• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remove soaked-in oil from old shotgun stock?

gnochi

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
May 6, 2019
Orange County, CA
One of the guns I inherited from my grandad is a 1930 LC Smith side-by-side (originally his father’s). The wood is mostly in good shape, and the finish is nearly pristine. I’d like to keep it that way when I use it for doves every year, in part because I think one of the best ways to honor them is to use their tools to do what they loved.

The consensus for Elsies seems to be to do the following:
  1. Get all of the oil out of the wood in the inlet
  2. Wick superglue into any cracks and gently clamp the cracks closed
  3. Bed the action and locks (so they still fit) to the stock with acraglass gel, reinforcing any cracks with staples suturing across then
Does anyone have a favorite process for removing oil from wood? I’ve seen recommendations for painting on a mix of diatomaceous earth and mineral spirits, and brushing it off and replacing it when discolored or dry, but I want to make sure I’m not missing anything that could cause serious issues.

(The waiting list for gunsmiths who do a lot of L.C. Smith work is very very long, and that crowd isn’t getting younger, so I’d like to learn to do my own work.)

Reactions: camocorvette
You're talking museum level restoration. An "OK" method is 100% mineral spirits with a heat gun on low. Work on a small area and when it bubbles up blot it off. But it sounds like you have thoroughly researched your options in that community.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're talking museum level restoration. An "OK" method is 100% mineral spirits with a heat gun on low. Work on a small area and when it bubbles up blot it off. But it sounds like you have thoroughly researched your options in that community.

Thank you! For clarity, how would you recommend applying the mineral spirits?

And yeah, museum-level restoration sounds a bit excessive - but I do want functional!

Reactions: camocorvette
I've done exactly as that video shows...it works extremely well.

I refinished my buddies 9422 he's had forever. The gun literally lived in the rafters of the milking barn. Went in the tractor nearly daily. Went coon hunting anytime he was planning on skinning a coon. I'd say it saw pretty extreme use. Finish was gone. His way to keep it running was spray it with whatever was nearby. Wd40. Liquid wrench. Literally whatever was handy.

The breakdown was nasty. I've never seen so much crud come from a rifle. The wood turned out great when I was done.

Just let the wood dry out a while after the cleaning.

Back in the 80s, I had access to a heated vapor degreaser full of MEK. Never found better for degreasing milsurps and stocks. That said, you can use a solvent , whiting and sunlight. It takes a while.

Reactions: gnochi
I refinished my Citori skeet gun stock last winter and ended up soaking it in a foil pan filled with acetone for a day, then lightly sanding and soaking it again before I got all of the oil out. Acetone can really dry the wood out though and cause it to split or crack, so use at your own risk. I also got a little container of whiting compound from Brownells and tried that first, but it just didn't seem to be working like I thought it should.

You can see some of the oil on the left side of the fore end in this picture, that's where it mated up to the metal.
g6Ld8DC.jpg

Here's the final product
O0oIwT7.jpg

Laquer thinner works well, too.

you can buy 5 gallon pails of laquer thinner as paint gun cleaner for cheap. It is an excellent solvent.

soak, let dry. Soak, let dry. Heat gun helps.

the challenge with an LC is that it is a sidelock. And getting those four fingers of stock wood repaired to last is very hard. They are stressed heavily on firing. And bedding is tough because the sidekicks need to be removable.

Often getting a 99 percent inletted new stock is going to work out better. But I totally understand preserving the original as well.

Sirhr

Last edited:
My approach with 60-80 y/o Garand wood has been to saturate the wood with a mixture of odorless mineral spirits and isopropyl alcohol. All metal caps and liners, etc., should be removed beforehand. The solvent ratio is not critical as long as one or the other constitutes at least 1/3 of the mix, purer alcohols (90% vs 70%, 99% is usable but dries out hands unmercifully) can reduce grain welling from the included water. I do this in several passes, keeping the wood saturated by rewiping it with paper toweling saturated in the mix, and working over the surface with fine textured 3M Scotch Brite to remove old finish residue. Avoid rounding off any edges or decorative carving. Checkering can be scrubbed out with a moderately stiff brush (no metal).

