savage and change it himself in 5 minutes with a simple vise and savage bbl nut wrench, plenty of scope mount options. I'm not sure what else is made for remingtons that is not made for Savage that you may need. All that being said, I prefder Remington actions..but fair is fair.

To kind of summarize the way I look at it: I'm not worried about triggers or actions. I want the gun that's going to be the most accurate the way it comes. I'm sure the barrels aren't top notch, but they are pretty good and I don't have interest right now in changing them. If I was to get the Remington I would definetly change the stock. But it seems like if I change the stock on the Remington, and change the bottom metal for a detatchable magazine, then I will have a Remington that has the features and accuracy of the Savage that I could just buy out of the box. Is that pretty much correct?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tanda10506</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To kind of summarize the way I look at it: I'm not worried about triggers or actions. I want the gun that's going to be the most accurate the way it comes. I'm sure the barrels aren't top notch, but they are pretty good and I don't have interest right now in changing them. If I was to get the Remington I would definetly change the stock. But it seems like if I change the stock on the Remington, and change the bottom metal for a detatchable magazine, then I will have a Remington that has the features and accuracy of the Savage that I could just buy out of the box. Is that pretty much correct? </div></div>

Pretty much nailed it on the head.

Good luck,
Merritt
SGT USMC vet.

this topic has come up before. last year me and a very good friend and fellow hide member both wanted to buy a new rifle in .308. he got the 10fp and I got a 700 sps-v. I love my remmys always have been a remmy fan. out of the box both stocks suck but the sps-v is worse. As much as I hate to admit it out of the box the savage will shoot better most of time. Now both sit in B & C medalist stocks and shoot much better. can't really tell which one shoots better than the other. I went with the sps-v because of the better options in aftermarket parts and a matter of personal preference. Either one is a fine rifle to start out with JMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tanda10506</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To kind of summarize the way I look at it: I'm not worried about triggers or actions. I want the gun that's going to be the most accurate the way it comes. I'm sure the barrels aren't top notch, but they are pretty good and I don't have interest right now in changing them. If I was to get the Remington I would definetly change the stock. But it seems like if I change the stock on the Remington, and change the bottom metal for a detatchable magazine, then I will have a Remington that has the features and accuracy of the Savage that I could just buy out of the box. Is that pretty much correct? </div></div>

I wouldn't worry too much about the stock on the Remington until you are solid enough on your fundamentals to know any flaws in your shooting reside with the ergonomics of the stock. I didn't see anywhere near the improvement in my shooting immediately after replacing the varmint stock my SPS came with, that I did after signing up for the online training here!

Turns out my trigger pull was nowhere near as consistent as I thought it was. Working on correcting that, NPA, Bipod loadig and other skills I'm still learning, showed improvements more dramatic than the replacement, and even the subsequent bedding, of stocks!

You'd do well with either platform as, if your anything like most of us, it won't be your last rifle purchase, nor will you go to long without making other changes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg[/quote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

You'd do well with either platform as, <span style="font-weight: bold">if your anything like most of us, it won't be your last rifle purchase</span>, nor will you go to long without making other changes. </div></div>

That is a very true statement, so dont forget about resale value. A 700 will always be a 700 and typically bring you some sort of ROI. So no offense meant to anyone with a Savage but it is on the lower end of the spectrum, and will always be a Savage.

Ever see a guy driving around in a Honda Civic with $10k in aftermarket parts and say why didnt he just save up and buy a year old BMW? The Civic guy chases the performance of more expensive options with modifications, and can actually close the gap in some respecsts with enough money in parts. Except one problem, it will always be front wheel drive, and never match the rear wheel drive handling dynamics of a BMW. I think you see where I'm going with this...

The return on investment is true to a point but with consideration to initial investment cost, the better out of the box accuracy of the savage etc, etc,

I would spend even less and get a stevens 200. My dealer sold me my last one for 350 out the door. I never looked back. The last SPS I bought was 650 and the only thing worth anything for resale on either one are the actions. If you compare action prices you arent really losing much on the stevens / savage. If you can buy a Rem 700 action for 350 (which I have several times) it would appear that someone lost 300 bucks on a less than mediocre rifle.

I have 4-5 high end full custom big name builder sticks, blah blah blah... but I have had my savage the longest. Guns are cheaper, the parts are cheaper, and they perform to a much higher level bone stock. I wont leave my any of my other rifles in the back seat of the truck either. If it gets stolen, I will buy another they will all do the same thing.

I've told this in other posts, I received a new 10FLCP-K just before Christmas as a retirement gift from my old unit and Savage Arms. I had never owned a Savage and started thinking of different components. With only one box of GM308M through it I can't measure a spread at 100, it shoots hole, within hole, withing hole...
At this point I'm not even considering a different stock, trigger, anything.

Through the years I've been issued winchester's, allot of Remington's and some Parker Hales' and they wouldn't even come close to the way this Savage shoots.

I would have to go with the Savage. I agree that if you're wanting to upgrade/build on it that the Remington would probably be better. However every Savage I've ever had shot lights out!! The only improvement that I can see being necessary on a Savage is the stock and since McMillan, HS Precision, and Bell and Carlson make some really nice stocks for them, that's not an issue. So my advice is go with the Savage, it'll serve you well.

