• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington vs. Winchester Brass - Feedback Needed

UNCIVILIZED

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2004
Southwest, MI
Guys, I ain't done much reloading, but aim to change that. So my question is, what kind of experiences are folks having with Remington vs. Winchester brass?
I'm referring to; case prep requirements, primer hole concentricity, as well as primer pocket life, case longevity in general, etc. Particularly in belted magnum cartridges. Ah, also any other case TLC requirements which I forgot to mention that'd help me decide on a brand.

I ask, as I know that a few years back, Win. brass was the way to go, hands down. But now, some of the reviews I've read on it have me wondering if going with Rem. isn't a better bet.

Thanks in Advance

These days you take what you can get.

I've no experience with belted mags, but with the cartridges I load, I'd say Remington is better out of the bag. Fewer banged up case mouths, no gnarly bur on the outside of the case mouth like Winchester, and an overall "nicer" look. However, I think Winchester metallurgy is better. Seems to hold up a bit better.

That said, the RP 243 head stamp I've been running as 6SLR has been great.

I use Remington for my 7 mag. I have some Hornady and winchester as well but the Remington's some of my favorite too load.

I know if you load any of them hot every time you're going to get loose primer pockets, usually within 5 firings. I would not waste my time checking flasholes for concentricity, especially for hunting, just a quick inspection is fine and load em up.

Thanks for the info guys. And to clarify, the reason I asked about primer hole concentricity is that I plan on loading for precision. Not that I want a hunting rifle that patterns like a 12ga with an IC barrel :)

I would recommend Lapua or Norma. I have heard that Nosler is made by Norma, but I haven't used any. For precision loading, use the best components that you can get. Lapua.

Between the two, Rem vs Win, I've almost always used Win. Then I found this.

As stated above, why not Lapua. And it's also a use what ya can get deal now ain't it.

Attachments

• brass_failure.jpg
    brass_failure.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 277

As stated above, why not Lapua. And it's also a use what ya can get deal now ain't it.

The chart you posted doesn't specify the caliber. I know Norma makes Nosler in several different chamberings. The chart you posted doesn't show this. Also, in general, Norma/Nosler does not hold up well to hotter loads. The exception is Norma 300 WSM, which IMO is spectacular brass.

[MENTION=56108]1J04[/MENTION]

Could you please provide the source of that data you posted? I know I've come across that before, and seem to recall it came off as pretty legitimate, but I'd like to review the test process/methodology of it.

Pretty easy to skew the results if the test wasn't conducted *very* scientifically.

Could you please provide the source of that data you posted? I know I've come across that before, and seem to recall it came off as pretty legitimate, but I'd like to review the test process/methodology of it.

Pretty easy to skew the results if the test wasn't conducted *very* scientifically.

You bet, I'll try and track down the original article. I printed it out some time ago and have it at home.

You bet, I'll try and track down the original article. I printed it out some time ago and have it at home.

Thanks!

I just spent the last ~10 minutes google hunting. Looks like it came from Handloader magazine in 2008 or 2009. I can't find the article on the interwebz, but I can swear I've read it on a computer screen before.

Go to damn near bottom of page. I believe the article was in Handloader #257, but I cannot find the site where you can open it up. Should beable to post it up tonight.

http://www.opticstalk.com/best-varget-loads-for-308-win_topic16874_page2.html

Last edited:
I have used R-P, Win, Lapua, Norma and others. If you are buying current made brass it seems R-P has been very good in most respects. It is thicker than Win and thus you can not get the same amount of powder in the R-P case as you can a Win. It also seems as though some rifles favor one brand over another. I know my 7-08Ai loves win nickel brass and produces the best velocity too. My 308 40-X likes fed brass. If I could find Win nickel current production brass I would probably stock up on it in every caliber but obviously that isn't going to happen.
I have numerous custom rifles and can not tell a huge difference in using the more expensive Lapua, Norma brass over the others.
As others have mentioned , we use what we can get for now.
Bill

Depends on the caliber/type of weapon semi or bolt?
.308 WINchester hands down has best case capacity (51gr h2o)
300 blackout Lake City, thickest and most consistent.

