• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remmy 700 Question

91xlt

Private
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2007
Phila., PA
I am wondering what needs to be done to go from a R700 ADL (blind magazine) to a DBM, (detachable box magazine).

I understand the stock...LOL, but does the receiver need modifying or is it simply swapping out and or in bottom metal , magazine, follower etc...???

Hope I am being clear in my question.

Re: Remmy 700 Question

If you are wanting to go to Remington's DBM then the actions needs modifying. There are no 'feed rails' to speak of, the DBM guides the cartriges. Better off going to HS etc because modifying the reciever to accept Remington's setup means you can't go back.

so the HS, Badger, Surgeon, etc, all need no mods?
Have NO interrest in the Rem DBM...been down that road
wink.gif

As far as I know they don't. Never owned any of them. However I have owned a Remington factory setup that wouldn't feed for shit so was going to switch it to a regular BDL setup but then 'I got some learnin'!!! As you didn't mention anything in particular I thought perhaps you were wanting the factory setup.

The only time you need to mod the bottom of the receiver is to feed longer cartridges from modified AICS mags or from the long-spec Alpha mags.
Unmodified AICS mags and others of the type feed just fine without modification of the receiver.
If you want to use AIAW mags, the bottom of the receiver needs to be opened up some more.

A while back I called Remington and asked if there was a difference between an action from a BDL and one from a DM, and their response was no, the actions were identical. I was thinking about moving my DM barreled action to a BDL stock (never did) and Remington told me it was a simple swap, just different bottom pieces. Little off topic, but in response to an earlier post in this thread.

On topic, the only difference I have seen between ADL actions and others is sometimes a screw holds the magazine to the receiver using a small tab on the magazine. The screw seems superfluous.

If you don't believe me then have a look for yourself. The one I am referring to was a 260 stainless when they first came out. So fall of 97 or thereabout. Unless they changed their setup later? All I can say after owning and working on more than 100 700's I do know what 'feed rails' are supposed to look like and this one didn't have any to speak of!
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: claudesapp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
On topic, the only difference I have seen between ADL actions and others is sometimes a screw holds the magazine to the receiver using a small tab on the magazine. The screw seems superfluous. </div></div>

So all of your Remington's have the same feed rails irregardless of caliber? The 222/223 is different than the 243/308 and the mags have less material yet! Other than that yes the ADL and BDL are the same other that finish in some models. The screw is there to prevent the mag box from slipping out of reciever and rattling around in the magwell in the stock.

I was told by a Remington CS employee about 2yrs ago they never had any 40-XB rimfire parts either. He gave me a name and number of who they sold them to. A gent at that company just laughed when I called and repeated what I was told, they had absolutely NO 40-XB parts and never had! Just because 1 Remington employee in CS said something doesn't make it true. Sure others will attest to misinformation from Remington or for that matter other manufacturers. Unless they have been there for some time and actually know the models inside and out you never know what you might hear. An engineer, designer or someone actually working on warranty etc is a far cry above a desk jockey with access to a phone line.

Geez man, wasn't trying to start an argument, just trying to share what I have seen in my experience. I said I never pursued the DM stock change, so I never ran into the issue you mention. I also never said all my 700s had the same feed rails "regardless" of caliber. The OP asked about stock change, not caliber change. Of course they can differ, and 2156SMK alluded to this. Your explanation of the screw makes total sense, I can see the need now that you describe it.

I'm new to this board, and really just want to share and learn, from you and others that have much more experience in a lot of things. I wasn't trying to say I knew it all and was categorically correct about everything, just trying to participate in discussion. I do believe you, in fact this weekend I am going to take apart my DM and take a look. You have me interested now! If you don't mind telling me, what should I look for in the feed rails (or lack thereof) on the action?

The feed rails should be the same width front to back on a DM setup. The lips of the mag retain the cartridges instead of the feed rails.

On a conventional box mag setup the smaller the caliber/case the thicker the rails are at the back. Going forward the feed rails get thinner allowing the cartridge to come up out of the mag box at the correct point and into the chamber without bullet nosing into one side or other of the counterbore on a Remington reciever.

Used a 223 action to build a 6x47Lapua on a while back. Had to remove some material and polish everything real good so the larger diameter of the 6x47Lap wouldn't push too far to right or left, depending on what side of the mag box it was coming from. Went from about 60% failure to feed to 95%+. Still not perfect but sure won't waste time using a reciever intended for a different diameter cartridge in the future. If you remove too much then your only option would be one of the aftermarket setups with mag lips to feed either staggered or from the center.

Hope that makes sense!

Just to followup, I finally had a chance to look at Remington DM and BDL actions and SDWhirlwind is totally correct, they are different. Exactly the opposite of what two persons at Remington told me (one in warranty support too)! The DM receiver is missing the feed lips that are on the BDL receiver. I really don't see any way to easily make a DM barreled action work with BDL bottom metal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: claudesapp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really don't see any way to easily make a DM barreled action work with BDL bottom metal. </div></div>

It's a lot of work to get nowhere, and I'm not suggesting anyone do it, but I was stuck there once and found a relatively simple solution. Wyatt's Outdoors makes a mag box for the 700 that incorperates the feed rails in the box.

The Wyatt's, this is an internal mag box for the BDL bottom metal? I'm going to try and google it now...