Evidently some of you have not priced Savages lately. They may not be as pretty but they are kicking ass in the accuracy department. Oh I forgot price. I own both and neither are cheap any more. Which one shoots the best without having to be tweeked. That's the one I'll buy. Are you reading this Remington.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JML403</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div></div>

You'd do well with either platform as, <span style="font-weight: bold">if your anything like most of us, it won't be your last rifle purchase</span>, nor will you go to long without making other changes. [/quote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

That is a very true statement, so dont forget about resale value. A 700 will always be a 700 and typically bring you some sort of ROI. So no offense meant to anyone with a Savage but it is on the lower end of the spectrum, and will always be a Savage.

Ever see a guy driving around in a Honda Civic with $10k in aftermarket parts and say why didnt he just save up and buy a year old BMW? The Civic guy chases the performance of more expensive options with modifications, and can actually close the gap in some respecsts with enough money in parts. Except one problem, it will always be front wheel drive, and never match the rear wheel drive handling dynamics of a BMW. I think you see where I'm going with this...

</div></div>

Actually your analogy is a bit flawed.

How do we measure whether a rifle performs or not? Most people would say one of the major indicators of rifle performance is accuracy and repeatability. Well out of the box most people would agree that a savage will outshoot a remington. I have both savages and remingtons.

Well if you say that ergonomics also plays into the equation well both the sps varmint, tactical whatever and the savage 10fp both have really bad stocks and they can both be changed to say a B&C medalist stock. If you talk about barrel lengths and contours and weights, well both savages and remingtons can get barrels from just about any barrel maker in just about any barrel contour. They both will have aftermarket trigger support.

Your analogy with a civic with $10K in parts vs a bmw say 3 series assumes that the savage (being the civic) is already inferior to the remington (being the BMW 3 series). This is flawed since the savage is not inferior in performance stock out of the box to the remington.

A more correct analogy would be a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 sedan (savage) vs. BMW 328 sedan (remington). Both about the same price. Both have some shortcomings straight from the factory. But the Hyundai performs better than the 328 in 0-60 times kinda like the savage is more accurate than remingtons out of box. Oh and another thing both cars are RWD. The only thing is the Genesis still has that HYUNDAI name while the 328 has the BMW name exactly like the savage and remington. I think for most people the Remington name has a little more prestige than the Savage name.

Just my thoughts,

Gene

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MSG Janoski</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've told this in other posts, I received a new 10FLCP-K just before Christmas as a retirement gift from my old unit and Savage Arms. I had never owned a Savage and started thinking of different components. With only one box of GM308M through it I can't measure a spread at 100, it shoots hole, within hole, withing hole...
At this point I'm not even considering a different stock, trigger, anything.

Through the years I've been issued winchester's, allot of Remington's and some Parker Hales' and they wouldn't even come close to the way this Savage shoots.</div></div>

Awesome to know, I am about to order a Savage 10 FCP-K in the next few weeks.

I read all this and kind of laugh. In the end you are talking about PRODUCTION rifles. You are rolling the dice. I have yet to see someone take 10 of each and do any type of statistically significant comparison to really see which one is more accurate.

I prefer Remingtons but I have a couple of Savages in the safe. Buy whichever has the features you want and learn to shoot it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I read all this and kind of laugh. In the end you are talking about PRODUCTION rifles. <span style="font-style: italic">You are rolling the dice</span>. I have yet to see someone take 10 of each and do any type of statistically significant comparison to really see which one is more accurate.
</div></div>

There are a lot of very valid points here. However, besides my very accurate analogy, the most truthful statement is the quote above. Anyone who has bought their fair share of new firearms nows that to be the truth. Its unfortunate, but the truth.

I still stand by my words and feel the Savage is inferior, but that is my not so expert opinion and nothing more!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I read all this and kind of laugh. In the end you are talking about PRODUCTION rifles. You are rolling the dice. I have yet to see someone take 10 of each and do any type of statistically significant comparison to really see which one is more accurate. </div></div>

Of course we're talking production the man didn't ask for a rifle to walk out and win national matches with, and if he did Savage and Rem would not even be a consideration!

Sniper's Hide is one of only a couple sites where a larger percentage of "members" actually own a custom set-up. Even the vast majority of people who shoot competitively don't run big custom set-ups and that's why Rem and Savage are being discussed in this thread.

As far as the automotive comparison, I think it's weak also. If you're using your rifle to take down some game you're going to get one or two shot chances. I my case in years past my weapon dispatched my assigned target and had to protect my life. So in those scenarios it could be a Ferrari or a Yugo, if the Yugo did the job consistently better, I'm taking the Yugo.

Savage has a lot of reliability when it comes to accuracy especially for law enforcement such as SWAT. Remington has years of experience when it comes to accuracy, durability and specific task requirements. Both hold there own very well. I'm still in love with my Remington more than savage only because i can shoot and customize it far more than savage. If you are a accuracy kinda guy that goes out to 300 yards then i say savage, but if you go up to 700 yards in the elements with different terrain i say Remington.