• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

remingtons new barrels

Dantrom

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2009
northwest ohio
Re: remingtons new barrels

Its a fad. I am sure it has some practicality, but I have yet to see or hear of folks using them at matches. It the rifle came with it, shoot it till it wont hold a group, then get a replacment. I couldnt imagine the effort involved in getting the headspace and timing right to replace one.

CRAP!! Its not exactly new.. Just something different.. Its been around for about a year or 2 now. Its nothing to think about.. I thought it was something special my self until i read and looking into it and found out its just a new shape to make it look special. It takes away being able to put on a suppressor. Pretty much all it really is is just a fad. But a fad no one is really getting into...

Don't waste your time.. It might look cool to inexperienced gun owners or just your friends who aren't gun savy but its just retarded. It has more drawbacks then anything..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CK_32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CRAP!! Its not exactly new.. Just something different.. Its been around for about a year or 2 now. Its nothing to think about.. I thought it was something special my self until i read and looking into it and found out its just a new shape to make it look special. <span style="color: #FF0000">It takes away being able to put on a suppressor</span>. Pretty much all it really is is just a fad. But a fad no one is really getting into...

Don't waste your time.. It might look cool to inexperienced gun owners or just your friends who aren't gun savy but its just retarded. It has more drawbacks then anything.. </div></div>

How is that ?

Have it threaded and attach the suppressor, no big deal.

The hard part is finding the triangle-shaped bullets to fire in them. Cabela's is supposed to have them back in stock soon.

Fad. It's basically a barrel with three giant flat (as opposed to scalloped) flutes.

I don't know suppressors are circular.. Barrel is a triangle.. If I remember correctly that red triangle piece never fit in that roundish looking one for me for all those years.
blush.gif

educational_toys_shape_sort.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CK_32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know suppressors are circular.. Barrel is a triangle.. If I remember correctly that red triangle piece never fit in that roundish looking one for me for all those years.
blush.gif

educational_toys_shape_sort.jpg
</div></div>

Well I guess it's a good thing you don't put the suppressor inside of the barrel then. Pretty sure you can set that round block on top of the triangle w/o any trouble though. If you wanted to shove it through you may run into issues but I don't see too many people trying to shove their suppressor through their barrel otherwise even the circle/circle scenario may still present problems unless you've invented a suppressor that uses some state of the art material mankind isn't aware of.

You might wanna re-read what I posted and think about what you just said....

Triangle barrel... triangle piece.. Circular pressor... Circle slot.. Maybe you need to go back to your wooden blocks again.

But I guess it would be possible but I don't see how it would hold and seal with the gaps left over between the sloped edges in the cylinder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CK_32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might wanna re-read what I posted and think about what you just said....

Triangle barrel... triangle piece.. Circular pressor... Circle slot.. Maybe you need to go back to your wooden blocks again.

But I guess it would be possible but I don't see how it would hold and seal with the gaps left over between the sloped edges in the cylinder. </div></div>

YOU dont know how a can works then if you think that the outside of the can seals to the barrel ....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CK_32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might wanna re-read what I posted and think about what you just said....

But I guess it would be possible but I don't see how it would hold and seal with the gaps left over between the sloped edges in the cylinder. </div></div>

No but that's what the duct tape is for.

I miss the days when people at least attempted to understand the most fundamental facts of a topic before trying to argue about it. At least it made for interesting conversations. These days it's so far fetched it's not even worthy of a response.

DSC00457.jpg

Dont mind the man in the dress, but look at the barrel and can ...... its a triangle LTR barrel with a can on it and it shoots just fine.

The end of the barrel gets turned round and threaded, then you screw it on. What part are you missing? Its a pretty simple concept.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
DSC00457.jpg

Dont mind the man in the dress, but look at the barrel and can ...... its a triangle LTR barrel with a can on it and it shoots just fine. </div></div>

Who lost the bet?

Yea i must be missing the point here. Because what I'm envisioning doesn't many since on how that works..

And my understanding is poor on suppressors.. I wasn't arguing the fact of how a suppressor works.. just the point that he tried booing me and his insult was way off.

But anyways these barrels aren't anything special or do anything all other barrels don't. For the OP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CK_32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yea i must be missing the point here. Because what I'm envisioning doesn't many since on how that works..

And my understanding is poor on suppressors.. I wasn't arguing the fact of how a suppressor works.. just the point that he tried booing me and his insult was way off.

But anyways these barrels aren't anything special or do anything all other barrels don't. For the OP. </div></div>

Some people just don't know when to shut up and walk away. A little advice CK_32: 'It is better to be thought a fool then open your mouth and remove all doubt.'

...you don't have to post something to every thread. Stick to what you know.

The idea behind the VTR profile is that a triangular barrel profile will have more strength than a cylindrical barrel of equivalent WEIGHT.

Note weight, not circumference or diameter.

The problem with that being that most of us ARE willing to accept a small additional amount of weight for additional stiffness over the triangular design.

The other oddity here is that Remington seems to have used the VTR on rifles which it then markets for benchrest and target rather than hunting. Which suggests to me that to them its little more than a sales gimmick. If they were trying to market this logically, they would be going after the hunting segment with that feature and argument trying to say that you should buy their rifle because this is a better hunting gun since the barrel can be lighter.

As far as the suppressor argument, remember that a suppressor attaches to a small area at the end of the barrel which has been milled down to a threaded cylinder. The Barrel could be shaped like a solid dodecahedron for all we care, so long as the inch or so the suppressor will attach to has been shaved down to the appropriate shape and threading.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joey762</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oddball-Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The idea behind the VTR profile is that a triangular barrel profile will have more strength than a cylindrical barrel of equivalent WEIGHT.

Note weight, not circumference or diameter.

The problem with that being that most of us ARE willing to accept a small additional amount of weight for additional stiffness over the triangular design.

The other oddity here is that Remington seems to have used the VTR on rifles which it then markets for benchrest and target rather than hunting. Which suggests to me that to them its little more than a sales gimmick. If they were trying to market this logically, they would be going after the hunting segment with that feature and argument trying to say that you should buy their rifle because this is a better hunting gun since the barrel can be lighter.</div></div>

The stiffness to weight ratio I guess would make sense for them making it that way, although I'm not really sure how the triangular shape improves that ratio, but thats because I'm no engineer. Good to know if its true, where did you get that info? Also if that is the case than you're right for sure, they're obviously marketing this for the wrong market.
</div></div>

You might find this very interesting.

http://www.americanhunter.org/Webcontent/pdf/2009-6/200962-hardware.pdf

A similar patent for this kind of structural engineering has existed in building materials for a while. The idea is that you can better tolerate the stresses of horizontal and vertical shearing.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=3vo1AAA...tem&f=false

Frankly, when applied to the practical forces of a firearm, its a gimmick. The way that force is applied to a barrel does create a harmonic as the bullet traverses the rifling to the muzzle however the forces present here are not such that the scant weight savings gained by the VTR profile somehow overcome the value of the strength of a slightly heavier cylidrical barrel.

The actual weight saved is pretty slim based on the profile that Remington is using for the way they actually did the barrels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The hard part is finding the triangle-shaped bullets to fire in them. Cabela's is supposed to have them back in stock soon. </div></div>
Thats a good one!! LMAO!!