• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington Viper 522 - Interesting Find

JoeMartin

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
USA
Well, I've owned one of these 522's since '94 or '96 (I beleive) and simply gave up on it about 4 - 5 years ago. Damn thing wouldn't feed half the time, and in all honesty it really isn't all that accurate. Still, it's in my .22 collection because of a weak moment many years ago.

Ok, I got this thing shooting good this morning. By good I mean that I fed 60 rounds through this Viper without one single problem.

The reason I did not have a ftf problem was because I took the advise of some guy on YouTube who said to use only the metal magazine.

When I bought my 522 Viper it came with one poly type magazine and I also ordered two extra metal after-market mags for this rifle (about $14.00 each way back then), and never used them. I just figured that the poly one the rifle came with should be the one that would work best - but not so at all!

When I used the two (now a-day's $44.00 +) metal magazines I had, the rifle fired flawlessly. I ran 10 rounds at a time out of the magazines - firing fast, and then slow, then fast, and just kept repeating this until I had to leave the range to get to work by 8:30.

The ammo I used was the bulk box Federal #745 - 36 grain hollow point - 1260 fps (manufacturers data)...

I'm going to continue the test with this rifle, but it still won't get the playing time my other quality rifles get in our monthly SH comps, but I'd sure like to see just how long I can go without a failure to feed issue.

Just passing along the info if any of you may have one of these Viper 522's,,, and if you had the same trouble I had with the failure to feed issue... At this point it does seem that the after-market metal magazines solve the problem.

Down side??? These after-market metal mags cost at least $44.00 and up... A far cry more then what I paid many years ago for my two metal mags... And in all honesty, if I had not purchased them when I got the rifle way back when, I darn sure would not buy them today at the price they are asking just to see if I could turn junk into tolorable junk.

Re: Remington Viper 522 - Interesting Find

Part 2:

I took the Viper back out this morning and ran 80 more shots through it from 25 yards - this time at NRA TQ-3/2 50 yard targets - (50 Rounds of Federal #745, 36 grn HP - 1260 fps) and (30 Rounds of CCI Blazer, 40 grn LRN - 1235 fps). I think all .22's like CCI Blazer as it gave the best group, not that I was after grouping, but rather continuing my testing of just how long I can go without a failure to feed issue. So for so good at this point with a total of 140 shots through this rifle without cleaning.

I did notice a new problem crop up, and that was with the rear sight (factory open sights that came with this rifle) the rear sight will not tighten into place on the slide rail. This will be an easy enough fix once I get around to it.

As I said, I'm not really testing for any accuracy at this point, just function, but I will add that the trigger pull is horrible and perhaps I may be able to lighten it a bit with some research on how to do that.

I will post a picture of the targets I shot today (with 60 rounds at them),,, while the other 20 rounds I shot down range at metal targets.

Here we go;
Left Side Targets Were Shot With The #745 Federal, & Right Side Bulls Are The CCI Blazer
002-5.jpg

Nice wright up.

I've had one since they came out. Had the same issue with the rear sight as well. As far as FTF's, I never really kept track of how often it happens as I kind of just accepted the it as shortcomings of the platform. It's nice to know the steel mags corrected the issue. I just can't get myself to spend nearly $50 for extra mags.

I threw a cheap red dot on top and the gun is plenty accurate to send spent shotgun shells flying through the air at 25 yards. I'd like to play with it more, but only having the one 10 round magazine is a bit tough when I can preload several 25 rounders for the 10-22. I wish someone would make aftermarket magazines for the rifle again.

Nice to see another viper owner out there. Let me know how that trigger job comes if you get around to messing with it.

Cheers,

K9-

I know exactly what you mean about the price of an extra spare magazine for these rifles. I agree, I would not shell out the money for another mag either, and am fortunate enough to have two metal ones that were reasonably priced back in the 90's.

I will make a post on the trigger job should I be able to come up with a solution. I do like the feel of this rifle, but same as you pointed out, I too have a 10/22 Ruger with 25 round
magazines and overall I do enjoy it much more then the Viper. The 10/22 IMHO is a flawless rifle to be sure.

Well, something funny happened yesterday. I was on Brownells site ordering a magazine tube for a Marlin 39A when I came across a 522 steel magazine in stock for $41. I can't say how, but the magazine ended up in my cart upon checkout
shocked.gif

At any rate, I figured having a backup magazine for the rifle is a good thing and I hope using the steel framed mag. corrects some of the feeding issues previously lived with.

Well Joe, I guess I have you to thank for re-sparking a bit of interest in a rifle that was accustomed to sitting in the back of the safe. All in all, I really do like the rifle as it's a good shooter. I like how easy the magazines are to load as well, and maybe with a second magazine, the little Viper may just work it's way towards the front:)

Joe, please do let me know if you come up with a cheap mod for the trigger as a trigger upgrade would certainly be a welcomed and needed upgrade to the rifle.

Sincerely,

K9-

Sorry my post cost you some money on a new magazine, K9. It happens... I agree, the Viper's magazine is one of the easiest magazines to load.

I feel if you are enjoying the rifle and its not giving you any issues, then by all means there is no reason not to enjoy it.
smile.gif

Well my new metal viper magazine came in the mail yesterday. I have to say I'm shocked at the night and day difference between the metal magazine and the stock plastic one. I couldn't believe the weight difference and overall feel of the new mag. I'm looking forward to running some rounds down the barrel to try it out.

K9-

Agreed, the stock magazine that the Viper came with is worthless. Since using only my two metal magazines, my Viper has worked very well except for what we talked about earlier, trigger pull and the rear sight sliding as it won't tighten up.

I've got an old Tasco 3-9x32 with one inch rings laying around. I think I'll put it on the 522 and see what it will do one of these weekends.

