• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Remmy 5R Factory Ammo suggestions needed

opeagle

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2009
Ohio
I am down to two weeks before my class and I need advice on ammo. My question is which factory loads do you think will be my "best bet"?

I sorta have it down to:
Federal GMM in 168 or 175
Black Hills in 168 or 175
HSM Amax in 168 or 175
HSM HPBT in 168

Since I am cutting this close, I don't have time to try each one. The class will be 400 yards and under.

Re: Remmy 5R Factory Ammo suggestions needed

I'm guessing you haven't shot the rifle yet (at least with any of the ammo you listed), so you don't know what works best for your particular setup.

Rifles, like women, can be pretty particular about their likes and dislikes. General recommendations for your setup may or may not work all that well or as well as they might in other setups.

All things being equal, since you are looking for something in a hurry, is buy either the FGMM or BH match loads in which ever load you can find in stock. Performance on all of them should be fairly good from your rifle. Both mfgs offer pretty consistent, reliable and accurate ammo. If you are only shooting 400yds and in, and you don't have any plans to stretch out further than that in the future, there is nothing wrong with the 168gr offerings. If you plan to get out past 800yds, you'll have trouble doing it with the 168gr loads, so go with the 175gr stuff instead.

In addition to the loads you mentioned, you may also check out the Cor-bon offerings. When I am not rolling my own, I have had good results with the Cor-bon 155gr Scenar and 175gr SMK offerings.

Again...YMMV.

Yes, you are correct it has not been shot at all. The rifle wont be finished until later next week.

Thanks for those thoughts, that's the stuff I need from those who know.

My 5R shoots FGMM and BH great but it loves the BH 175's the best.It will shoot 1-1/2" to 2" groups all day long @ 300yds.

In my new Rem 5R, I am finding the FGMM 168 to shoot better than M118, which impacts about 2 minutes higher (as expected) and with about 50% increase in group size, and M852, which performs near identically to its commercial FGMM 168 equivilent. This has proven consistent from 200-600 yds with a limited sample of 200 rds total so far.

I just bought a 5R and I ordered the FGMM in 175s. I'm waiting on my Super Sniper glass to get here to go test. Apparently they are on backorder right now.

Which SS did you order? Did they give you a timeline?

I ordered the 10x42 non-HD version ($299.00)...and I just went to check on my order and the website is down. I don't have a warm fuzzy with this purchase experience right now.

Update: Website is back up and I have word that my glass will be here in a few days...happy dude!

I wound up with the Fed GMM 168's for the class.

WW. Glad SWFA has your glass on the way.