• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Removable Muzzle Brake

LearningAsIGo

Private
Minuteman
May 19, 2012
I am in the process of deciding on the final little pieces of a build that should be complete around October. I am having a 6.5CM built and want a removable muzzle brake as I will be switching the brake with a thread-on can periodically. I have read all the threads I've found on removable brakes and found quite a few options mentioned, but I have some questions on some.

FTE - Not interested
Dark Metal HK style Brake - Have seen almost no mention in searches on these, is that a sign to stay away?
RAD Brake - Looks interesting. My fall-back option.
Removable Muscle Brake - Don't see it listed on CSR's page anymore, they now only mention the Blast Tamer. Is it in production still?
Blast Tamer - Anyone have experience with this one?
Ratworx Big Chubby - I like this one, but again can't find it in production. Is it still made?

Are there any that I am missing?

Last edited:
No problem..it's hidden on page 6 of the accessories. I've had the badger mini FTE and MRAD both are great

I've heard good things about the FTE, I just want to avoid having to turn the barrel down for it. The MRAD was what I was set on until I came accross the Big Chubby (and now the gen 2 Bastards).

The new APA brakes do look awesome.
The Mini FTE doesn't require the barrel to be turned down. It's similar to the MRAD. But the APA does look like it offers great functionality as well as not having to really worry about a gap at the shoulder

What's your barrel thickness? I bought a RAD brake for my varmint contour pac-nor(.87) and it was thinner then my barrel. It would have looked like shit so I'm selling my RAD and getting something else. Keep that in mind. Look at outer diameters and then that might really cut down your choices

What's your barrel thickness? I bought a RAD brake for my varmint contour pac-nor(.87) and it was thinner then my barrel. It would have looked like shit so I'm selling my RAD and getting something else. Keep that in mind. Look at outer diameters and then that might really cut down your choices

I went heavy palma for this so I'm at .90.

Right now, I'm torn between the RAD, the APA, and the Big Chubby.

If anyone has the OD and length of the RAD, APA, and Chubby (or any of them) I'd be greatly appreciative.

I have the new apa and it's pretty awesome. Only used it for one range trip before I got to pick up my 30P1 tho. I don't have any experience with the others.

If you dont mind just unscrewing your muzzle brake I just received my ross brake, for 45 bucks i cant say why would you wanna go with much else and does it work, works great!!!! had my gf shoot she said it felt like her dads AR.