The chart you posted doesn't specify the caliber. I know Norma makes Nosler in several different chamberings. The chart you posted doesn't show this. Also, in general, Norma/Nosler does not hold up well to hotter loads. The exception is Norma 300 WSM, which IMO is spectacular brass.

Handloader magazine, they were using a 308... gun used was a TRG, IIRC... and they were trying to duplicated the performance/accuracy of FGMM, again IIRC

great timing on this post since I am looking to get some new .308win brass. It would be invaluable if Handloader or some else was able to redo that testing based off current brass production. I am leaning towards Lapua but open to putting my $ in the right direction, my federal brass is not gonna last very long

If you like to push 'em fast, Win is the only way to go. Rem is the worst. Lapua is ok but will only take 3 or 4 hot loads before the primer pockets get loose. Winchesters can take it ;-)

Winchester seems to be head and shoulders above the rest in .308 brass

That's why you cant find ANY!

Lapua/Nosler/Hornady are like water

Winchester seems to be head and shoulders above the rest in .308 brass

That's why you cant find ANY!

When you can't find any because as soon as it becomes available it gets bought up, then that could be a reason. BUT, when it doesn't even come up on the market, that's another story. I believe Winchester is using all their brass in their factory loaded ammunition, with none left for reloaders. If you want Winchester brass at this point, you have to buy Winchester ammunition.

IIRC from his post ~15 years ago, the late Gale Mcmillan said that the smallest group ever shot was hanging on his shop wall, shot with .222 with Win brass, back when it was made better.

IIRC from his post ~15 years ago, the late Gale Mcmillan said that the smallest group ever shot was hanging on his shop wall, shot with .222 with Win brass, back when it was made better.

exactly what I'm curious to read about. 2008 vs 2014 is a different time and I am curious to see how the manufacturers and product has changed. with rising operating costs, cost of materials, etc, things will and do change, most often not for the better.

Winchester has not changed, my cousin works 16 hrs a day at the plant in Alton Illinois, he tells me that Winchester refuses to upgrade/automate, they are using same machinery from WWII!

If this pertains to .308, hard to pass on free "junk" Federal over Lapua for 2 loadings-----

I use Winchester in my 300WM and am on my 5th loading now with fairly warm loads. 2920fps with a 208 amax out of a 26" 5R barrel. The primer pockets are still nice and tight.

If you want good brass you should look at european brass.
The metallurgy is better, witch gives longer case life.
More consistently produced.
Flash holes consistency is a lot better as they are drilled and not punched, and yo usually wont find any burrs.

Lapua.
RUAg match.
Norma
RWS

If shooting belted mags, the Belted magnum collet die form innovative technologies will help improve case life and ensure function.

Last edited:
Comparing just those two, Remington, longer life. Average pressure loads 8-10 loadings. Winchester is a little softer but shoots just fine. Some other brands are probably better, more consistent, better metal, but also twice the price and hard to find, but I know guys that buy the European stuff and load them 20 times. I just hate losing them! In this market, shoot what you can find!

i got my hands on some winchester .308 brass, going to give it a go as my federal brass is already loosening up after 2 firings.. some of the primers just slide in like throwing a hotdog down a hallway

I got in some new winchester brass yesterday, weight sorted it ran +/- .3 grams and lengths were from 2.003 - 2.009. I FL sized, trimmed, tumbled, chamfer&deburred and primed. I was surprised at some of the brass in how little pressure I needed to seat the primers, hopefully they stay and don't loosen up too quickly.

I am gonna load up and shoot a bunch Friday… My understanding is to load them .5g more then my Fed brass

I have been using Lapua and Rem for my 260 and have to say that the Rem brass has almost as many loadings as my Lapua, at least with my brass. I also shoot Win, Nosler and now Rem brass in my 7 mag and the Rem brass so far has given me more loads without the primer pockets getting loose. Just my 2 cents worth.