Staining, as observed above on the shotgun forend, originating with metal contact, has a good chance of being at least partially due to iron oxidation staining. A mild acid, like lemon juice, can neutralize and also bleach out some of that; but you may have to live with some of it. I use unsweetened lemonade mix. Be very careful, acids/alkalines can ruin bluing. The acid itself may be neutralized with a mild solution of sodium bicarbonate. Finish it all up with another pass using the spirits/alcohol mix.

Eventually, give it a good chance to deep dry. Be certain it's bone dry.

Assuming an oil finish is the goal; use the chosen oil finish material oil, heavily diluted with the spirit/alcohol mix, to saturate the new cork-dry wood. Do it at least twice to drive that finish deep into the wood grain.

Again, give it a good chance to deep dry. Deep cracks get filed with a combination of the chosen finish material, very fine sandpaper, and elbow grease. Wet sand atop the cracks with this, using large circles to pick off surface wood evenly, building up a muddy slurry of very fine wood dust and the finishing material. Work the mud into the blemish, leaving it a tiny bit mounded.

This is a furniture refinisher's trick. It makes up a filler that's identical in solid and finish resin components to the overall wood and finish itself. It's indistinguishable from the natural wood. Allow it t dry/harden (this minimizes cracking), then cut it back down to the wood surface with the fine sandpaper.

This filling step should be repeated, with ample time for curing between passes, until very fine sandpaper shows only a sheen where the blemish once was.

This may take weeks, almost all of it spent waiting for things to dry/harden.

At this point apply the finish as you normally would. A thinner finish, rather than a thicker one, is my own personal goal. We use oil because it can be easily repaired.

Greg

Last edited:
Old Honor Guard trick, has always worked for me. I used to soak our surplus Garand stocks with Easy Off, rinse them off, let them dry, sand as needed and then refinish with tung oil.

Progress Photos:
  1. LC Smith and Marlin 336 inlets painted with lacquer thinner and diatomaceous earth to remove the soaked in oil. There was quite a lot of it; probably 5-6 paint / wait a day / brush off / repaint cycles on both guns. Note to self: store muzzle-down.
  2. LC Smith stock after several paper towels soaked with lacquer thinner. I’m less interested in completely refinishing the entire stock, and more interested in making sure I can blend the areas next to the action inlets in with the rest of the stock after bedding. There is one chip next to one lock, one small crack next to the other lock, and a long crack between a vertical web and one of the action supports.
  3. Marlin 336 stock after a couple paper towels with lacquer thinner. Since I need to refinish one end of the stock after bedding, the other end of the stock after making a recoil pad, and the forend after bedding to the action and barrel, might as well redo the entire thing.
I’m really surprised by how much nicer the wood is on the Field Grade LC Smith from 1930, than the Marlin 336 from 1965. It’s not a best gun but it’s still some of the nicest wood I’ve ever seen.

Attachments

• 9602FD61-956B-4F21-8029-90CB24E142E8.jpeg
    9602FD61-956B-4F21-8029-90CB24E142E8.jpeg
    475.1 KB · Views: 359
  • 7BD274A5-D005-47CB-89E5-E57FC7CCB3E5.jpeg
    7BD274A5-D005-47CB-89E5-E57FC7CCB3E5.jpeg
    415.6 KB · Views: 168
  • D48AA7C4-2382-469F-9EE1-2C1069E0C38E.jpeg
    D48AA7C4-2382-469F-9EE1-2C1069E0C38E.jpeg
    423.4 KB · Views: 269
Almost fully-disassembled action. The cocking cams are press fit onto the cocking rods, and the safety sear pin is peened onto the safety sear. Otherwise, I’m good to proceed as planned:
  • Clean off 80 years of grime
  • Bed the action to the stock
  • Reinforce the wood such that it doesn’t interfere with the locks, trigger plate, safety bar, etc.
  • Screw together a couple small cracks
  • Give the metal parts a light coat of oil
  • Give the stock a few coats of Tru Oil

Attachments

• B3E25906-01B9-476C-9C49-C4BB0B9C2F0C.jpeg
    B3E25906-01B9-476C-9C49-C4BB0B9C2F0C.jpeg
    419.5 KB · Views: 100
  • 151F6511-64A6-4A9E-B8DF-E4D754DDA5A3.jpeg
    151F6511-64A6-4A9E-B8DF-E4D754DDA5A3.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 20185670-7FF9-4DFF-A6D8-FCFEBBDEF4FE.jpeg
    20185670-7FF9-4DFF-A6D8-FCFEBBDEF4FE.jpeg