Took the viper out with the boy a couple of days ago. Tried the new metal magazine and found each round failed to feed. I only loaded two full magazines and found all 18 rounds after the initial charge FTF. I have to admit I felt a bit of disappointment as to the immediate results. I am not writing the mag off yet as I haven't explored the reason for the FTF's. It may be a simple fix by a tweak here or there.

On a different note, my boy had a great time popping 3 inch balloons at 50 yards with a 4 moa red dot scope mounted. As I mentioned earlier, I had the same problem with my rear sight sliding back and forth. The gun is a blast to shoot with a cheap red dot. Also found the gun still has the same stiff trigger
shocked.gif

K9-

DSCN1668.jpg

DSCN1676.jpg

Wow, sorry to hear that, K9. Just a thought, load up those new magazines and let them set for a week or so in lock down. Maybe it's a spring issue? Keep me posted.

I had both style magazines for mine (I got it when I was about 14 as a birthday gift) 18 years ago now. It didn't matter if I used a polymer or steel magazine the gun just was not reliable. I have 3-4 magazines (steel + poly) and none are flawless for operation or even close for that matter. I've given up on it ever actually being reliable so it pretty much never gets shot. I cant say for sure that the steel is better or worse magazine than the polymer, but if I'm lucky I can get about 2 mags before it jams.

I never seen one that was totally reliable and if yours is congrats. I'm sure Remington would like to just forget that they ever made that model. (I wish I would have asked for a 10-22 instead!!)

As I think back to when I first started having trouble with my 522, it was when I was using the Remington Golden Bullets that are rated 1280 fps. In my testing with my metal magazines I've only used the Fed 745 (1260 fps) and the CCI Blazer (1235 fps)... It kind of makes me wonder now if these Vipers are preasure sensitive?

Now there is no doubt that with my 522 the original magazine is worthless as I can see it's flared out at the top where the rim of the cartridge rides, and my metal ones are not.

Food for thought...

I would agree that I would not rely on this rifle for any important shooting simply because of its given track record.

Joe, thanks for the tip on loading up the mags. That's exactly what I'm going to do in the mean time until I can get out with the gun again. Unfortunately my time at the range the other day was focused more on zeroing a scope on a different gun. I brought the Viper out for my son to shoot as well as give a preliminary test of the new magazine (which didn't go too well
frown.gif
). My polymer mag still functions "o.k." and will continue to suffice until I can spend a little time with the new mag. I may need to do some playing around with some different ammo. I was running some old stuff that was a bit corroded. I'm not real concerned at this point, I've had Butler Creek steel lip mags for the 10/22 that have had FTF problems for the first 3-5 mags and eventually worked themselves into reliably feeding magazines.

JMC, I completely agree with you as to giving up on the idea of the Viper being a "reliable" gun. As to whether the metal magazines are more reliable than the polymer, I can't comment at this point. For me, just getting a second magazine for a rifle I've had for about the same amount of time as you was a bonus. Remington really left us out to dry when it comes to getting any parts or accessories for the rifle. We are nomads in a harsh desert forced to scavenge for parts from the likes of Gunbroker and forum members who's rifles have taken their last shots.

My rifle was a gift from my dad as was yours and although I never really had any regrets for not receiving a 10/22, my dad still to this day wishes he had bought the 10/22
smirk.gif

Joe has re-sparked a bit of interest of mine in a gun that had largely been banished to the back of the safe. I don't ever expect the Viper to be something it's not (a 10/22), but the Viper is a fairly accurate rifle and I'm hoping a little "close time" spent with it, I can find a more prominent role for the rifle once received as a gift.

One thing you can see from the photo I posted is there is no bluing left on the barrel. I had some rust issues years ago and decided to take some steel wool to it.
shocked.gif
One project I have planed for the little rifle will be a Duracoat job in the not too distant future. A reworking of the trigger would certainly be time well spent as well. I will say again, the gun is really fun running it with a red dot scope. In the end, I may just decide to banish the scope to the darkness of the safe again, but for now and in the coming future, it's become a project. (My wife would say "as if (I) needed a new project"
eek.gif
)

K9-

I also have a 522 and had quite a few FTF but I recently disassembled the magazines (I have plastic ones) and pulled out the red feeder and ran the back of it over some sandpaper. I held the nub ( the piece that sticks through the magazine side) and sanded the backside a little then reinstalled it and the feeder moves so much smoother and easier. I hope this can help others. Let me know if you want photos I didnt take any when doing this.
Travis Lee

I have one sitting in the safe, all the mags were lost in the move 7 years ago. I'd sell it but doubt I could get much for it, especially with no mags.

Mags would no doubt be the deal breaker, but if someone has a Viper and willing to take another chance,,, who knows?

I have one mag and a great firing viper. I bought it when i was 18 and my god have i fed some ammo thru it. Ive had about 7 mags over the years and tbey all eventually wear out but the rifle fires great if anyone wants it for parts or repair. Mine has no sentimental value if someone can use it.

I have one mag and a great firing viper. I bought it when i was 18 and my god have i fed some ammo thru it. Ive had about 7 mags over the years and tbey all eventually wear out but the rifle fires great if anyone wants it for parts or repair. Mine has no sentimental value if someone can use it.
So, uh, are you posting this for sale (with your 9 posts)???

Last edited:
So, uh, are you posting this for sale (with your 9 posts)???
No sir i was offering it. I dont need to make any money on it and ive more than gotten good use out of it. I would have followed the sale guidelines were i wanting to post something for sale. I know there is a procedure that must be followed to do so.

No sir i was offering it. I dont need to make any money on it and ive more than gotten good use out of it. I would have followed the sale guidelines were i wanting to post something for sale. I know there is a procedure that must be followed to do so.
I apologize for the 9 posts. I think i may have pocket posted like 8 of those