• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remmington question? And more

ak0prter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2010
TX
I'm looking at getting a remmington rifle in .30-06 and not sure which one to get. I have had several 700's and loved each one, but academy has a remmington 770 on sale. What is the difference between the 700 and the 770? Nobody in the store seems to know anything other then the detachable mag that comes with it. And will 700 aftermarket parts fit the 770?

Thanks for any input,
Sean

Since I'm already posting this, what about a savage or howa? Anyone have any recomendations or reasons one is better then the other? I have only owned remmingtons and just don't want to get tunnel vision.

Re: Remmington question? And more

I'm pretty sure the 770 is the "economy" version. If you are trying to save money, I'd recommend a savage rifle.

Well I'm planning on hunting with this rifle, but also want to be able to shoot long range with it and possibly enter some local matches in the future. But for now is just to hunt with. My only concern is that I will buy one now, and need another rifle later, just trying to make one fit all the roles for now.

Ok so here's the deal with factory rifles. They almost all shoot 1.5 moa or better. Thats a little more accuracy than you would need for the average hunting shot. What it really comes down to (in my opinion) is the action and the caliber.

The 700 action is simple, reliable and has countless after-market parts. The Savage action is similar but with fewer after-market parts. Generally, its a smoother running action straight from the factory (though that has almost nothing to do with "quality"). A 30-06 or .308 would be good choice in caliber (leaning towards .308).

I don't know anything about Howa, but using the google search tool for SH (http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=010955838166721108978:qcbx5qqy10o&hl=en), you should be able to find out anything you need.

Any of the actions that you listed are better than the 770. I would stay away from it. It is definitely not of the same quality as the others. I have had ample experience with the Savages, the Rem 700 and Weatherby Vanguard (aka Howa). They all shoot great. If you are trying to get the most bang for the buck, in my opinion I would go with the Savage. As for aftermarket products, you will not have trouble finding them unless you are doing an all out build and even then there are options.