• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remove X-Mark Pro Adjustment Screw

ridenrunwv

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2013
Charleston, WV
I was messing with seeing how light I could get the factory X-Mark Pro trigger on my new Remington 700 and ended up removing the adjustment screw... Do I need to replace the adjustment screw or is it OK to just leave it off? I didn't like the fact that the screw stuck out when I adjusted it lighter.

The problem with removing it is the tiny spring can get slack (no pressure on it) and results in inconsistant trigger weights. It might break at 2.5, then 2.3, then 2.75 or even 3 lbs. What you can try ( i have not) is go to ace and buy a smaller set screw, one with a flat head, and file it down to size. Bevel the other end and try just to put enough pressure on the spring to keep it still. Make the length so it does not stick out. The Xmark is pretty bullet proof, so there should be no risk of accidental discharge, but do this at your own risk. The proper answer is to consult a qualified gunsmith and all that jazz.

If this is on a hunting rig, wont really matter.

Other than that you can always get a Timney.

Last edited:
Rifle will be my first long range rifle for mostly target shooting but hunting also. I'm planning on upgrading the trigger later down the road but am going to at least stick with the X-Mark Pro for a while.

Thanks a lot for your response. I'll replace the screw and file it down or cap it with something to cover the sharp edges.

On my SPSS it didnt matter how much I turned the screw, the feel was the same, gave it away, bought a Jewell.

On my SPSS it didnt matter how much I turned the screw, the feel was the same, gave it away, bought a Jewell.

Maybe they set them near the lowest weight from factory because I agree on loosening the adjustment screw not doing much.

The GA tuned X-mark that came on my custom rifle was set at 2.5#. I wanted to get it lighter, but the screw didn't change much. I backed the screw out until it almost fell out, and then left it. Pull is nice and crisp and set at about 2#.

Thanks for the video dieselgeek. I'm going to shoot the rifle with the trigger how it is right now but before buying a new trigger will probably try my luck working on the factory trigger.

I just got a remington 700 AAC-SD with an Xmark pro. The screw sticking out is a little annoying but honestly with proper finger on the trigger placement I dont really feel it. It also came extremly light I would guess its maybe 3lbs at most and nice crisp and solid. Especially being brand new to shooting I wouldnt mess with the trigger that much. You dont need the lightest trigger on the planet in fact if you plan to do something other then bench rest you need a little pull weight to ensure safety. You dont want the rifle going off if you drop it or smack it against something while carrying it. I would put the screw back in and give it a turn or two at least. Thats just my .02.

I'll eventually replace the trigger but for now I'm shopping around for a base and rings. Gonna stick with the factory trigger as long as I can.